Okee Tips (from the past)

Old April 1st, 2004, 11:05 PM
Dwayne E. Cooper

Default Okee Tips (from the past)

Since I've got another keeper (girl) on the way in late
May...I've known that there is no way I could make this upcoming Okee
trip with you guys...but I am mighty envious and thought that I'd
repost some of my old messags on Okeechobee that might educate,
refresh or even entertain ya!

Cooper's 10 tips to success on Lake Okeechobee:

1. Get a good map, study it, take it with you on the water and
take it slow...learning the major features (islands/landmarks) of the
lake. Don't try to fish the lake in an entire day...or week...or
month...or year...

2. If you think you might be lost or are a little unsure as to
where you are at...don't be afraid to ask someone on the lake where
you are at...or where you want to go. It's a big lake with a million
trails. Spending all night on the lake can be a truly educational
experience...

3. The lake's water level fluctuates (almost like it tilts)
depending on the wind direction...so you should generally fish the
wind-blown side of the lake/structures. However, you should avoid
dirty water.

4. The bass on Okee love the eelgrass (dark green eel-like
looking grass/plant) and peppergrass (very bushy thick grass). Either
find a picture of what the grasses look like or have someone down
there show you what it looks like... Flipping bullrushes can produce
nice strings of fish too.

5. The bass on Okee often bunch up around openings. Find places
that have several openings in an area.

6. Where there is one Okee bass, you can bet there is
two.

7. Use good stout tackle. Leave your wimpy northern gear at
home unless you want to fish for crappie (great crappie lake...BTW).
You should use at least 14 lb test line (20lb works great). Ever try
worm fishing with a flipping stick? Now is a good time to learn.

9. After setting the hook on an Okee bass...bring him straight
to the boat.

10. These lures work great on Okeechobee...
1) Rattltraps (chrome blue)
2) Shallow jerkbaits (ie. Bang-O-Lure)
3) Black/chart. buzzbaits (great big-fish bait)
4) 1/2 oz. white tandem spinnerbaits
5) Top water prop baits (ie. Nippidee)
6) Gator-tail worms (wide tail is easy to find)
7) Grape straight-tail worms (ie. Producto)
8) Black/blue-tailed worms (ie. Gambler)
9) Natural colored crankbaits (in rim canal/rivers)
10) Crappie minnow...:

Going to Okeechobee

In 87 and 88 (I believe), my dad and I had the good fortune to
guide on Lake Okeechobee as the number one and two guides out of Moore
Haven Recreational Village (best marina on the water for quick access
to the lake - no lock). This experience was a great break for myself
from my last semester at Indiana University and, after we learned the
lake, we had a lot of bass over seven pounds (what we considered
lunker status) for clients during that season.

One winter, we went back for a vacation and spent 7 or 8 days on
the lake. I was amazed at how much Lake Okeechobee had changed over
the years. There was many more weeds and many of the major trails
were impassible. What amazed me the most...was how the inner part of
the lake had filled in with increased weed growth.
The one day we bass fished (with shiners that we baited and
caught ourselves)...we lucked out and landed a 12 pound 4 ounce bass
along with two 7s and a couple over 5 pounds. Believe it or not,
these fish came from the exact same spot that had produced over 10
years ago (during that time of year).
I could go on and on about the lake. Like many lakes, it can be
hit or miss and timing is important. Although Okeechobee is billed to
be one the "great" bass fishing spots in the US (and it is a good lake
for bass fishing)...the bass fishing does not compare with several
other lakes...and wouldn't rank in my top 10 bass lakes/rivers.

However, in my opinion, Lake Okeechobee is the place to go for
crappie fishing. During this last trip, we spent every day, except
for one, fishing for crappie. Not counting "hand-sized" throwbacks,
one night we had 176 nice-sized crappie in a 4 hour period of time. I
would advise the vacationer to split his time up bass fishing (with a
guide) with shiners and crappie fishing and also take some time on the
south end of the lake (on the warmer days) viewing the gators,
birds and other outstanding sights...

On Okeechobee, how can bait the area to attract wild shiners?

Easier said than done...but here goes:

1. In the rim canal or a deep trail off of it, pick 5 likely
spots to target shiners. (ie. opening of small trail and bait this
spot at the outer edge of the pads and in the middle of the opening)
It may take a lot of experimenting to find the right spots. BTW...do
not jump on other peoples shiner holes... There is a reason all law
enforcement officers are young down there...ya know...:

2. Get some hog feed and bait the spot with a couple of pounds of
feed (healthy scoop or two)

3. Wait 2 days...

4. Come back and throw out a small handful of oats in the area.
Wait 5 minutes. Use a 10' cast net and toss out. It takes a long
time to get this down right... However, you have to make your 1st
cast count!

OR

4. To catch by pole: Boil up some spaghetti and roll it in the
smallest of balls. Put it on the smallest of long shank hooks...I'm
thinking at least a #14 or #16. Use a long crappie rod with the
smallest bobber available. When the bobber just barely starts to move
downward...gently lift upward and toward your boat. It takes a long
time to get this down right...but 2 guys can get 4 to 6 dozen in an
hour or two if they know what they are doing.

Obviously, there is a reason why shiners are expensive.
Experiment and try to catch shiners...but don't waste your vacation
trying to catch shiners instead of bass!

--
Dwayne E. Cooper, Atty at Law
Indianapolis, IN