Spinning setup

Old May 28th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Bucket Mouth

Default Spinning setup

Hi guys.

I was thinking of purchasing a nice spinning setup. I usually fish with
just baitcasters, but its easier to skip tubes and flukes with a
spinning reel.

Right now I own one spinning setup. A Shimano Sidestab reel with a 6'6"
Bass Pro Shops med/heavy rod. I also fih with 10-12 lb. line.

Anybody have any advice on a good rig for around $130 or so? I like the
trigger on the spinning reels, and I'm thinking I might want a 7' rod
instead of the 6'6" one I already have.

Thanks a bunch!

Old May 28th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Bob La Londe

Ho wmuch do you want to spend? I just recently purchased a medium power St
Criox Avid series spinning rod that I am really impressed with. It has a
fast action instead of a medium action which makes it just about perfect for
lighter line and soft plastic presentations.

I fished it last weekend with a Pflueger supreme 40 series spinning reel and
it worked very well.

Retail at The Sportsman's Hide-A-Way was 89.95 for the rod not on sale, and
I got the Pflueger Supreme on sale a while back from Bass Pro Shops for
39.95. I think regular price is $59.95.

I fished it with 12 lb Seaguar pure fluorocarbon. It worked very very well.
I landed plenty of fish with it. I love it for pitching a wacky rigged
weightless stick worm to the edges of cover. It worked good for tossing
under docks as well.

I definitely prefer the 7' rods for this type of fishing except in very very
close quarters.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

Old May 29th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Bucket Mouth

I was looking at Shimano Spirex and Solstace. Anybody use either of
these?

They both come in front drag or rear drag. Not to sound too ignorant,
but what is the difference between front and rear drag?

Old May 29th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Bob Rickard

Rear drags are a little easier to adjust while playing a fish, but front
drags are far smoother and work better due to larger contact areas of the
actual drag contact surfaces.
--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

Old May 29th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

Front or rear drag is all a mental thing. Using the anti reverse setting on
a reel is required in both ways of adjusting the drag. Always set your drag
lighter, if you can, then when the anti reverse does it thing the line won't
take all the strain. You have to train your brain that there is only a
perceived problem. "Obsessive compulsive disorder". Talk to it like a
little kid and retrain it. Brain, it's OK that the drag is in the front,
it's AUK that the drag is in the front ;-) Once the anti reverse is engaged
both front and rear drags are exactly the same to adjust. The handle stops
and it won't getcha. It's just that one is in the front and the brain's
perception is your hand will get tangled in the line or interfere with it
coming off of the spool. It's just the brain being stupid, is all. Well,
mine, anyways ;-) Doesn't this make sense when you think about it? Front
drag is the better drag, of the two, so over ride the brain and make it do
what it doesn't want to do. The brain's an idiot.
--
Stony
"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
Rear drags are a little easier to adjust while playing a fish, but front
drags are far smoother and work better due to larger contact areas of the
actual drag contact surfaces.
--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)
www.secretweaponlures.com
--------------------------=x O')))

"Bucket Mouth" wrote in message
I was looking at Shimano Spirex and Solstace. Anybody use either of
these?

They both come in front drag or rear drag. Not to sound too ignorant,
but what is the difference between front and rear drag?

---

Old May 29th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Bob Rickard

The old & renouned Zebco/Abu Cardinal series spinning reels all had rear
drags, and theirs was as good as any I ever saw.
--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

Old May 29th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

I can't say for sure but I think Shimano does.
There are still a $hit load of them out there and still on the racks at
Wally world. I bought one when they hit the market over twenty some odd year
ago and that was the last one, I hated them then as now. I was into the
walleye tourneys and had too many break offs with it. Lost some good fish
with it! I think it was a rear drag bait runner I had? I had those beast
"slim line" Quick Finesse 330's then that had a fabulous front drag. Gave
that RD Shimano to the kid next door , he loved it more than life. That was
the only happy memory I have of the Rear dragg reel ;-)
--
Stony

Old May 29th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

Now that you mention those Bob, I think My dad has a couple of those
squirreled away somewhere, you just gave me something to do! Thanks!

Old May 29th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Bucket Mouth

Shimano does still make rear drag for some of thier spinning reels.