Tr: New Place

Old July 1st, 2008, 09:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Tr: New Place

With so much going on family wise (good stuff), and some lighthouse
keeping, taking up too much of the Spring, Last week I finally got to
fish my new place in SE Washington. Camping with the Mrses and dog,
learning more about alfalfa, pumps, bales, reacquainting with the
smell of pigs, and observing the place made for a busy week. Happiness
in the Pa loose is $8 + a bushel soft wheat, wind turbines, and $200 a
ton first cut alfalfa (we called it luccerne in Utah).

I fished every day, finding the basic holes, riffles and runs for its
half mile, getting realistic about where more shade planting should
go, sampling the bugs, and just feeling the place, the people, the
stock and the area. Lots of wildlife; deer, turkey, quail, hawks,
heron, beaver, coyote, duck.

I closed out each day at the biggest hole where the river bangs into a
rock face sideways and on into a pool about the size of a small city
lot. My best fish was an 18 inch bright "Rainbow,'' caught on a Coal
Train, steelhead fly. Most others were smallish Cutthroat, caught thru
out the day, mostly from shaded side, pocket holes and grassy bank
runs. Half on nymphs. The wife caught our first trout on the place, a
12 inch "Rainbow." (I'm thinking that these fish have got to have some
steelie genetics in them because they fight and take like steelhead.)

Old July 1st, 2008, 01:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 01:19:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Dave

Sounds nice.

....and I'm glad you didn't have to mess with the Zohan...

TC,
PS - while the turbines are a good thing, the wheat and hay prices may
not be as great as one might think...
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Steve Cain

On Jul 1, 4:19 am, wrote:
[...]

Fishing on your own place - I'll bet that feels good.

Old July 1st, 2008, 05:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jul 1, 2:19 am, wrote:
Happiness
in the Pa loose is $8 + a bushel soft wheat, wind turbines, and $200 a
ton first cut alfalfa (we called it luccerne in Utah).

Depends on whether you're buying or selling...I'm on the buying side
and my hay budget is overspent :-(

Anyways, sounds like a nice place to enjoy.

I fished Elevenmile canyon in CO and a small stream in southern CO
last week: assorted rainbows and a couple of browns from Elevenmile,
up to 15", and a bunch of bows and browns up to 11" on the small
stream -- the small stream was a delight, wet wading and fishing a
hopper all the way up from a meadow into a box canyon to where I
couldn't go up anymore...

Jon.
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jul 1, 5:47*am, wrote:
[...]

not be as great as one might think...- Hide quoted text -

Why?
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jul 1, 9:26*am, wrote:
On Jul 1, 2:19 am, wrote:

Happiness
in the Pa loose is $8 + a bushel soft wheat, wind turbines, and $200 a
ton first cut alfalfa (we called it luccerne in Utah).

Depends on whether you're buying or selling...I'm on the buying side
and my hay budget is overspent :-(

Anyways, sounds like a nice place to enjoy.

I fished Elevenmile canyon in CO and a small stream in southern CO
last week: assorted rainbows and a couple of browns from Elevenmile,
up to 15", and a bunch of bows and browns up to 11" on *the small
stream -- the small stream was a delight, wet wading and fishing a
hopper all the way up from a meadow into a box canyon to where I
couldn't go up anymore...

Jon.

That sounds like Fish Creek and other places in S Central Utah I
fished as a student at BYU with my trusty Wonderod. That feeling,
moving light, wet, back into the country, can really touch ones inner
hunter/gatherer :-) rarer at my age but still possible. A week to
recover but still worth it.

Old July 1st, 2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jul 1, 6:21*am, Steve Cain wrote:
On Jul 1, 4:19 am, wrote:

[...]

Fishing on your own place - I'll bet that feels good.- Hide quoted text -

It feels real good. Also now have a better handle on where to plant
some trees to further cool the river. Over time I would also like to
reduce our take from the river via better irrigation tech, or perhaps
a crop change. Bottom line is it has to work for the farmer i and some
other nearby small holders lease to, so the land can stay in Ag tax
status w 40% in conservation uses.

Old July 1st, 2008, 09:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jul 1, 4:19 am, wrote:

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

Here is another peice of fishing rich land for sale that some ROFFIAN
might be interested in. Its in Western Wa., 52 acres, split by the
best Steelhead river in Washington, its floatable, has timber, pasture
that could grow corn w/out irrigation I think, and a building site
above the flood plain. Its near the Coast, on a good road, and about
50 miles off I-5. If I had the money I'd have bought it too.

http://www.harborrealtyinc.com/index...il&startrow=25