Rod and Reel Advice

Old July 1st, 2004, 03:02 PM
Jay Biggs

Default Rod and Reel Advice

Greetings all!

I haven't been fishing since I was much younger (probably been 15 years or
more). I'd like to try and get back into it but have no idea what kind of
rod and reel to buy. I'm just looking for something good for a beginner to
use at ponds, lakes, etc. Any advice?

Thanks!

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:28 PM
Sarge

Jay wrote: "I haven't been fishing since I was much younger (probably been
15 years or more). I'd like to try and get back into it but have no idea
what kind of rod and reel to buy. I'm just looking for something good for a
beginner to use at ponds, lakes, etc. Any advice?"

Jay I would recommend a spinning reel for a beginner. Personal preference
is an open face.

Fishing reels come in four basic types. The simplest to use is the
closed-face spinning reel, which is operated by a push button and helps
protect against getting bird nests (tangles) in your line when you cast.
Sometimes an open-faced spinning reel lets you cast a little further, so
once you get used to the closed-faced reels, they are a good next step. How
big the reel is depends on how heavy a fishing line you are going to use and
how much of it you need. For small bream a moderately short length of light
line works so you don't need a big reel. Sal****er anglers going after
bigger, stronger fish need heavier line and more of it so the reel has to be
larger.

Another type of reel is called a bait-casting reel. The name is misleading,
since you can cast live or natural baits with either a spinning or
bait-casting reel, and you can also cast artificial lures with either type.
Bait-casting reels can be used to cast a little further and may let the
angler place the lure or bait a little more accurately, but you have to
thumb the spool to stop the line and that takes some practice.

Then there are fly-fishing reel. Unlike spinning and bait-casting reels, a
fly reel is not cast, and is mainly a place to store the line and keep it
free from tangles. Line is pulled from the reel, then the rod is waved
overhead to work the line out. The artificial fly is worked by retrieving
the fly line by hand. When fish are hooked they can then be retrieved by
turning the reel handle.

Since it has been a while since you fish, go to Wal-Mart and by a
combination spinning reel. If you plan on fishing ponds, you only need
something in 6' 6" length with light to medium action. You can find
something for around 30 dollars or less.

Sarge

Old July 1st, 2004, 11:17 PM
Ken

Hi,

Great advice Sarge!

Jay starting out with inexpensive spinning reel and rod is an excellent way
to go! One piece of advice, change the line on the reel and put on a good
quality line!

Once you experience and learn more about what you want to do, then you may
want to graduate to more expensive set ups.

Don't forget to talk to other fisherman about their rods and reels and their
experiences, good and bad. Lastly, consider the local bait and tackle store.
The can be a wealth of information, the good store! Sometimes they may want
to sell you the moon for a good price.

Good luck and tight lines.

Halon