Best baitcast reel for a limited budget.

Old February 24th, 2005, 05:15 AM
El Conquistador

Default Best baitcast reel for a limited budget.

Going to BPS tomorrow night and need input here. Any info
appreciated.....

Thanx,
BN

Old February 24th, 2005, 01:48 PM
James Hancock

I like the BPS 'Extreme' low-profile reel, it's smooooth, 5 bearings,
lightweight perforated spool, one-piece aluminum frame, good adjustments for
cast control, and on sale right now for about $50 bucks at basspro.com. If
BPS doesn't have the sale at the store, you can print out the online ad and
ask for a price match.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...arget=bro wse

Pick one up and see how it feels in your hands.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way except as satisfied with the
product.

Old February 24th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Ronnie Garrison

El Conquistador wrote:

Going to BPS tomorrow night and need input here. Any info
appreciated.....

Thanx,
BN

leave your credit card at home.
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Joshuall

Curado in my opinion.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old February 24th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)

Charles and I both started out with the "Extreme's" and we were pleased with
the reels performance. Charles still has a few of his, and my son is still
using mine. They're what I'd consider "big bang for your bucks".

"James Hancock" wrote in message
m...
I like the BPS 'Extreme' low-profile reel, it's smooooth, 5 bearings,
lightweight perforated spool, one-piece aluminum frame, good adjustments

for
cast control, and on sale right now for about $50 bucks at basspro.com.

If
BPS doesn't have the sale at the store, you can print out the online ad

and
ask for a price match.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...&hvarDept=100&
hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarge t=browse

Old February 24th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Charles B. Summers

You beat me to it again Jerry. I don't think I have any of the Extremes
left, but do have a couple of the Pro Qualifiers which I think are not as
good as the Extremes.

The Extremes are the reels that I learned to use a baitcaster on. Nice reel
for the price. Be sure to get BPS to spool it up for you for free!

Old February 24th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Illinois Fisherman

The only problems I have with "Store name brands" is that they do not last
as long as the Name brand products do. I do not believe you get what you
pay for with Store name brands". If there reel is on sale for half price
they still are making profit. Get your self a decent Abu Garcia, Shimano or
Daiwa reel. I have had a few - 6 to be exact of the Bass Pro named
products - cheap construction on the inside where it counts. Gears, and
drags seem to wear out within two years and have to be sent back for repair
and parts charges which are almost enough to buy a new reel.

This is just my personal experience with one retailers brand.

The best advice I could give you is to buy what feels right for you and your
style of fishing at a price you can afford. If all you can afford is the
Store name brand just remember you may have to replace it or fix it long
before a real name brand reel is just getting broke in.

Old February 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Charles B. Summers

Curado is not a limited-budget reel in my opinion. However, after biting the
bullet and buying my first Curado... I haven't bought anything else. I think
I have four of them now, slowly weeding out my others.

"Joshuall" wrote in message
Curado in my opinion.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old February 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Charles B. Summers" wrote in message
Curado is not a limited-budget reel in my opinion. However, after biting
the
bullet and buying my first Curado... I haven't bought anything else. I
think
I have four of them now, slowly weeding out my others.

I agree with you Charles, a Curado is not a limited budget reel. However,
when you consider that a quality reel will last longer and need
repair/replacement less, which is the better bargain?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 24th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Charles B. Summers

Oh, I agree Steve, but it's hard to convince yourself sometimes to spend
that much money on one reel, when you can get three for the same price.
Sometimes you do have to justify the cost with yourself, and most of the
time with your spouse. Luckily, my wife could care less about fishing
equipment and has no idea what a reel should normally cost.

Maglight makes a nice flashlight, but I have trouble paying $20+ for a
flashlight. Sure, I still own three or four of them now, and several of the
smaller AA ones... but they're just hard to justify. I'd LOVE to have the
rechargable Maglight, but $90??? I keep putting stuff like that on my
Christmas and birthday lists...

Repairing reels is also something that I can do myself, thank to the Pro
Qualifiers that I have... so if you're able to do that, it makes it even
harder to justify $120 for a piece of fishing equipment. If it weren't for
the Outdoor Rewards program that BPS has, I probably wouldn't have gotten
that first Curado. Very much worth the money... but taking that first step
is always hard.

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...