Polarized Prescription Glasses Question

Old March 22nd, 2005, 02:17 AM
Sum Ting Wong

Default Polarized Prescription Glasses Question

I'm going to get some new prescription sunglasses and would like to
get polarized lenses for fishing. Does anyone have any wisdom to lay
on me re lens color, etc. ? Thanks.

S.T.W.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 02:38 AM
Wolfgang

"Sum Ting Wong" wrote in message
I'm going to get some new prescription sunglasses and would like to
get polarized lenses for fishing. Does anyone have any wisdom to lay
on me re lens color, etc. ?

Yes. Choose wisely........choose a color you like.

Thanks.

De nada.

Wolfgang

Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:46 AM
Sum Ting Wong

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:38:24 -0600, "Wolfgang"
wrote:

Yes. Choose wisely........choose a color you like.

Wolfie, that was a serious question. Some colors are supposed to be
better for seeing into the water. Do you have any practical
experience with polarized lenses or do you just have too much time on
your hands?

S.T.W.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:15 AM
Padishar Creel

"Sum Ting Wong" wrote in message
I'm going to get some new prescription sunglasses and would like to
get polarized lenses for fishing. Does anyone have any wisdom to lay
on me re lens color, etc. ? Thanks.

----------
Sum, if you need bi-focals get the lined kind in sunglasses. Chris

Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:04 PM
Wolfgang

wrote:

Yes. Choose wisely........choose a color you like.

Wolfie, that was a serious question. Some colors are supposed to be
better for seeing into the water. Do you have any practical
experience with polarized lenses or do you just have too much time on
your hands?

I realized it was a serious question. I can't be certain, but I like to
think I wouldn't have answered otherwise.

I'm also aware that some colors are reputed to be better for viewing things
below the surface of the water. Evidently, so are you. I don't recall
which colors get the most votes but I'll bet a shiny new nickel the matter
is not without controversy. It looks like you may already have done a bit
of research on this, so you probably know more about it than I do.

I've used both amber and gray. I like amber. Others prefer gray. You may
already have some experience with polarized lenses.....I don't know. If
not, your best bet is to try all the colors you can find. In all
likelihood, you'll find that you like one color better than the others.

Choose the color you like.

Wolfgang

Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:04 PM
Gary M

wrote:

Yes. Choose wisely........choose a color you like.

Wolfie, that was a serious question. Some colors are supposed to be
better for seeing into the water. Do you have any practical
experience with polarized lenses or do you just have too much time on
your hands?

S.T.W.

It depends on environment you'll be fishing. Brown / Light brown seems
to be best for stripers on the flats, in my experience. I do see folks
with dark black glasses though, so perhaps Wolfgang's more right than
you think.

For trout fishing I've never felt the need for polarizing glasses. On my
rivers (usu. freestone, tannin stained) the fish rise from nowhere and
vanish in an instant. I've sat still for hours to watch a fish rise and
no matter how hard you try to follow their downward path, they always
vanish into the depths whence they came. At the Secret Spot I've seen
the pool come alive with rising fish. Maybe 20, 30 fish working. But
when it's all over, you could not spot one of them. Sometimes you can
get a clue from the flash of a nymphing fish, or a silhouette against a
sandy bar, but this is not so common, and really doesn't require a
special lense color to maximize it anyway.

However on the flats, forgetting you polarizing glasses is like
forgetting your rod and means it's time to go find something else to do
that day. If that's your poison I'd try out a few colors until you're
happy, if you can.

HTH,

Gary
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:17 PM
asadi

Sum, it's obvious. Wolf prefers rose colored glasses. I prefer dismal gray.

Actually, I have enough trouble keeping track of one pair of glasses. Couple
that with the fact that I start out in light and fish until dark I had to
carry two pair. So now I just use the clip ons that go over your glasses
that can be later removed.

john

Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Lazarus Cooke

I'd go for yellowy amber. I haven't had a pair of prescription
polarized since some evil ******* stole my pair from my car many years
ago. Hope they gave him a headache.

But yellow is supposed to, and IMO possibly does help seeing contrast
in poor light.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Scott Seidman

Sum Ting Wong wrote in
:

I'm going to get some new prescription sunglasses and would like to
get polarized lenses for fishing. Does anyone have any wisdom to lay
on me re lens color, etc. ? Thanks.

S.T.W.

Depends on how you tend to use them. I like copper colored for rivers, and
gray for lakes. If you fish near twilight, a bright amber might buy you
some fishing time.

Scott
Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
slenon

Sum, serious answer to your question. Try the Action Optics prescription
service.
http://www.actionoptics.com/rxCollec...ollection.html

I recommend the photochromic Clearwater Copper. They also work well for
driving. Best high end sunglasses I've ever worn.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
When the dawn came up like thunder

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm