Beach Fishing off Deven / Dorset

Old May 19th, 2007, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
[email protected]

Default Beach Fishing off Deven / Dorset

Hi,

I'd appreciate it if someone can please give me some advice with
regards to sea fishing in the Dorset / Devon Area.

First of all, I've never been sea fishing in the UK, but am a regular
trout fly angler. Are there any rules and regulations I need to
observe in relation to sea fishing? Do I need permits etc?

I was looking into being in the Poole area over bank holiday weekend.
Also, can you please tell me where I can go fishing off a beach not
too far from Poole for a few hours? I would prefer a quiet/isolated
beach or something as opposed to Poole Quay.

Am I allowed to fish off the beach by Durdle Door?

I was also try a spot of fishing around Abbottsbury and Chesil beach.
Is there anything I need to know about fishing there?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

fftdbz

Old May 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Martyn

Have a look at http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/ in the area relating
to where you're at - you'll find loads of info there.

You don't need a permit to sea fish - at the moment...

--

Martyn
ups.com...

Old May 20th, 2007, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , Martyn
URL:mailto:[email protected]. wrote:
Have a look at http://www.################### in the area relating
to where you're at - you'll find loads of info there.

I notice that your only response to any and every enquiry here is to spam
your shopping website - Try at least to be help posters before you raid
their wallets.

You don't need a permit to sea fish - at the moment...

Not quite true. On the open coast in the area you stated you need no permit
to fish. There are several areas closed to public access (MOD ranges) and
some where restrictions apply (Pool hbr, the Fleet, Most of the Devon
estauries) - in these places Bass fishing is resticted to shore fising only
and in several places access to harbour/pier structures is regulated and
charged for. Should you go to Scotland you will find estates who control
their coastline.

To take seatrout and salmon from the shore you require a migratory fish
licence as inland.

I'd appreciate it if someone can please give me some advice with
regards to sea fishing in the Dorset / Devon Area.

First of all, I've never been sea fishing in the UK, but am a regular
trout fly angler. Are there any rules and regulations I need to

It's only about a month from now that the main sal****er fly fishing season
starts on the channel coast - there are already a few fish inshore that
will take a ff'd lure but atm you'll need -big- lures, at least 5" long on
tandem #2/0 for eg, but at the end of June size #8 - 4 is about right.

observe in relation to sea fishing? Do I need permits etc?

I was looking into being in the Poole area over bank holiday weekend.
Also, can you please tell me where I can go fishing off a beach not
too far from Poole for a few hours? I would prefer a quiet/isolated
beach or something as opposed to Poole Quay.

'Quiet' and 'not too far from Poole' on a bank holiday are mutually
exclusive. -First- light at Kimmeridge would be a good plan for a
spinning/plugging session. To get there for first light you'll need to
leave Poole by 3.00am Expect to finish fishing before 7.00am. You could
try Dancing Ledge and Durlston on the same basis but *only* if you have
someone else along for mutual safety.

Am I allowed to fish off the beach by Durdle Door?

Yes, but don't bother. It'll be too busy.

I was also try a spot of fishing around Abbottsbury and Chesil beach.
Is there anything I need to know about fishing there?

Again, don't bother. A beginner will catch little there that's worthwhile.
If youre going that way run a little farther down the coast and spin/plug
the area around Golden Cap. The water will warm below the cliffs a little
faster and bass should be feeding - if you can get to them without scaring
them. Try the Ringstead area for a couple of hours dusk into dark with the
spinners too.

If you fancy floatfishing in daylight most of the deepwater marks will have
garfish and perhaps occasional mackerel - fish only a metre or two down over
deep water with as light a float as you can manage.

If you'd like to try mullet fishing they're in - and they should start
feeding reliably any day now. The odd fish have been taken since the warm
weather at the start of April but about now they'll settle into the summer
pattern.

You asked about Devon - if you're going that far about now is the time the
huge mackerel run off the quarry at Berry Head...

Hth, Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old May 20th, 2007, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Martyn

I think you'll find it's not my site but is one of the most useful places
for info re sea fishing. I'm certainly not raiding peoples wallets and you
could do well to have a look at the site yourself before flaming other
people, you might learn something but some how I doubt it - but then again
they do say opinions are like areseholes, everyone's got one

--

Martyn

Old May 20th, 2007, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Martyn Rowland

Derek,

If your website carried anything like the amount information
available I site I advised the original author to visit - you'd have a
good site.

Info from the local area from people who fish the area is far better than
no info at all.

There are plenty of other sea fishing forums available on the web - I'm a
member of few, but the WSF has an encyclopedic amount of info on there,
which is readily available, free of charge, without having to register.

Have a look at it yourself as I'm sure the info you have re all the
answers you supply on this newsgroup would leave the 13,569 members aghast
at their lack of knowledge.

Martyn

Old May 21st, 2007, 05:27 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , Martyn
URL:mailto:[email protected]. wrote:

I think you'll find it's not my site but is one of the most useful places
for info re sea fishing. I'm certainly not raiding peoples wallets and you

Your only reply here to at least the last half dozen queries has been an
identical, top posted, spam. I reserve the right to draw my own
conclusions.

could do well to have a look at the site yourself before flaming other
people, you might learn something but some how I doubt it - but then again
they do say opinions are like areseholes, everyone's got one

Touched a raw nerve did I?

Cheerio,