Books

Old January 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joe McIntosh

Default Books

Old January 25th, 2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Joe McIntosh" wrote

Please include me on correspondence about Middleton,

Bernard Middleton?

Dan

Old January 25th, 2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

"Daniel-San" wrote in message news:1Qauh.56001
Bernard Middleton?

I'm fairly confident Joe is referring to Harry Middleton. His "On the Spine
of Time" is a great read, mostly about fishing in the Smokies. I highly
recommend it.

Joe F.

Old January 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"rb608" wrote ...
"Daniel-San" wrote
Bernard Middleton?

I'm fairly confident Joe is referring to Harry Middleton.

Yeah, somehow I doubted there were two people on the planet reading about
bookbinding.

His "On the Spine of Time" is a great read, mostly about fishing in the
Smokies. I highly recommend it.

I have a list of novels and other good non-fiction that I need to read.
Unfortunately, it will most likely remain a list of "to read" rather than
one of "read" -- at least for the next few years.

Dan
....my swap flies should go out Monday...

Old January 26th, 2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

On Jan 25, 5:37 pm, "Daniel-San" wrote:

...somehow I doubted there were two people on the planet reading about
bookbinding.

Weeeelllllllll....

Not just at the moment, but I read Annie Tremmel Wilcox's "A Degree of
Mastery: A Journey Through Book Arts Apprenticeship" a few months ago.
Made me want to go out and get some tools (yeah, like I NEED another
****in' project!) and stitch something together. Actually, I've got a
good start on it now, as I've recently DISassembled a book in order to
make it easier to scan and digitize.

His "On the Spine of Time" is a great read, mostly about fishing in the
Smokies. I highly recommend it.I have a list of novels and other good non-fiction that I need to read.

Unfortunately, it will most likely remain a list of "to read" rather than
one of "read" -- at least for the next few years.

Bad plan. You are NEVER gonna catch up. Trust me......I've been
trying for years!

Dan
...my swap flies should go out Monday...

Swap flies.....uh oh. Gotta run.

Wolfgang

Old January 26th, 2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Wolfgang" wrote...

"Daniel-San" wrote:

...somehow I doubted there were two people on the planet reading about
bookbinding.

Weeeelllllllll....

Not just at the moment, but I read Annie Tremmel Wilcox's "A Degree of
Mastery: A Journey Through Book Arts Apprenticeship" a few months ago.

Good book. I enjoyed it as well, but perhaps for different reasons. The
insight into modern craft binding apprenticeships is what interested me. The
mentoring part...well...

Made me want to go out and get some tools (yeah, like I NEED another
****in' project!)

Amen to that.

and stitch something together. Actually, I've got a
good start on it now, as I've recently DISassembled a book in order to
make it easier to scan and digitize.

Oooohhhh! Was it stitched or glued? If stitched (unlikely if a recent book)
was it with thread or wire? This of course was one of the "high art"
discussions that the bookbinders engaged in back about 75-80 years ago.
Still something of a controversy...well...as much of a controverys as is
possible in the book arts. I don't recommend beginning the process of buying
tools. From my limited look at that aspect of the whole thing, those tools
don't come cheap.

His "On the Spine of Time" is a great read, mostly about fishing in the
Smokies. I highly recommend it.I have a list of novels and other good
non-fiction that I need to read.

Unfortunately, it will most likely remain a list of "to read" rather than
one of "read" -- at least for the next few years.

Bad plan. You are NEVER gonna catch up. Trust me......I've been
trying for years!

But it's good to dream. Besides, uncompleted lists keep ya going, no?

Dan

Old January 26th, 2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

"Daniel-San" wrote in message
. net...

I have a list of novels and other good non-fiction that I need to read.
Unfortunately, it will most likely remain a list of "to read" rather than
one of "read" -- at least for the next few years.

You should really move it up your list, you won't be disappointed.

Old January 26th, 2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Wayne Knight wrote:

[_On the Spine of Time_]

You should really move it up your list, you won't be disappointed.

Not to be a stick-in-the-mud, but IMHO, _OtSoT_ was enjoyable mostly
because of his descriptions of some places that I had the pleasure of
visiting in western N.C. His writing style is (for me, anyway)
overbearing; he's never met a cliche he didn't like, and he seems bent
on packing as many metaphors-per-square-inch as possible into his writing.

It's not that I mind a good metaphor, but his over-reliance on them
tends to actually interfere with what he's attempting to describe.

Don't get me wrong, I've read the book several times and will
probably pack it along with me on my next trip to the Smokies, but for
someone who has never experienced the streams of the area, I can see how
the book could be less than fulfilling.

Chuck Vance (and no, I don't think I could do better than
Middleton, but that's why I'm writing on ROFF :-)
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Jan 26, 10:28 am, Conan The Librarian wrote:
Not to be a stick-in-the-mud, but IMHO, _OtSoT_ was enjoyable mostly
because of his descriptions of some places that I had the pleasure of
visiting in western N.C.

While I enjoyed the book immensely, I'll admit to having read it
shortly following, and likely as a result of my first trout fishing
foray into the Smokies at a ROFF clave. Even without that direct
experience, however, I am closely familiar with the similar geography
of the Blue Ridge Mtns. to the north, and found it easy to identify
with the places and situations Middleton describes in OtSoT. I don't
know nothin' bout no cliches, but I did like the book. :-)

Joe F.

Old January 26th, 2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

try the earth is enough...

Conan The Librarian wrote:

[_On the Spine of Time_]