An Evening on a Bass River

Old July 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

Default An Evening on a Bass River

Did a little scouting today. I think I've found the next smallie Clave
campground. I just have to get a hold of the powers-that-be and see if
we can work something out.

The grounds are neat and trim. They're also situated on the banks of a
river we'll call Yiminy, for now. After doing a little tour of the
sites I climbed down the steep bank, tied on a Deerhair Diver and cast
out near a boulder, mid-river. The third cast, placed right against
the face of the rock, brought a small boil and then a hard fast run.
After a couple of minutes this fine lass lay in my hand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._0046Small.jpg

I'm guessing two to three pounds.

I continued fishing downstream for about 45 minutes. It is a gorgeous
northern river that runs through heavily forested, lightly farmed
countryside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._0043Small.jpg

I fished around the large rocks that studded a small rapids. Then I
turned and started back up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._0049Small.jpg

I wanted to investigate the old dam site that the campground is named
after. I was catching fish on a regular basis. All on top. None as big
as the first although I did tie into a 15 incher that was a lot of
fun.

By the time I fished my way up to the pool below the old logging dam's
remains it was quite dark. I kept casting but the fish had shut down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._0053Small.jpg

Crossing the river I followed the only fisherman's trail I came across
all day, back towards the parking lot. Probably walleye fishers
casting into the big pool had worn it down.

As I approached the side trail that went up towards the campground I
heard a high pitched sound a long way off. Kids? Dogs? Then the answer
came, maybe a hundred yards across the river from me.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...=jumpwolf2.flv

I listened until they quit. The microphone on the camera picked up the
middle registered howling best but there were also several higher
pitched howlers, probably pups, which didn't record at all, and a
lower pitched, softer howl that is only barely audible a few times.

If I had been with someone else I probably would have tried to howl
back after they finished. Supposedly you can get them to respond by
doing that. But as it was, I snapped on the LED headlamp and, looking
a bit more anxious I imagine than was justified, scuttled back to the
Subaru, jumped in, locked the doors and drove home.

I'm not a big fan of summer. But yesterday, with its fresh, north wind
and reasonable temps and humidity, was as good as it gets. And now
those wolves' howling will impress the day indelibly in my mind. I'll
carry the whole thing... bright summer day, big brassy fish, haunting
voices drifting through the dark trees... with me until the time
comes when I can remember nothing at all.

Experiences like this overwhelm me with a sense of gratitude.

g.c.
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"George Cleveland" wrote in message
[...]

Damn! Gotta paint this weekend and move the next.

Experiences like this overwhelm me with a sense of gratitude.

Looking forward to an opportunity to spread a bit of gratitude, myself.

Wolfgang

Old July 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:40:40 -0500, George Cleveland
wrote:

I listened until they quit.

Sounds very similar to a fisher cat that is in our woods.

Old July 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

wrote:

I listened until they quit.

Sounds very similar to a fisher cat that is in our woods.

Dave

The microphone on the little Canon A310 is pretty primitive. There
were defintely 3 and probably four individuals howling but the one
that overwhelmed the sound track was the one singing in the
high-middle part of the register.

At first I thought they might be coyotes but after a second or two it
became clear that this was different from any of the myriad coyote
choruses I've heard.

g.c.
Old July 7th, 2007, 02:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Cyli

wrote:

Did a little scouting today. I think I've found the next smallie Clave
campground. I just have to get a hold of the powers-that-be and see if
we can work something out.

Thanks, george. Must have been a great day for you.

BTW, there still isn't any record of a healthy wolf that wasn't being
fed by humans attacking any human being in the U.S. that I've heard
of. And I'm on some groups where the hysterical about wolves
sometimes post.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

[...]

I remember going on a two hour search to find the pack of cub scouts that
was making all the noise...it was wolves.

anyhow George...I'm most definitely in for that trip. I would propose a
motion to make it in the fall when the days are warm and the nights are
cool....them smallies go on a feeding binge in preparation for winter..

Heck, I'll even do the t-shirts.... something like "Guys with Smallies"

john

Old July 8th, 2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

wrote:

Did a little scouting today. I think I've found the next smallie Clave
campground. I just have to get a hold of the powers-that-be and see if
we can work something out.

Thanks, george. Must have been a great day for you.

BTW, there still isn't any record of a healthy wolf that wasn't being
fed by humans attacking any human being in the U.S. that I've heard
of. And I'm on some groups where the hysterical about wolves
sometimes post.

I wasn't really worried about being attacked per se. It was more of an
instincticve reaction (I think) to being so close to animals which are
much more physically powerful than I am. To carry the analogy to to an
absurd level, if you came upon a group of gods cavorting in a meadow
(And, no, I don't think of wolves as gods.), would your first response
be to yell "Heey Gods! Whats happenin'!!" or would it be to keep your
trap shut and slink away.

The fact that wolves could easily kill any human if they so chose and
the fact that they don't is something I find intriguing about them.

g.c.

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"George Cleveland" wrote in message

The fact that wolves could easily kill any human if they so chose and
the fact that they don't is something I find intriguing about them.

Humans could also kill any wolf if they chose to. Either way
(historically.....things have changed a bit in recent centuries) somebody in
the majority party was bound to get hurt and the return on investment would
typically be pretty low, I think. And it's no trifling coincidence that
both are highly social animals, neither of which would often be found alone
and defenseless by an overwhelming force of the others.

Wolves, as well as humans, must also be aware (at some level or other) that
there is a certain chemistry (literally, at the molecular level, and
somewhat more figuratively at the macro level) between the two species.
Again, it is no mere coincidence that "man's best friend" is descended from
the wolf. Much is hinted at by the fact that early humans and wolves had
much in common both in terms of capacities and life style, aside from the
already mentioned high degree of socialization. For example, both are/were
opportunistic and fairly omnivorous feeders despite being highly effective
hunters. Both scavenge and/or rely (and even thrive for relatively long
periods) on substandard fare. Neither is averse to robbing the other when
the situation allows it. Neither is unduly averse to the other's presence
so long as a certain respectful distance is maintain. Each is obviously
curious about the other. More importantly, there is an uncanny synchrony in
their cooperative hunting methods. Most importantly, perhaps, wolves (and
their domestic descendants) are the only animals on the planet that can keep
up with humans on the long haul. Twenty miles a day in rough country will
eventually kill the best horse....thirty will do the job quickly. But as
long as there is sufficient food and water a human in good condition can
keep up this pace indefinitely, and a long-legged young dog in good shape
will add half again the mileage in side trips and still be ready to romp
with the kids or chase squirrels at the end of the day.

Chemistry also goes a long ways toward explaining the flip side of the coin.
A particular molecule can be an agonist or an antagonist depending on
circumstances. There is a love between people and their dogs (and, one must
admit, cats) that resides somewhere deep within the old part of the
brain.....the part ruled by forces which predate higher cognitive
functions.....the part that even those of us undyingly loyal to the notion
of free will must concede is controlled purely by chemistry. But when
things go wrong the result is a deep and abiding hatred, often on both sides
(although humans are typically better haters), that knows no bounds. Wolves
are often accused (rather stupidly, by people who should learn something
about wolves.....and their native tongue) of being vicious and of being
wanton killers. Neither is true. But a domestic dog gone bad can be
both.....and humans, of course, are, rather more often than not.

Wolfgang

Wolves are smart

Old July 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Cyli

wrote:

if you came upon a group of gods cavorting in a meadow
(And, no, I don't think of wolves as gods.), would your first response
be to yell "Heey Gods! Whats happenin'!!" or would it be to keep your
trap shut and slink away.

I think I'd keep my mouth shut and watch in fascination from as good
cover as I could find without making myself an item of interest.
Especially if it were the Greek, Norse, or Egyptian gods.

Old July 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Are these alleged "gods" "cavorting" in _A_ meadow or _trespassing_ in
_MY_ meadow? And more importantly, are there nekkid gals with hot bods
involved?

The fact that wolves could easily kill any human if they so chose and
the fact that they don't is something I find intriguing about them.

Um, they could? But OK, assuming a wolf _could_ kill any human it
chose, why do you think _would_? Or do you find yourself intriguing for
not having run over myriad people in your automobile?

HTH,
....I think you'll find that, for most animals, it's a lot easier not to
kill than to kill, and under "normal" circumstances, it's only necessity
that causes them to do it...

g.c.