DJIA up sharply, anticipating Obama victory

Old November 5th, 2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default OT: Political "DJIA up sharply, anticipating Obama victory"

On Nov 4, 2:21*pm, wrote:
On Nov 4, 2:53 pm, DaveS wrote:

prosperity is just around the corner.

If that's so, then IMO it's a looooong corner...

I don't envy the people who win their elections. They will face
monumental challenges. From the prez right down to the new school
board member who is finding out the district is heavily invested in
CDOs. I think we are living right now in "history" unlike any since
WWII. We should all pray that those elected will be up to the task and
will honorably attack the great challenges ahead. If they don't, if it
ends up as petty politics as usual, or worse, then God help us all...

Jon.

Jon
My post was tongue-in-cheek, harassing the pirate, et al.
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default DJIA up sharply, anticipating Obama victory

On Nov 4, 2:37*pm, Dave LaCourse wrote:

Dave
Seems you got my joke. :-))
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default OT: DJIA up sharply, anticipating Obama victory

On Nov 5, 11:26*am, rw wrote:

I think the market is down because the market has everything to do
with sitting on one's ass, and little to do with the real economy
where people work, eat, sleep, buy, sell, cook, ****, create, drive,
worry, **** and hope for a cold beer on Fridays.

Old November 5th, 2008, 08:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Nov 4, 6:57*pm, jeff miller wrote:
strident disagreement and principled argument does not equal hate dave...

unfortunately, our culture has become one mired in blame and namecalling
- especially our political culture. *nc's own jesse helms and his
brigade of ****stirrers are largely to blame, but so are each of us who
has allowed our human weakness, shallowness, and selfishness to win out
over our ability to think and care about our fellow citizens.

this is a monumentally historic moment and election...i'm not sure many
have really appreciated the uniqueness of this election, despite the
record turnout.

There's a lot of blame to go around; but I'd lay a lot of it on the
traditional media in general and the right wing talk show hosts in
particular. I've even seen it spill into at least one political
blog. It is unfortunate that controversy sells advertising. Whether
it's circulation, Neilson ratings, or site hits, hate sells. There's
no profit in being calm, reasonable, and intelligent.

To be sure, many of these attitudes were pre-existing conditions; but
it is imho a disturbingly dark spot on the media and those who profit
from it that so much effort was spent in tearing down candidates and
their supporters and so little on an unbiased examination of the
issues.

While I understand that my personal bias makes me see the Obama
victory from a particular pov, I nonetheless agree that it is a
monumentally different election both for it's cultural aspect as well
as its rejection of the negative politics of Lee A****er and Karl
Rove. Despite despicably vile accusations of being unpatriotic, anti-
American, terrorist sympathizer, Muslim extremist, and a dozen other
smears, Sen. Obama held firm to a message of hope and progress and
encouraging all Americans to see the best in each other, not the
worst. That such a message could succeed when delivered by a black
man in America transcends the mere fact that he is the first African-
American POTUS candidate.

I surely know that many here and in real life disagree with me; but
last night was a great moment for this country. It could, if the
lessons are learned, show us a new way forward in the way we interact
with each other politically, socially, and personally. I'm damned
proud of my country this morning.
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:45:45 -0800, rw
wrote:

The free market has spoken. :-) If McCain wins watch it drop.

LOL. Hey, Girlyman. The dow is down aound 500 tday. So much for
your theories. Too funny.

And, ya can't marry your boyfriend anymore in California. What a
bummer.

Move to Mass. We're still liberal.

d;o)

Old November 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 08:57:15 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 4, 11:45*am, rw wrote:
The free market has spoken. :-) If McCain wins watch it drop.

Ummm, don't look now but the DJIA is down today.

I know it's not correlated, but if McCain had somehow won you'd
be pointing at the DJIA today screaming the sky was falling.
- Ken

"Buy on the rumor, sell on the news" might explain what we've seen in the last
two trading sessions...Or not...These days, who the heck knows?

/daytripper
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

wrote:

The free market has spoken. :-) If McCain wins watch it drop.

LOL. Hey, Girlyman. The dow is down aound 500 tday. So much for
your theories. Too funny.

And, ya can't marry your boyfriend anymore in California. What a
bummer.

Move to Mass. We're still liberal.

d;o)

ahahahahaha! What do you mean, "we"?

/daytripper (or - did you "turn" last night? ;-)
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 12:03:57 -0800 (PST), rb608
wrote:

[...]

Man, the echoes in here are startling!

/daytripper (or maybe they're just in my head ;-)