a bit of advice please on whips ( fishing question that is )

Old August 25th, 2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Default a bit of advice please on whips ( fishing question that is )

Hi all,

I really have never been interested in using poles and whips, seemed a step
back to use a stick with line tied to the end.

However, my grandson ( aged just 4 ), has started fishing with me and he has
difficulty in understanding the needs to mend line and keep tension so I
thought it might be an idea to use a whip so I remove the need to understand
reels and line problems.

So far so good except I now realise that my knowledge of whips and poles is
limited to the idea only and I lack the detail I need to carry this off
without looking a total ploker in front of my grandson.

I am getting a cheep Keenets 5M whip kit to start him off, he is a tall lad
for 4 years old and can handle it I think. I only expect him to take small
and moderate fish at first and if he keeps his current interest I can
progress him back on to rod and line later.

So can any body aim me at a beginners guide to whip fishing or give any
advice please. Do not worry about starting from he beginning as I have never
used one or watched anyone using one. Line connection is also of interest as
I am told that you do not use elastic on whips, yes! I am that green when it
comes to this matter.

--
Gandalf

Old August 28th, 2007, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Gandalf
wrote:

Hi all,

I really have never been interested in using poles and whips, seemed a step
back to use a stick with line tied to the end.

However, my grandson ( aged just 4 ), has started fishing with me and he has
difficulty in understanding the needs to mend line and keep tension so I
thought it might be an idea to use a whip so I remove the need to understand
reels and line problems.

I always take beginners to the smallest streams - and usually provide them
with a slow running centrepin. The stream must be narrow enough that
casting is not needed and swift enough that the current straightens out the
line. -I- do the loosefeeding and we move on each time we scare a swim.

So far so good except I now realise that my knowledge of whips and poles is
limited to the idea only and I lack the detail I need to carry this off
without looking a total ploker in front of my grandson.

I am getting a cheep Keenets 5M whip kit to start him off, he is a tall lad
for 4 years old and can handle it I think. I only expect him to take small

But 4 is very young. Too young imo. I'd prefer to give him a net and find
somewhere of child-welly depth where he can catch wriggly things which you
look at together in a white bottomed dish and maybe look up in a book - the
I-spy series were great for this.

I have a few suggestions on:
http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/...ild/index.html

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old August 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Hi Derek,

4 is very young but this is an unusual 4 year old. We did the net and
stickleback thing when he was just 3. I know all grandparents think their
grandchildren are outstanding but this little one is and can catch fish, he
can identify most of them too. Just got a slight mental block on the use of
a reel. His interest does fade out after 90 minutes or so but a couple of
hours fishing with him is fine, his interest fades due to me having to sort
out the line for him so maybe the pole will help this.

I am getting 5 meter pole tomorrow and think he will be able to use it. I
have found out enough about them to get started and will use it for a while
myself so I can teach him, he will probably learn faster than me.

No streams to actually fish so it is all still waters which is fine until
you get line drift and have to mend it for him.

The pole is not costing me much so nothing really lost if it fails.

Many thanks Derek.

--
Gandalf

Old August 30th, 2007, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Gandalf
wrote:
Hi Derek,

No streams to actually fish so it is all still waters which is fine until
you get line drift and have to mend it for him.

Really? Not even in/outflows?

A metre wide and half that deep is enough...

Cheerio,

Old August 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_3_]

No, just a small stream inlet and a drain off that is a little more but
still only stickleback territory. I do have a section of canal fairly close
but even that is closed both ends.

Nearest real river is the Thames at Cricklade which I used to fish right
down to Lechlade in my youth. I do miss river fishing though and may try to
find some day ticket waters on the Thames. I think there is some at St Johns
Lock just down from Lechlade. Handy little pub right by the river as well if
I remember right.

Off out tomorrow but it will be rod and line in a lake known for large
bream, feeder fishing will be the method. Going to teach my daughter, my
grandsons mother, for the morning as she now wants to go with him as well.
They all think it is so easy.VBG

Cheers Gandalf

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Gandalf
Hi Derek,

Old August 31st, 2007, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Andy

"Gandalf" gandalf not for wrote in message
No, just a small stream inlet and a drain off that is a little more but
still only stickleback territory. I do have a section of canal fairly
close but even that is closed both ends.

Nearest real river is the Thames at Cricklade which I used to fish right
down to Lechlade in my youth. I do miss river fishing though and may try
to find some day ticket waters on the Thames. I think there is some at St
Johns Lock just down from Lechlade. Handy little pub right by the river as
well if I remember right.

Off out tomorrow but it will be rod and line in a lake known for large
bream, feeder fishing will be the method. Going to teach my daughter, my
grandsons mother, for the morning as she now wants to go with him as well.
They all think it is so easy.VBG

Cheers Gandalf

Hi Gandalf,

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago with my son. Partly
because of the advice from this group (Derek!) and partly due to an
introduction to fishing event held by the Environment agency, I ended up
taking my son to the Thames (Reading area) with a pole (4M is easy enough
for a child that size). He started caching fish within seconds! I suggest
you check the EA web page to see it there is a similar event in your area.
The format seems to be a session with a qualified fishing instructor, a bit
of 'pond dipping' and finished off with a goody bag - a pole with all you
need to get started. All you need to add is bait.

Don't under estimate how successful a simple pole can be - about 10 days ago
I took both my kids to the Thames and they caught nearly 100 fish between
them, mostly Roach but some perch, dace and I even caught a sizeable pike!

Derek is absolutely right to highlight the danger of a young child near
water, but if the right location is chosen this should be manageable.

One thing that has really surprised me is the 'staying power' a young child
can have. I expected the attention to wander after a short while, however
the last trip was 5 hours long and they didn't want to go home even then...

Andy.

Old August 31st, 2007, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_3_]

Hi Andy,

I agree Derek is a an example to us all and what I remember of anglers back
when I used to fish regularly and had hair. He is a good man and has helped
me a couple of times.

We did have one of the open days and it was on the lake I usually fish but
he was considered too young by one of the organisers. Pity really if he
could have had a pole for free and someone to teach us both.

I think I have it sorted with the poles now, will soon find out as I am
taking him next week and have two short poles. A very light one of 4 meters
which I think will suit him and a cheap 5 metre one for me to play with and
get used too.

The only thing I am left thinking about is that the 4 meter one has two
tops, a normal whip top and an elasticised one. My pole has only a ring but
I am told I could elasticate it if I wanted too. Not sure if I want too as I
have no idea what the advantages and disadvantages are. Guess I got to use
to as a true whip before I decide.

Anyone got any thoughts on this I would be very happy to hear them.

My grandson is very eager to get out and came to meet me and his mother
fishing today. I managed to catch some small perch with both my grandsons
helping with my rod so they think I am God at the moment as they have no
idea the level of luck involved in that.

Managed to get my daughter to catch a few nice perch as well, nothing huge
( only about 10 ozs ) but not bad for a first attempt. I had a few perch at
close to the pound and a very nice little roach at about a pound.

A nice day out for a pleasure session.

--
Gandalf

Old September 1st, 2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Steve Walker

In message , Gandalf
writes
No, just a small stream inlet and a drain off that is a little more but
still only stickleback territory. I do have a section of canal fairly close
but even that is closed both ends.

Nearest real river is the Thames at Cricklade which I used to fish right
down to Lechlade in my youth.

The Thames is still free fishing upstream of the dual carriageway
overpass to the first bridge upstream of Cricklade. It's not really the
sort of easy fishing Derek has in mind, though.

Actually, I'm after a few sticklebacks for my garden pond, I don't
suppose you'd care to share the location of your stickleback hunting
grounds? :0)

--
Steve Walker
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_3_]

Almost any stream 10 mile sup the road from Cricklade in Swindon. We seem to
be having a glut of them I am glad to say. You may have to fish around a few
natural obstacles though like shopping trolleys.VBG

I did the whole thing with a net for the grandsons a year back and we caught
5 in one scoop, 3 spin if I remember correctly. I did think of trying with a
stick and hook but did not want to show myself up.VBG

I have a few hundred baby goldfish ( natural colours now ) in my pond if you
want them, seems I got the vegetarian gold fish in the world back when I
started it off. I was tempted to try out the pole at home though.(;-)

--
Gandalf

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In message , Gandalf
writes

Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Steve Walker

In message , Gandalf
writes
Almost any stream 10 mile sup the road from Cricklade in Swindon. We seem to
be having a glut of them I am glad to say. You may have to fish around a few
natural obstacles though like shopping trolleys.VBG

Par for the course! I shall go for a look, then, see if I can't net
myself a few.

I did the whole thing with a net for the grandsons a year back and we caught
5 in one scoop, 3 spin if I remember correctly. I did think of trying with a
stick and hook but did not want to show myself up.VBG

When we were kids, we used to catch them on worms. They used to cling to
the end of the worm rather than getting hooked, and you could often
catch two at a time. A friend of mine had a baby bath sunken into his
garden, in which we used to have stickleback fishing competitions, tying
the worm on and using a matchstick for a float. Particularly popular
after blanking somewhere else!

I have a few hundred baby goldfish ( natural colours now ) in my pond if you
want them, seems I got the vegetarian gold fish in the world back when I
started it off. I was tempted to try out the pole at home though.(;-)

Ah, thanks, but this pond is just for native species. I've a few rudd in
it to keep the mosquito larvae down, and I thought it would be nice to
get a population of sticklebacks going. I know that the frog botherers
insist that a wildlife pond should contain no fish at all, but what they
espouse is a frog sanctuary, not a wildlife pond.

--
Steve Walker