OT Humor for librarians

Old August 17th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Default OT Humor for librarians

The Tribune has started running a Garrison Keillor
piece once a week. This one's pretty funny.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,6563719.story

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Conan The Librarian

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

The Tribune has started running a Garrison Keillor
piece once a week. This one's pretty funny.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,6563719.story

Thanks for the link. Pretty good stuff, except for the
stereotypical picture of the librarian with a bun, sensible shoes, etc.
That's sooo outdated. :-)

From the article:

If we English majors would make our voices heard and flood Congress
with angry sonnets

Claspy, get on it right away.

Chuck Vance
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Wolfgang

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,6563719.story

"...the reference librarian with the bun, the faint moustache on the upper
lip, the navy-blue knit dress, the sensible shoes, and the glasses on a
chain ..."

Uh oh. Um......Bill?.....you ARE bringing your own tent......right?

Wolfgang

Old August 17th, 2005, 08:36 PM
JR

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

The Tribune has started running a Garrison Keillor
piece once a week. This one's pretty funny.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,6563719.story

A more wickedly funny article, not by but about Keillor:

http://www.poems.com/keilaugu.htm

JR
(who does believe that every public building, not just libraries, should
have a Nap Room)
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Ken Fortenberry

JR wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
The Tribune has started running a Garrison Keillor
piece once a week. This one's pretty funny.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,6563719.story

A more wickedly funny article, not by but about Keillor:

http://www.poems.com/keilaugu.htm

Keillor may be "feeding us ****" as the article so eloquently
states it, but in Kentucky it's considered downright risque.

From the Times http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/15/arts/15arts.html

Keillor Uncensored

Two weeks after a Lexington, Ky., public radio station dropped it over
concerns that its content could incur indecency fines, "The Writer's
Almanac" returns today to the station's broadcast lineup, The Lexington
Herald-Leader reported on Saturday. The five-minute program, in which
the writer and radio host Garrison Keillor presents a roundup on
this-day-in-literary-history, was removed from WUKY's morning schedule
on Aug. 1 because of concerns that the word "breast" and the phrase "get
high" in the program's poetic recitations might be considered indecent.
In a Herald-Leader article published on Friday, the general manager of
the University of Kentucky station, Tom Godell, said of Mr. Keillor,
"It's not that he's behaving like Howard Stern, but the F.C.C. has been
so inconsistent, we don't know where we stand." The cancellation
initially prompted few complaints, but a deluge from listeners on Friday
apparently persuaded the station to reverse its decision that afternoon.

You just cannot make this **** up. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Wolfgang

"JR" wrote in message ...
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

The Tribune has started running a Garrison Keillor
piece once a week. This one's pretty funny.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,6563719.story

A more wickedly funny article, not by but about Keillor:

http://www.poems.com/keilaugu.htm

Humor is where you find it, I guess. One can hardly blame Mr. Kleinzahler
for engaging in a self-absorbed snit over the world's lamentable and
stubborn refusal to conform to his ideals (and, not so incidentally, pretty
much ingore him in the process) but stealing a page from B.R. Myers in the
process.......tsk, tsk.*

JR
(who does believe that every public building, not just libraries, should
have a Nap Room)

Amen.

Wolfgang
*and no, he can't be kennie!

Old August 17th, 2005, 09:15 PM

That Goddammed mother-****er Keillor. Where the hell does he get off
using profanity like that . . .

Memphis Jim

(Ten months until I officially become MACHIAS Jim)

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

From the Times http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/15/arts/15arts.html

Old August 17th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Memphis Jim

Ignore that email address in the header. It's Memphis Jim Memhis Jm
Memphos JIom ARG!

Old August 17th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Mark W. Oots

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
The Tribune has started running a Garrison Keillor
piece once a week. This one's pretty funny.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,6563719.story

--
Ken Fortenberry

I'm with him on the 10000 ft runway at Waseca. I flew in and out of there
often when I worked for Airfone in the early days. It would probably see a
lot of traffic, considering the huge outlet mall just down the road in
Owatonna. (Could relieve the congestion at Owatonna Municipal)

I also like the logic pertaining to libraries and terrorism. It's at least
as valid as any argument the government ever made.

Mark

Old August 17th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Wolfgang

"Mark W. Oots" mark_ctc@(no spam)ameritech.net wrote in message
t...

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
The Tribune has started running a Garrison Keillor
piece once a week. This one's pretty funny.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,6563719.story

--
Ken Fortenberry

I'm with him on the 10000 ft runway at Waseca. I flew in and out of there
often when I worked for Airfone in the early days. It would probably see a
lot of traffic, considering the huge outlet mall just down the road in
Owatonna. (Could relieve the congestion at Owatonna Municipal)

I also like the logic pertaining to libraries and terrorism. It's at least
as valid as any argument the government ever made.

Au contraire, libraries are veritable hotbeds of sedition. Far from being
weapons in the fight against terrorism, they own the BOOK on it! That's
right boys and girls, every perversion, every heresy, every schism, every
treason, every apostasy, every abomination in the eyes of the Lord, every
act of terror, every subjugation, every tyranny, every murder, every foul
deed done in the dark of night, every infidelity, every betrayal of the
public trust, every felony, every perjury, every assault, every misdemeanor,
every crime against humanity, every little white lie, every malfeasance,
every cardinal sin, every genocide, every parricide, every matricide, every
regicide, every infanticide, every incest and self-pollution........you'll
find 'em right there at YOUR (tax supported!!) public library!

Wolfgang
who, having never gone near the place, confesses he has all this by
hearsay......but takes it pretty darn seriously nevertheless.