Braided & Buzzing

Old March 26th, 2007, 11:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joshuall

Default Braided & Buzzing

Just wondering . . . I'm spooling reels for the season and I was thinking of
spooling my buzzbait reel with braided line. My thinking is (I've been so
told) that braided line sinks slower and of course have no stretch, so it
would be a good line to use. Has anyone any thoughts pro or con with regards
to using braided for buzzbaits? Thanks in advance guys and gals

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old March 27th, 2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Joshuall" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering . . . I'm spooling reels for the season and I was thinking
of spooling my buzzbait reel with braided line. My thinking is (I've been
so told) that braided line sinks slower and of course have no stretch, so
it would be a good line to use. Has anyone any thoughts pro or con with
regards to using braided for buzzbaits? Thanks in advance guys and gals

I have used braid for buzzbaits. It works fine, but you really gotta
remember not to swing or even change your retrieve untily ou feel the weight
of the fish.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old March 27th, 2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Fishking

Yup. I never use braid when fishing topwaters. some may feel differently,
but I like having a little stretch in the line when I set the hook. I found
my hook ups increased when I stopped using braid on topwater baits. I just
feel that with the no stretch braid that I might have been just ripping it
out. Again it's just my opinion and may just be a confidence thing with me.

. ..

Old March 27th, 2007, 02:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe Haubenreich

When using buzzbaits my line seldom is in contact with the water during most
of the retrieve. I could use ski rope and it probably wouldn't matter.

Braided or super-braid fused lines might help you extract big bass from
cover if they pull the bait down into the brush or weeds. On the other hand,
if a fish strikes and I have braided line, with very little stretch my
tendency would be to jerk the bait away from it.

I almost always opt for 17-pound mono with buzzbaits.

Joe
------------------
. ..

Old March 27th, 2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:34:43 -0400, "Fishking"
wrote:

Yup. I never use braid when fishing topwaters. some may feel differently,
but I like having a little stretch in the line when I set the hook. I found
my hook ups increased when I stopped using braid on topwater baits. I just
feel that with the no stretch braid that I might have been just ripping it
out. Again it's just my opinion and may just be a confidence thing with me.

Randy,
I noticed the opposite. When using topwaters with braid (PowerPro) I
hold the rod almost vertically and I don't have to set the hook. The
fish set it for me. Works pretty good actually.

"Joshuall" wrote in message
Just wondering . . . I'm spooling reels for the season and I was thinking
of spooling my buzzbait reel with braided line. My thinking is (I've been
so told) that braided line sinks slower and of course have no stretch, so
it would be a good line to use. Has anyone any thoughts pro or con with
regards to using braided for buzzbaits? Thanks in advance guys and gals

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Dan

Remove the x for e-mail reply
1996 HD Sportster 1200S. N9JBF. Bass fishing Aficionado!
www.outdoorfrontiers.com www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris Rennert

I am with Joe, 14lb or 17lb XT on my spinnerbait and buzzbait rods. I
mean, you could compensate with a softer rod, but then I think you are
getting yourself into another area of trouble with controlling the fish.
I like a Medium or Medium heavy with a fast action, but a little give in
the tip.

Chris
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Joshuall" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering . . . I'm spooling reels for the season and I was thinking
of spooling my buzzbait reel with braided line. My thinking is (I've been
so told) that braided line sinks slower and of course have no stretch, so
it would be a good line to use. Has anyone any thoughts pro or con with
regards to using braided for buzzbaits? Thanks in advance guys and gals

Well, you're asking the wrong guy here. I'm a firm believer in braided line
for just about every fishing application. I use PowerPro with buzzbaits and
find it works great. The only thing is you have to give just a slight
hesitation before setting the hook.

I also like the fact that with zero stretch, the fish is coming my way, NOW!
Usually on the hookset I can get the fish moving in my direction and if the
fish does burrow down into the weeds, the smaller diameter cuts weed stems
better than larger diameter mono.

The biggest problem is that because you feel everything, it's easy to set
the hook too soon, hence the momentary hesitation in setting the hook.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 15th, 2007, 12:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Guy F. Anderson Sr.

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:03:01 -0600, "Joshuall"
wrote:

Just wondering . . . I'm spooling reels for the season and I was thinking of
spooling my buzzbait reel with braided line.

I have used Berkley Fireline 30 lb, on my buzzbaits (my fave) for many
years. It's an extruded line, not braided, with ZERO stretch and
excellent abrasion resistance. You can snake logs with Fireline!!