Big and bigger

Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:36 AM
Salmo Bytes

Default Big and bigger

From the Lewis and Clark Journals: from the "abridgment of
the definitive Nebraska edition."

August 24, 1804
[Clark] The Plain to North N.W. & N.E. extends without
interuption as far as Can be Seen...if all the timber which
is on the Stone Creek was on 100 acres it would not be
thickly timbered, the Soil of those Plains are delightful.

[Whitehouse] some of our men caught Nine Cat fish. 5 of
them was very large, weighing on a average 100lbs.

September 10, 1804
[Clark] on a hill on the L.S. we found the backbone of a fish,
45 feet long tapering to the tale, some teeth.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:06 AM
Wolfgang

"Salmo Bytes" wrote in message
om...
From the Lewis and Clark Journals: from the "abridgment of
the definitive Nebraska edition."

August 24, 1804
[Clark] The Plain to North N.W. & N.E. extends without
interuption as far as Can be Seen...if all the timber which
is on the Stone Creek was on 100 acres it would not be
thickly timbered, the Soil of those Plains are delightful.

[Whitehouse] some of our men caught Nine Cat fish. 5 of
them was very large, weighing on a average 100lbs.

September 10, 1804
[Clark] on a hill on the L.S. we found the backbone of a fish,
45 feet long tapering to the tale, some teeth.

Hm......I got a shiny new nickel says that weren't no fish. Billy?

Wolfgang
who, it must be admitted, loves to watch the boy sweat.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
Wolfgang

"William Claspy" wrote in message
On 9/1/04 9:06 PM, in article ,

"Wolfgang"
wrote:

"Salmo Bytes" wrote in message
om...
From the Lewis and Clark Journals: from the "abridgment of
the definitive Nebraska edition."

August 24, 1804
[Clark] The Plain to North N.W. & N.E. extends without
interuption as far as Can be Seen...if all the timber which
is on the Stone Creek was on 100 acres it would not be
thickly timbered, the Soil of those Plains are delightful.

[Whitehouse] some of our men caught Nine Cat fish. 5 of
them was very large, weighing on a average 100lbs.

September 10, 1804
[Clark] on a hill on the L.S. we found the backbone of a fish,
45 feet long tapering to the tale, some teeth.

Hm......I got a shiny new nickel says that weren't no fish.

Billy?

Wolfgang
who, it must be admitted, loves to watch the boy sweat.

Won't even have to break a sweat. We don't have the abridged

edition, just
the 13 volume version :-)

And if Clark sez it was a fish, I'll believe him, bibliography or

no!

William
(who plans to add the Moulton abridged volume to his modest private

holdings
sooner or later)

It wasn't till many years after I read the journals that I discovered
the volume I owned was somewhat shy of the full load.

Don't remember where or when I saw them, but there are several
references purporting to prove that Clark's big fish was actually some
kind of itchyosaur or something.

Wolfgang
scratch, scratch.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:46 PM
William Claspy

On 9/2/04 11:37 AM, in article , "Wolfgang"
wrote:

"William Claspy" wrote in message
On 9/1/04 9:06 PM, in article
,
"Wolfgang"
wrote:

"Salmo Bytes" wrote in message
om...
From the Lewis and Clark Journals: from the "abridgment of
[...]

Grrrr. Plesiosaur, apparently, but I've not found a source that I trust. I
know you're all waiting with baited breath, so I'll keep digging...

Bill

Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:59 PM
Chip Bartholomay

William Claspy wrote:

Don't remember where or when I saw them, but there are several
references purporting to prove that Clark's big fish was actually some
kind of itchyosaur or something.

Wolfgang
scratch, scratch.

Grrrr. Plesiosaur, apparently, but I've not found a source that I trust. I
know you're all waiting with baited breath, so I'll keep digging...

Actually, it seems that the September 10, 1804 "find" may have been a mosasaur:

http://www.oceansofkansas.com/Goldfuss.html

http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2004RM/fin...ract_72016.htm

(note: the Tyosaurus mentioned in the latter was a species of mosasaur).