Spinning rod question

Old February 24th, 2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

Default Spinning rod question

I was in my local Gander Mountain today noodling through their left-over
rods from last year. It appears they have not yet begun to stock up for the
spring season up here in MI.

I took a look at some of their Titanium IM-8 or 9s that generally run around
$150. Nice balance and feel to them. I noticed that the first guide,
nearest to the reel seat, was offset from all the other guides. So, I
looked at the next spinning rod and saw the same thing. A Shimano had the
same thing going on to a little bit lesser degree.

Then I started looking at some other brands and saw the guides all lined up
without the offset guide.

Is there something going on here with the first guide being offset that I
have not noticed previously? I bought a very nice Shimano Crucial last year
that did not have an offset. Quality control problems on these rods
perhaps? Maybe I have just missed something new in rod design here. Any
thoughts?

Old February 24th, 2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

Ok, I guess I should have done my homework. This is a variation of what is
known as a "Robert's wrap" which apparently is over 75 years old as
innovations go. It was done on heavier duty rods back in the day to relieve
the torque on the reels and rods, and to keep the line off the rod blank.

I am guessing, extrapolating if you will - so please be kind to me here -
that this is done to some of the higher end, very lightweight graphite rods
to relieve torque and minimize breakage.

Old February 24th, 2007, 08:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bill & Sue

I love the Roberts wrap! I have some made by Steve and some made by
Rodmaker. They seem to cast smoother and farther, also very sensitive.
Doc

.. .

Old February 24th, 2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 00:26:15 GMT, "johnval1"
wrote:

[...]

Not being an expert, I would guess that if just the first is out of
line and it is left over from last season, they are mis-aligned by
mistake. I would also think if you like the rod and can get it cheap,
putting on a new guide would not be a big deal.

How bout it Steve, Rodmaker??? Am I all wet here?

Dan

Remove the x for e-mail reply
1996 HD Sportster 1200S. N9JBF. Bass fishing Aficionado!
www.outdoorfrontiers.com www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Feb 23, 7:26 pm, "johnval1" wrote:
[...]

Any chance these were two piece rods and the bottom was not aligned
with the top? I have a couple of rods with the lowest guide on one
part and all the rest on the other.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old February 25th, 2007, 09:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

"Ronnie" wrote in message Any chance these were two piece rods and the
bottom was not aligned
with the top? I have a couple of rods with the lowest guide on one
part and all the rest on the other.
Ronnie

No Ronnie. That was my first thought as well, but they all turned out to be
1 piece rods.

Old February 27th, 2007, 03:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"johnval1" wrote in message
.. .

Ok, I guess I should have done my homework. This is a variation of what
is known as a "Robert's wrap" which apparently is over 75 years old as
innovations go. It was done on heavier duty rods back in the day to
relieve the torque on the reels and rods, and to keep the line off the rod
blank.

I am guessing, extrapolating if you will - so please be kind to me here -
that this is done to some of the higher end, very lightweight graphite
rods to relieve torque and minimize breakage.

Nope, what you're seeing is shoddy workmanship. A baitcasting rod can be
built with a Robert's Wrap, but it isn't possible with a spinning rod.

Spending a lot of money doesn't necessarily equate to quality. I discovered
that long ago when I started upgrading my equipment. It is also the primary
reason why I got into rod building in the first place. I'll take the same
components and assemble a much better rod!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 27th, 2007, 08:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
Nope, what you're seeing is shoddy workmanship. A baitcasting rod can be
built with a Robert's Wrap, but it isn't possible with a spinning rod.

Spending a lot of money doesn't necessarily equate to quality. I
discovered that long ago when I started upgrading my equipment. It is
also the primary reason why I got into rod building in the first place.
I'll take the same components and assemble a much better rod!

Well done Steve! Thanks for the clarification. After further search, I
found the following which directly reinforced what you said:

Roberts Wrapped Guides on a Fishing Rod
I won a great bait casting rod from Millennium Rods in Tennessee in an
internet bass fishing tournament. The rod is very light and sensitive, and I
really like it. It has the Robert's Wrap system of guide placement on it.
On a Robert's Wrapped rod, the guides spiral around the rod, so the line
never touches the rod even when it is bent. Spinning rods don't have this
problem, but since bait casting rods have the reel on top of the rod, when
you fight a fish the rod bends and the line rubs against the rod itself.

This system has been around for a long time and some people really like it.
I have no problems with it, but I can not tell that it really helps. I have
never had a problem with the line rubbing against the rod while fighting a
fish - maybe I just don't catch fish big enough to be a problem!

The Robert's Wrap is supposed to make the line flow more smoothly, too, but
I can't really tell.

I use the Millennium rod for pitching and it works well. It looks a little
strange, but I like it fine. I probalby would not pay extra for the system
when buying a rod, though.
Try out a fishing rod with Robert's Wrapped guides and see if you like it.
That is the real test

The foregoing was written by Ronnie Garrison, and is posted on
www.fishing.about.com

Thanks for helping with the ongoing education.

Old February 27th, 2007, 01:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

The Robert's Wrap is supposed to make the line flow more smoothly, too,
but
I can't really tell.

I use the Millennium rod for pitching and it works well. It looks a little
strange, but I like it fine. I probalby would not pay extra for the system
when buying a rod, though.
Try out a fishing rod with Robert's Wrapped guides and see if you like it.
That is the real test

The foregoing was written by Ronnie Garrison, and is posted on
www.fishing.about.com

Thanks for helping with the ongoing education.

If you look in this month's issue of Bass and Walleye Boats magazine, they
did an article on Robert's Wrap rods and were able to do a fairly accurate
comparison between two identical rods with different guide configurations.
The Robert's Wrap outcast the other rod with every tester.

Old February 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:
snip
Spending a lot of money doesn't necessarily equate to quality. I discovered
that long ago when I started upgrading my equipment. It is also the primary
reason why I got into rod building in the first place. I'll take the same
components and assemble a much better rod!

Buying a custom built may get you a better rod than the same
factory model but given what the manufacturers charge for blanks
it can't end up being all that much cheaper. And then there's the
warranty. If I break a G Loomis they'll send me a brand new one
via UPS for $50 and for $65 they'll get it to me in two days. If
I were to break a Huber custom built in a car door how much does
it cost to replace and how soon can you get it to me ? ;-)

Custom builts are great for fancy thread work or specialty grips
but almost all my fly rods are factory models *with* warranties.

--
Ken Fortenberry