Stolen Laptop

Old September 6th, 2010, 03:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
--riverman

Default Stolen Laptop

OK, not fishing for any sympathy, but some strategies.

Some f**ker let themselves into my house Friday night and made off
with my laptop, SWMBOs jewelry, some cash I had stashed (apparently
not so well) and a few odds and ends. I'm not too worried about most
of the stuff, except SWMBOs jewelry has a lot of sentimental value.

But my laptop worries me. The desktop is unlocked, so they have access
to all my content.

I don't have any passwords written in black and white anywhere, but
there are hints hidden in findable places. Also, my tax info is in
there (in a desktop folder called 'taxes') with a ton of my personal
info. Also, who knows what someone with the wherewithal to snoop in a
folder called 'financial' might decide to try to figure out.

So I'm suddenly a bit worried about identity theft, as well as (to a
much lesser degree) someone getting access to my accounts. I have
already changed all my passwords, but I still worry about what else
might be in there.

Anyone got any good ideas of how to trace a missing computer? Or who
to notify to prevent identity theft before it happens? This is a first
for me, so I'm looking for valuable insights....

Old September 6th, 2010, 04:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-09-06 10:39:07 -0400, --riverman said:

[...]

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Some good info here, Myron:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4586129_trac...p-address.html

Old September 6th, 2010, 04:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
--riverman

On 2010-09-06 10:39:07 -0400, --riverman said:

[...]

Dave

Thanks Dave, Unfortunately, there's almost no chance that they will
use it within my network, as it was stolen from my home and not near
my school. If it comes online in the school, we can trace it, but I
didn't have any anti-theft programs (like adeona) installed so I don't
think I can trace it via the web. I might get lucky and see them use
the installed password to log into my home network, if it's someone in
the neighborhood, but if its been taken downtown, then all I can do is
hope they wipe the HD and install a new operating system.

My current fear is that some street hawker resells it with the files
intact, and some scumbag decides to start sleuthing. Wish there was a
way I could freeze the drive remotely.

--riverman
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On Sep 6, 10:39*am, --riverman wrote:
[...]

Based on my daughter's experience when her laptop was stolen, I'd say
your chances of recovering it are somewhere around zero, and even if
you do, someone has already had access to your info. You need to put
out a fraud alert on all your credit card and bank accounts. You said
you changed all your passwords, and that is a good start. You might
actually stand a better chance of locating your property by going
after the jewelry. Give the police a complete and accurate
description, with pictures, if possible. Don't know how effective the
cops are in your area, but I assume they would check all the pawn
shops and known "fences" in the area. If they find the seller of the
jewelry, it should lead to the computer. Good luck!
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Sep 6, 7:39*am, --riverman wrote:
[...]

Could you send your computer a nasty worm? or something of that
nature.

Old September 7th, 2010, 12:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

SOP for most crooks is to replace the hard drive if they can't get
into it (that's why I keep mine encrypted). Without something like
full disc encryption, I would be seriously looking at fraud alerts and
changing ALL of your passwords, and then changing them again. Be
alert for "password change alerts" from your ISP/email provider.
Frank Reid

Old September 7th, 2010, 04:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJConner

Ho do we know that it's Riverman posting and not some punk that stole
his laptop??

Can offer anything now but have some semi relate experience.
I buy a new laptop every couple of years. Three computers back I had
bought the $185 warentee plan and about 15 months later the thing went
belly up. I took it in and Office Depots plan would fix it in three
weeks! I needed one tomorrow. I bought an new Gateway and a
Portable harddrive. No more warentees -they aint really worth a ****.
The portable hard drive mirrows the hard drive. I have it connected
daily and it "ghosts" my hard drive. I keep it secure and away from
my laptop.
I have broke one laptop but have never had one stolen.
My advise forget warentees,buy the portable hard drive - they bigger
and cheaper all the time.
I called Gateway on my broken copmputer, the fixed it three days for
$0. I had a new one by then so I gave it to my daughter. The big
expense was $10 for a FedEx laptop box.

Old September 7th, 2010, 11:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 07:39:07 -0700 (PDT), --riverman
wrote:

[...]

I am sorry for your theft
Its a terrible personal invasion
I cannot help w your question but I do send my sympath6y
It has happened to me

Fred
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
ConwayRadis

--riverman wrote in news:c46f0a2a-0958-4ba2-a8d2-
:

[...]

-riverman,

I they have access to your tax info., they have access to your SSN. I
would highly recomend you go to the three major (only) credit reporting
agencies, and put a security freeze on your credit reports. This will
"lock down" your credit records, and inform and potential credit lender
that their is a potential security/theft issue. Here are the links to
the three credit reporting agencies security freeze sections.

http://www.equifax.com/cs7/Satellite...dpagename=EFX%
2FEFX_Page_C%2FGetcreditCP&cid=1182374732430&p=118 2374732489
&packedargs=locale%3Den_cp&pagename=EFX%2FWrapper# NextSteps

https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

http://www.transunion.com/corporate/...heft/fraudPrev
ention/securityFreeze.page

ConRad

Old September 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Osmo Jauhiainen[_4_]

I really am very sorry for your loss, Myron!

No advice from me!

Osmo