Durdle Door, Dorset

Old January 11th, 2007, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Alec Powell

Default Durdle Door, Dorset

Planning our hols for the summer, (early July).
Mean to stay at Durdle Door which we know fairly well.
Any tips for the beach fishing? Also bait suppliers.
Any help appreciated.
(Derek - you might have some useful info)
Cheers,
Alec
--
Alec Powell

(Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards)

Watlington
Oxfordshire
UK

Old January 12th, 2007, 01:48 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Matt

In message , Alec Powell
writes
Planning our hols for the summer, (early July).
Mean to stay at Durdle Door which we know fairly well.

I live up on the cliff, I'll keep watch ;-)

Any tips for the beach fishing? Also bait suppliers.

We usually find the bait on the beach but the little sports shop in
Wareham is there just for opportunities like this one...

Bugger me grockles in January! (OK July but it was worth a cast)

--
Matt - Dorset.
It only takes two-strokes to excite me (or a threesome :-))
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:52 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , Alec Powell
wrote:
Planning our hols for the summer, (early July).
Mean to stay at Durdle Door which we know fairly well.

It's a trifle early in the season but contact me closer to the time and I
might be able to find you some decent swoffing near by.

Any tips for the beach fishing? Also bait suppliers.

You'll only be able to fish the door when the holidaymakers are off the
beach :-(

First light, -really- first light will be well worth a try with spinners
along the beach or peeler at the far end by Bat's Head. As the light rises
spend a half hour with a whole mackerel bait in the gutter (about 10 yds
out.) You should be finished and (if you're staying in the c'van site) back
in bed by 5am. Last light would be good too but probably too busy. You
might get in at the far end if the weather is too cloudy for the nudists.

St Oswald's is sometimes worth a spin - or work your way onto s-facing
rocks and floatfish/deep_lure fish along the outer face, which is nearly
vertical.

At least once during the month someone will get a conger or two ledgering
overnight by the door. You will probably be too late for the tope that run
close in during the breeding season, otherwise long casting will get you
doggies.

There are supposed to be black bream within reach; I've never found them.

-IF- you get a nice overcast day with a rising tide then steady
groundbaiting will bring in a mixture of fish - gar, mackerel, mullet,
smelt, possible pollock, scad and bass. It works better on a clear day but
you'll not be able to fish then.

Bait: If you'll have a freezer take box of calamari as fallback. A dozen
or so loaves to bulk out groundbait but otherwise just use artificials and
what you can collect/catch.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old January 13th, 2007, 06:19 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Matt

In message , Derek Moody
writes

You'll only be able to fish the door when the holidaymakers are off the
beach :-(

Bit of a bugger that but if you sling the barmaid[1] in the caravan site
a tenner she might keep a few of them up there.

[1] My ex-thingy but she is quite capable of keeping the grocks off the
beach - she'd only need to look at them...

Old January 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Alec Powell

Thanks Matt and Derek,
all sounds great to me.
Looking forward to it already!