Telescope rod

Old April 4th, 2009, 01:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
mike

Default Telescope rod

I am in the need for a new rod and reel and was considering going with
a telescope rod. I am only considering the telescope rod because I
can back it in my pack when I go mountain biking, kayaking, hiking,
etc with out having to worry about space.

I am specifically considering this type of rod because of the remote,
untouched lakes I will be in and around this summer. How well do these
rods compare to a normal 6' two piece rod?
Will I be disapointed trying to case from shore with one of these
rods?

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmal.com
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
tak[_2_]

"mike" wrote in message
I am in the need for a new rod and reel and was considering going with
a telescope rod. I am only considering the telescope rod because I
can back it in my pack when I go mountain biking, kayaking, hiking,
etc with out having to worry about space.

I am specifically considering this type of rod because of the remote,
untouched lakes I will be in and around this summer. How well do these
rods compare to a normal 6' two piece rod?
Will I be disapointed trying to case from shore with one of these
rods?

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmal.com

Look at some 4 piece pack rods before you spend $ on a telescopic rod.

Old April 4th, 2009, 02:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"mike" wrote in message
I am in the need for a new rod and reel and was considering going with
a telescope rod. I am only considering the telescope rod because I
can back it in my pack when I go mountain biking, kayaking, hiking,
etc with out having to worry about space.

I am specifically considering this type of rod because of the remote,
untouched lakes I will be in and around this summer. How well do these
rods compare to a normal 6' two piece rod?
Will I be disapointed trying to case from shore with one of these
rods?

You probably will be disappointed in a telescopic rod. I've yet to see one
that was decent. You'd be best served with a good pack rod. American
Rodsmiths makes two very nice ones.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"mike" wrote in message
I am in the need for a new rod and reel and was considering going with
a telescope rod. I am only considering the telescope rod because I
can back it in my pack when I go mountain biking, kayaking, hiking,
etc with out having to worry about space.

I am specifically considering this type of rod because of the remote,
untouched lakes I will be in and around this summer. How well do these
rods compare to a normal 6' two piece rod?
Will I be disapointed trying to case from shore with one of these
rods?

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmal.com

I have had a few telescoping rods and I have to say in the long run they
have all sucked. Most of them even in the short run. For packing I would
go with a multi piece pack rod instead. The only telescoping rod I had that
didn't break under use was one of those cheap South Bend ones. instead they
get stuck and won't retract, and the eyes slip off the sections.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old April 9th, 2009, 11:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
tntitans21399

I bought a telespocing rod and reel a couple of years ago, and the
reel ended up being cheap but the I love the rod. It is my favorite
rod to use. It is real handy when I'm in the kayak because you can
pull it in and brin gthe fish in closer instead of trying to deal with
a long 6 ft pole. I would imagine the telescoping rods are as
different as normal rods are, and I wish I could tell the type I
have. But when it is pulled out and fishing with it, it isn't that
much different compared to other rods that are similar in size and
type.

You can look around but I think you will really like it when you are
in the kayak.
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Craig M

I used to have a ultra-light telescoping spinning rod/reel combo, it was
great for small fish, perch, bream, ect, it would extend to maybe 4'6 or so,
4 pound test, max on the reel was 8 I belive, but could make for a fun
fishing time, even caught some small largemouths with -it, due to the size
and test of the line, once hooked up, you had to finess them back to you,
but it was a great little rod, came from Wal-Mart

Old April 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

A few years ago before going on an Alaska cruise I went to the local
tackle store looking for some kind of telescoping rod to carry. He
had a Spiderman rod and reel set - gave me the rod to try. I think the
outfit was in the $20 range. I put a Shimano spinning reel on it and
loaded it with 8 pound line. On that cruise I caught about 10 salmon
on the rod, got pictures of it bent almost double. It held up
surprisingly well. Biggest salmon was about 12 pounds and all were
caught in streams.\

http://fishing.about.com/od/troutand...hum_salmon.htm

I also too that rod to Mexico and caught some small sal****er fish in
the Sea of Cortez on it.

It is not a quality rod but for back packing or on trips like I have
been on it worked great! And the price was right.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old May 10th, 2009, 08:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Cheeky Bastard

Ronnie wrote:
A few years ago before going on an Alaska cruise I went to the local
tackle store looking for some kind of telescoping rod to carry. He
had a Spiderman rod and reel set - gave me the rod to try. I think the
outfit was in the $20 range. I put a Shimano spinning reel on it and
loaded it with 8 pound line. On that cruise I caught about 10 salmon
on the rod, got pictures of it bent almost double. It held up
surprisingly well. Biggest salmon was about 12 pounds and all were
caught in streams.\

http://fishing.about.com/od/troutand...hum_salmon.htm

I also too that rod to Mexico and caught some small sal****er fish in
the Sea of Cortez on it.

It is not a quality rod but for back packing or on trips like I have
been on it worked great! And the price was right.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

GOOD LORD I'M GLAD I WASN'T THE FIRST TO ADMIT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, I'll be the second. I have a Spiderman and Barbie rod I keep as a joke
and for guest.
The joke is if they cry I have a better rod and that's why I'm catching
fish I switch with them and still catch fish just to make it sting more when
I bust chops.

CB

Old May 10th, 2009, 04:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SteveB

"Cheeky *******" wrote in message
Ronnie wrote:
[...]

My friend took a Pocket Fisherman with us last week. He did have a
graphite/Garcia combo, too. But for trying for bream in shallow water, he
wanted to try his old PF.

Steve