Smallmouth Fly Suggestions, & Some Quabbin Questions ?

Old March 6th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Robert11

Default Smallmouth Fly Suggestions, & Some Quabbin Questions ?

Hello:

Thinking of trying the Quabbin in a few weeks for
small mouths, which I've never done.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to flies to try ?
Streamers the best bet ? or, ... ?

BTW: Quabbin have largemouth also ?
If so, any different) fly suggestions for them ?

Anyone know the spawning periods at the Quabbin for both ?

Any different rules (Y pool access, etc.) for the Quabin this year ?

Rental boats still only Thursday thru Monday ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old March 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Tim J.

"Robert11" wrote...
Thinking of trying the Quabbin in a few weeks for
small mouths, which I've never done.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to flies to try ?
Streamers the best bet ? or, ... ?

BTW: Quabbin have largemouth also ?
If so, any different) fly suggestions for them ?

Anyone know the spawning periods at the Quabbin for both ?

Any different rules (Y pool access, etc.) for the Quabin this year ?

Rental boats still only Thursday thru Monday ?

Here's a link with answers to most of your questions:
http://tinyurl.com/yu7qz
As far as flies are concerned, consider taking some for bluegill as well - a lot
of fun on a fly.
--
TL,
Tim

Old March 6th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Stan Gula

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Thinking of trying the Quabbin in a few weeks for
small mouths, which I've never done.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to flies to try ?
Streamers the best bet ? or, ... ?

BTW: Quabbin have largemouth also ?
If so, any different) fly suggestions for them ?

Anyone know the spawning periods at the Quabbin for both ?

Any different rules (Y pool access, etc.) for the Quabin this year ?

Rental boats still only Thursday thru Monday ?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob. Opening day at Quabbin varies depending on ice out. Usually it
opens in early April. A bigger concern lately is funding. Operating
hours/days depend on how many shifts they can afford.

Your best bet is to check the Quabbin info page at:
http://www.state.ma.us/mdc/quabfish.htm

They haven't updated that yet for 2004.

The y-pool is still open year round. The parking area inside the
reservation is closed - you need to walk in from Route 9. I'm not sure if
the hours have changed, but the last time I checked, you had to be out by
dark.

As to fishing the Quabbin for various bass, well, I can't help much. I'm
still learning. I recommend big black wooly buggers and chartreuse crystal
buggers.

Old March 6th, 2004, 04:10 PM
George Adams

From: "Robert11"

BTW: Quabbin have largemouth also ?
If so, any different) fly suggestions for them ?

Pottapog Pond, which is accessed from gate 43, (other side of the horseshoe
dam), has lagemouth and pickerel. Can't help much on fly selection, but
standard LMB patterns should work well.

Any different rules (Y pool access, etc.) for the Quabin this year ?

As I've said before, don't expect easier access to the Y-Pool in our lifetime.
I doubt if any one will be allowed free access to the base of the dam. If
you're looking for an easy walk to the "Y", park east of the filtration plant
on Rte 9, not too close to the "no parking" signs, and walk up the access road.
It is dead level and much shorter than the road on the west side. IMO, it is
actually an easier, though a bit longer, walk than from the power station.

Rental boats still only Thursday thru Monday ?

As Stan said, this hasn't been finalized, and any changes would be due to
funding, rather than security. I expect the rules will be the same this year,
but you never know.

BTW, if you have a canoe or kayak, you can fish Pottapog Pond, but only at the
times rental boats are available.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old March 6th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Tim J.

"George Adams" wrote...
snip
BTW, if you have a canoe or kayak, you can fish Pottapog Pond, but only at the
times rental boats are available.

Hey, George. I just brought my new canoe home today. Does the above statement
mean you're up for the task this year? ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old March 7th, 2004, 12:31 AM
George Adams

From: "Tim J."

Hey, George. I just brought my new canoe home today. Does the above statement
mean you're up for the task this year? ;-)

Well, I'm not much of a stillwater fisherman, but we'll see what comes up. It
looks now like I'll have a busy summer, but things could change. I've only two
years to go till retirement so I need to make hay while I can.

who thinks my job may have to go on hold between June and Sept. this year.

I thought the same thing last year, but things have taken a definite change for
the better over the past six months, which tends to cut into my fishing time.

Old March 7th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Don Phillipson

"Robert11" wrote in message

Would appreciate any suggestions as to flies to try ?
Streamers the best bet ? or, ... ?

Smallmouths need only three types:
-- floater e.g. Brooks sputterbug
-- bright streamer e.g. Parmachene Belle
-- dark streamer: Cockatouche or Muddler.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

Old March 7th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Tim J.

"George Adams" wrote...
From: "Tim J."

Hey, George. I just brought my new canoe home today. Does the above statement
mean you're up for the task this year? ;-)

Well, I'm not much of a stillwater fisherman, but we'll see what comes up. It
looks now like I'll have a busy summer, but things could change. I've only two
years to go till retirement so I need to make hay while I can.

Ah, but the days will be getting long in a few months, just perfect for some
peaceful canoe rides on the local ponds. You can make your hay and eat it, too
(or something like that.)
--
TL,
Tim