OT- Boasting just a bit about getting the act together

Old May 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

Default OT- Boasting just a bit about getting the act together

This isn't going to rival Steve's fine report but I needed to boast a
wee bit to somebody and ROFF it is.

Beginning in 1992 when I started traveling as a consultant I began
chain smoking and eating like someone escaping a famine and entering a
McDonalds for the first time. At the same time I quit even the basic
activities I was doing like playing softball and taking long strolls/
hikes. By the time I turned 50 in 2008 I was over the 320 lb mark and
last year when I fished with Mr. Fortenberry in Michigan I was
carrying around 338 lbs. Even with a couple of hospital admissions for
a misfiring heart and the onset of Diabetes I would often jest my last
words were going to be "one more donut/cigarette isn't going to kill
me"

The last few years I had been mostly confined to roadside fishing.
Last May I couldn't make one of the easier hikes a mile or so in to a
brookie stream in the Smokys without stopping to catch my breath every
100 yards or so. In June, while fishing with Mr. Fortenberry on the
Jordan River, I proceeded to do Mr. Reid proud in quicksand laced
waters with a depth of 2'. On the way home from my cut short trip to
Michigan, I knew something had to change.

Last July 7th I consulted a physician, dietician, and trainer and
started a slow process to fitness. This morning I weighed in at 230
lbs and ran (slowly jogged is more like it) the Indianapolis Half
Marathon. I didn't set any records and won't be invited to Boston
Marathon anytime soon but I finished the darn thing. While I can't
confess to being smoke free, a pack now lasts me weeks and not hours.
In the morning I am heading out for Fontana Lake and catching the
ferry to the Hazel Creek trail for a three day backpacking excursion
to its headwaters. Provided I don't become bear poop, I will post some
kind of a report when I return next weekend. Nothing as nice as
Steve's but a report that won't involve much roadside fishing except
for a planned head hunting trip for bigger browns in the Little River
on the way home from NC.

Thanks for reading

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 8-May-2010, Wayne Knight wrote:

[...]

Wayne

Unless you are another of Forty's fictional and evil minions
I would like to say
Congratulations man!
Keep it up
..

Try to quit smoking, as you wean yourself off of them - My wife and
daiughter have tried the smokeless cigarettes and it has helped them to cut
down considerably

Its a stupid unhealthy and dirty habit
And your family probably needs you

As you get older its harder to maintain a good weight - more exercise
Less food is easy for me but
I have to exercise doing somethinhg I like while exercising -
riding a bike, a treadmill whatever it may be - do it!

Music -

Can get me thru a workout - I have an mp3 player- one of the greatest
inventions ever.

Don't be intimidated by Steve's TR

Everyone has their own experiences and anything that you share I would hope
will be read and appreciated by all or most on this list -

Thanks for sharing your dilemma - It is unfortunately not uncommon
Nor is it OT

Keep it up

(if you are one of Forty's multitude of minions then I have been fooled
again)

Jack Lalanne

Fred
Old May 9th, 2010, 01:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Awesome story, Wayne. Looking forward to the TR.

Old May 9th, 2010, 02:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2010-05-08 19:21:20 -0400, Wayne Knight said:

This isn't going to rival Steve's fine report but I needed to boast a
wee bit to somebody and ROFF it is.

A story like that needs boasting, so boast away some more. Congrats on
the cigarettes and weight. Giving up the butts can be very difficult,
but after 15 years butt free, I can tell you you'll be better without
them.

From 338 to 230 is one helluva chore. Congrats. I need to do
something about my weight - I have gained 10 pounds here in Georgia,
and am now at 225.

Old May 9th, 2010, 04:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On May 8, 6:21*pm, Wayne Knight wrote:
[...]

Nothing snipped. When I talked to you on the phone the other day, I
was gobsmacked. 115 lbs, running half marathons, you da man.
Congrats my friend.
Old May 9th, 2010, 04:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Wayne Knight wrote:
[...]

Way to go old friend. That's a hell of a lot of progress in less
than a year. If you had told me last year that you were going to
run a half marathon within a year I wouldn't have believed it.
Nicely done.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark Bowen

Great to hear Wayne!

Just took a measure of my own weight--220lbs. I too need to quit dippin' and
smokin', begin exercisin' and drop to about 180 lbs. I completed the MPA
program and figure on takin' at least a year off before applying to a
doctoral program, which will also depend on whether I can land a job in
local government. If I land a job as a town/city/county manager, the
doctoral schooling will go the way of the doo doo.

Anyway, I hope that in a year I can report similar good news as you. Have a
great trip on Hazel and remember you don't have to out run the bear, you
only have to out run your fishin' buddy!

Op

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton[_2_]

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message

snipped, a report, which in it's own way is every bit as inspirational as
RW's

good to hear that 'report'. Enjoy, and get back safely.
Tom

Old May 9th, 2010, 07:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

[...]

Well done, friend. The "quit smoking" will come. Don't respond to
nagging. You quit for yourself when you do.

I've been off of them for 36 years and LOVE them. But, for me, it
doesn't make sense.

Good luck

oz
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

[...]

Way to go, Wayne. I'm sorry I can't meet up with you in the
Smokies this year to maybe take a hike back to that little brookie
stream where I saw you last. :-)

Chuck Vance