Don't let yer meat loaf

Old November 12th, 2003, 02:46 AM
Wolfgang

Default Don't let yer meat loaf

Meatloaf:

2 pounds ground beef.....leaner is better
2/3 cup brown rice
2 large eggs
2 LARGE cloves garlic
8 oz. Harry and David Hot & Smoky Pepper & Onion Relish.....or any variation
on the same theme (this stuff is kind of sweet....that's a GOOD thing)
2 oz. raw pine nuts
As much cilantro as you can stand......oh, c'mon, a little MORE, sissy.
Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste.

Chop garlic coarsely....or....what the hell.....make it a couple dozen small
cloves and leave 'em whole.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and squish together thoroughly.....USE
YOUR HANDS GODAMMIT....but wash them first.

Smash into a 9x5 or thereabouts cake pan (or meatloaf pan, I s'pose) and
bake at 350 for about an hour and a half....until the rice is done ("done"
means different things to different people, evidently; we like some chew
left in the rice......even a bit of crunch).

Allow meatloaf to rest briefly while......

Veggies:

12-16 white icicle radishes.....roughly 3 inches long
4 spring onions (green onions)
2 or 3 Belgian endive.....roughly 3-4 inches long
About 1/12 cups bean sprouts
12-15 cherry tomatoes
Juice of 1 lime
1 oz. marsala wine (port, sherry, amontillado, muscatel, or any other sweet
dessert wine will do, I suppose)
1/2 oz. chardonnay or similar
1/2 oz. Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey
A dash of pear infused white balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. EVO
Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste

Trim tops and bottoms from radishes and leave whole. Cut onions into 2 inch
sections. Cut endive lengthwise into quarters.

Combine lime juice, wines, whiskey, vinegar, salt and pepper in a separate
bowl.

When the meat loaf is done, heat wok or whatever large pan is available or
medium high heat for about one minute. Add olive oil and hear for another
minute. Ad radishes and cook for about three minutes, tossing or stirring
frequently, until they just begin to turn translucent. Add onions and
reduce heat to medium. Cook, tossing or stirring frequently, for about one
minute. Add tomatoes, endive, and bean sprouts. cook for about a minute
and a half until all veggies are hot. turn heat to high. Add sauce, and
cook until it comes to a boil.

Serve meatloaf and veggies immediately with any good crusty white bread and
red wine or robust dark beer of choice.

Wolfgang
food is NEVER off topic!
p.s. i work in metric in the lab and in english standard (or whatever the
hell it's called) in the kitchen. both work beautifully in their own
element and i can think of no good reason to convert unless absolutely
necessary....as in some foreign cookbook or completely daft (or ancient)
scientific paper. conversions are easy to find on the web.....yer on yer
own.
p.p.s. i am aware that extra virgin olive oil is commonly abbreviated as
EVOO.....so, sue me.

Old November 12th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Lennie Richardson

"Wolfgang" wrote in message
Meatloaf:

luscious sounding recipes snipped

DAMN!!!

Will you marry me?

;^)

Old November 12th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Wolfgang

"Lennie Richardson" wrote in message
.com...

"Wolfgang" wrote in message
Meatloaf:

luscious sounding recipes snipped

DAMN!!!

Will you marry me?

Mmmm............can you cook?

Wolfgang
who can be had, but ain't easy.

Old November 12th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Lennie Richardson

"Wolfgang" wrote in message
Meatloaf:

luscious sounding recipes snipped

DAMN!!!

Will you marry me?

Mmmm............can you cook?

Well, not to brag, but... Ask Wayno and Wally and OP and Jeff.

Old November 12th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Frank Reid

Rice in a meatloaf?? Do you put peanut butter in chili as well??

Well, it might do the same thing as chocolate in the chili. I'll have to
try it.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Wolfgang

"B J Conner" wrote in message

Rice in a meatloaf?? Do you put peanut butter in chili as well??

Haven't tried it yet. You got a recipe?

Wolfgang
today's challenge: can ANYBODY think of a bull****, knock together, grab
bag, whatever **** you can find, throw the last rotting dregs from the
refrigerator, if you can't identify it it's a ****ing ingredient, food
that's been the subject of more abject nonsense and militant moronic
"authenticity" than chili (or chilli.....or chile....or whateverthe****, if
you prefer)?

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Wolfgang

"Frank Reid" moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf wrote in message
...chocolate in the chili....

Ah, now THAT is a fascinating (as well as perfectly logical) idea!

Wolfgang
gotta try that.

Old November 12th, 2003, 06:34 AM

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:55:54 -0500, "Frank Reid"
moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf wrote:

Rice in a meatloaf?? Do you put peanut butter in chili as well??

Well, it might do the same thing as chocolate in the chili. I'll have to
try it.

Never thought of it _in_ chilli. Hmmm. I like to have a cup of hot
chocolate _with_ it, so it makes sense to me.

Rice in meatloaf sounds okay. I've used bread or oatmeal in it.
Bread in meatloaf is what I grew up on, oatmeal is what I started to
use once when we didn't happen to have a loaf of sacrificial bread
around and sometimes still do.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:10 AM
B J Conner

Chili in peanut butter has been known to kill people,
I had something the other day in a Thai restaurant that had peanut butter
and chili in it but it wasn't chili, it was...... pretty good.