Reel fishermen

Old April 17th, 2004, 12:48 AM
allen

Default Reel fishermen

Wow ............ lets see now, people that put line on using a pencil
are dummies but you don't have time to explain the proper way
.......okay, people who don't use a swivel in their line with a lure
are
just cheap ..........Hmmmmmm, and people who continue to use closed
face reel do so because they never could learn to use a spinning reel
......... and lord why doesn't he use a bait casting reel and be a
macho
non fearing bait caster. Well lets start with the last one . Ever
try
to trout fish with a bait casting reel? or fish for crappie, perch or
other pan fish. Not all reels work in all situations.

Jerry I'm glad you wrote back... You gave me faith that someone out
there would write in defense of the Closed face spinning reel... but
to reply on most everything I wrote about is unprecedented. Ok now
it's my turn... The proper way to fill a spin cast is to take the
"spool" out of the reel, Wind the new line on the same way you
took the old line off (how you ask) Use a carriage bolt with 2 nuts
and washers to sandwich the reel spool between them put the bolt in a
electric drill and set the direction of the drill to rotate in the
same direction as the line needs to go. Some reels wind the line back
going counter clock wise. Fill till about 1/4 to 1/8 inch from the
edge of the spool (this is better then winding till you can't get
anymore on or trying to look inside the end cap). Reinstall spool
in the reel and you are ready for fishing.

Then the swivel
in line for lures to stop line twist ...... bull**** unless you are
talking only about in line spinners. Most if not all other lures will
track straight. Then those who like spin cast reels. Might just be
the
simply like then over other types, or they work better for the type of
fishing they are doing, what do ya think. Now the pencil ....... if
filling a bait casting reel it is considered one of the proper ways.
Spin casting and spinning, lay the spool flat on the floor take
several
turns of the reel handle, stop and lower the rod. If the line twists,
turn spool over and then fill the reel to capacity. If the line
doesn't
twist then you are okay and still fill the reel to capacity. Now that
wasn't hard was it and there weren't any dummies in the crowd.

I fish for trout, and not for the trout that they dump into a stream
or lake by the bucket full... real trout, big trout ..trout over 7-8
lbs.I catch red fish over 30 lb, Tarpon over 120 lbs I use a abu 6500
c3 look it up. I have used smaller baitcasting reels and I have used
bigger such as a abu 7000. Penn 320's 330's .Squidders, 930's I have
fished all over Penna. including Stoney Creek, the Big Penns Creek
The Yellow Breaches, Walnut Creek, Lake Erie, Ocean City Md, Had a
fishing show in the 80's on Public TV I have trout mounts hanging in
sporting good stores in Pa. I now fish in Florida in the area of The
space center for spotted trout and weakfish.I have also worked as
fishing pro for a year and a half. I use fly rods and open face
spinning rods,.casting rods. I have about 37 different fishing combs
and no closed face spinning reels ! The two largest is a 2 handed
tarpon rod that is 14 ft. with 12 wt. line and a Shakespear Surf rod
that is 15 ft. using a Penn 706z reel, to a Mitchel 408 (made in
France) on a 5 ft Berkly Stinger rod
I never said the bait casting reel was only way only a
different way. and like I wrote before someone such as you that can't
fish with anything other than a childs toy would lash back. Did your
rod and reel come in a blister pack with a little tackle box with a
bobber that looks like a little duck ? Great starter kit for jr. but
not for a man/ladies everyday fishing outfit.

Then the swivel in line for lures to stop line twist ...... bull****
unless you are talking only about in line spinners. Most if not all
other lures will track straight.

I won't even reply You have said it all no more to say about using a
swivel.... You can go and get
a book on fishing, then read it, the write back about line twist
caused by the reel, tuning lures , the effects of current, line
rolling across the bottom when you use a barrel sinker, o yea you
know all about this...how about a Spinner Shark that will make your
line twist up into a knot. Ever catch a eel.?

There was one thing you didn't reply about... That was about
Those folks who , never could get the hang of using their left hand to
wind the line in on a spinning reel. They are the ones you see
holding the spinning rod in their left hand reel & rod upside down
(reel up above the rod) and winding backward with their right
hand.after casting with their right hand....and end up holding on the
very end of the rod with their left hand Did this ruffle your
feathers... you seem to fit the discripion of being one of those folks
fishing that way...till you got a closed face kiddie reel with the
rubber duck bobber.

Now I can have a nice day :-)

Allen
stop in at http://sea4two.net
go to one of the links listed and read about how to fish.

Line
twist has nothing to do with the drag being set heavy or light but as
you said someone reeling in while the fish is taking line. This is
usually the result of someone lacking in experience ot teaching but if
they are being called dummy all the time I can understand their not
learning. Another possible cause of line twist is fishing under a
bobber with minnows and I don't care if you do have a swivel tied on
you
are eventually going to get line twist. Now you have a nice day and
watch our for those non macho bait casters with their wimpy little
fearful spin caster reels.

Jerry

Old April 17th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Jerry

allen wrote:

Jerry I'm glad you wrote back... You gave me faith that someone out
there would write in defense of the Closed face spinning reel...

Never said I was defending the spin cast real, had you had the brain
cells to read the entire thread you would have see I very seldom use one
except in certain situations for crappie.
but
The proper way to fill a spin cast is to take the
"spool" out of the reel, Wind the new line on the same way you
took the old line off (how you ask) Use a carriage bolt with 2 nuts
and washers to sandwich the reel spool between them put the bolt in a
electric drill and set the direction of the drill to rotate in the
same direction as the line needs to go.

Oh bull ........ why take the spool out when you can do the same thing
with the spool in the reel.

[...]

Is there a point here some where? I guess I'm suppose to be impressed
here so I won't bother to tell you where, what, and how of my fishing or
how many rod and reels I own. After all why burst your bubble now. Oh,
spotted sea trout and weakfish are the same fish.

I never said the bait casting reel was only way only a
different way. and like I wrote before someone such as you that can't
fish with anything other than a childs toy would lash back. Did your
rod and reel come in a blister pack with a little tackle box with a
bobber that looks like a little duck ? Great starter kit for jr. but
not for a man/ladies everyday fishing outfit.

Well, there is the bottom line huh ........... you don't have a third of
the fishing rod and reels I have, your fishing adventures are nothing to
brag about but yet you feel compelled to insult those that use spin cast
reels. Here you start a whole new thread just for a ****ing match and
you manage to insult probable thousands of people that fish with spin
casts. Like I said I very seldom ever use one and I actually only have
a couple but they are great for a couple applications I use them for.

I won't even reply You have said it all no more to say about using a
swivel.... You can go and get
a book on fishing, then read it, the write back about line twist
caused by the reel, tuning lures , the effects of current, line
rolling across the bottom when you use a barrel sinker, o yea you
know all about this...how about a Spinner Shark that will make your
line twist up into a knot. Ever catch a eel.?

You have to be kidding ................ You are aware there is a
difference in fresh and salt water gear aren't you. Hell a channel cat
will do the same thing and that is why I use a swivel when fishing for
them but that is bait fishing, not LURE fishing. Get a clue fellow....

There was one thing you didn't reply about... That was about
Those folks who , never could get the hang of using their left hand to
wind the line in on a spinning reel. They are the ones you see
holding the spinning rod in their left hand reel & rod upside down
(reel up above the rod) and winding backward with their right
hand.after casting with their right hand....and end up holding on the
very end of the rod with their left hand

I guess reading comprehension is another one of your failures..... I did
address this as I implied you were a idiot for confusing someone with
lacking fishing experience with someone as you think they are.

Did this ruffle your
feathers... you seem to fit the discripion of being one of those folks
fishing that way...till you got a closed face kiddie reel with the
rubber duck bobber.

Ruffle my feathers ................ not in the least ........... just
pointing out what a complete asshole you are and after this post of
yours a it's obvious your a little low on the brain matter also.

Now I can have a nice day :-)

Somehow I suspect you have not had one for a very long time. Must be
hell living in your shriveled up little world. Now your not going to
start a completely new thread to answer this are you?

Jerry