Another question

Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
egildone

Default Another question

After receiving such a great response to my question on hand made
leaders I thought I'd ask another question: What knot do you use to tie
your fly to the leader? I have always used either an improved clinch or
a palomar knot, but it has been suggested that I use a turle knot or run
the line through the eye and tie a loop allowing the fly more natural
action.

Thanks in advance for all the responses!

Ed
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

egildone wrote:
After receiving such a great response to my question on hand made
leaders I thought I'd ask another question: What knot do you use to tie
your fly to the leader? I have always used either an improved clinch or
a palomar knot, but it has been suggested that I use a turle knot or run
the line through the eye and tie a loop allowing the fly more natural
action.

Thanks in advance for all the responses!

The turle knot is weak. I don't think many people use it these days.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

egildone wrote:
After receiving such a great response to my question on hand made
leaders I thought I'd ask another question: What knot do you use to tie
your fly to the leader? ...

I use a clinch knot, not the improved clinch, just a plain
5-7 turn clinch knot. It seems to me the clinch is stronger
than the improved clinch and it's one step easier to tie.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

egildone wrote:
After receiving such a great response to my question on hand made
leaders I thought I'd ask another question: What knot do you use to tie
your fly to the leader? I have always used either an improved clinch or
a palomar knot, but it has been suggested that I use a turle knot or run
the line through the eye and tie a loop allowing the fly more natural
action.

When you mentioned a more natural action of a fly, you may also want to
consider the "Duncan Loop or Uni-Knot" It works best for subsurface flies,
gives it that swim action. I like using the Duncan loop for the soft hackle
wooly worm.
http://www.killroys.com/knots/duncan.htm
fwiw,
-tom

Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"egildone" wrote ...

What knot do you use to tie your fly to the leader?

Usually an improved clinch, but sometimes a Uni. No real rationale for why,
just sometimes the mood strikes.

Dan

Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"egildone" wrote

What knot do you use to tie
your fly to the leader?

Pitzen Knot

Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Larry L" wrote in message

"egildone" wrote

What knot do you use to tie
your fly to the leader?

Pitzen Knot

Larry, thanks for bringing the name of Pitzen up. For the life of me, I
couldn't remember the name of that knot. Heard it was a good knot to tie the
fly to the tippet. I just looked it up in search, the knot named after the
German angler Edgar Pitzenbauer...said to be 20% stronger than the clinch.

Speaking of knots, anyone use knot-sense? I've seen this in the fly-shops,
even read the instructions, but never used it. They even have an
ultraviolet light which cures the knot-sense solution faster.
-tom

Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

egildone wrote in news:33Pmh.29247$_44.11586
@newsfe23.lga:

After receiving such a great response to my question on hand made
leaders I thought I'd ask another question: What knot do you use to tie
your fly to the leader? I have always used either an improved clinch or
a palomar knot, but it has been suggested that I use a turle knot or run
the line through the eye and tie a loop allowing the fly more natural
action.

Thanks in advance for all the responses!

Ed

I generally use and improved cinch, but I've also messed around with the
George Harvey knot for trout, and haven't had any trouble with it.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkknots/index4.html

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
briansfly

Tom Nakashima wrote:
"Larry L" wrote in message

"egildone" wrote

What knot do you use to tie

your fly to the leader?

Pitzen Knot

Larry, thanks for bringing the name of Pitzen up. For the life of me, I
couldn't remember the name of that knot. Heard it was a good knot to tie the
fly to the tippet. I just looked it up in search, the knot named after the
German angler Edgar Pitzenbauer...said to be 20% stronger than the clinch.

Speaking of knots, anyone use knot-sense? I've seen this in the fly-shops,
even read the instructions, but never used it. They even have an
ultraviolet light which cures the knot-sense solution faster.
-tom

I've used UV Knot Sense. It's ok, but a bit too brittle to my liking. I
don't use it for any knots on the leader, other that the leader butt, to
fly line connection. I switched to UV Wader Patch, for that connection.
It's more pliable, and doesn't seem the crack as easy. Just bought the
small UV light. Very handy little toy. Now I don't have to walk outside
every time I need to cure the material. It doesn't cure the product
faster than sunlight....you just don't need sunlight. FWIW, I only use
the stuff to smooth the connection, and not for any added strength.

brians

Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...

I generally use and improved cinch, but I've also messed around with the
George Harvey knot for trout, and haven't had any trouble with it.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkknots/index4.html
Scott
Reverse name to reply

I like the Flyfisherman site, actually hit the back button and saw a few
other knots I wanted to try; the Eugene Bend. I don't do the needle knot
for a butt section to the fly-line, but thought about starting. Anyone know
the size needle to use for 5wt line? Also what size butt-line to use,
thinking it should be a diameter slightly larger than the leader.
fwiw,
-tom