A fishing related question!

Old December 7th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Andy Lawson

Default A fishing related question!

Well.... just for a change on a fishing NG )

I've been out of coarse fishing for a number of years and just recently
started up again (last week in fact!).

I use a 12ft Normark Titan spliced tip for slow rivers such as the upper
Thames or smaller rivers but I could really do with a more powerful 13ft
waggler rod for larger rivers such as Wye and Usk. I would like another
Normark, but they're just too expensive right now. I've been looking at
adverts for Shimano, Daiwa, Drennan etc. around the £100 - £140 'ish. Anyone
recommend a particular rod?

Local tackle shops to me are small and have a limited choice. Nearly all
poles and carp gear.

Thanks in advance.
--
Andy Lawson

Old December 7th, 2004, 08:57 PM
UFO

Why use a float rod on a River?

I use on the Severn a Masterline Signature Barble rod
Very good rod, can handle and 10+ Barble with ease

Cost about £80 or less on ebay

Old December 7th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Andy Lawson

"UFO" wrote in message
Why use a float rod on a River?

I use on the Severn a Masterline Signature Barble rod
Very good rod, can handle and 10+ Barble with ease

Cost about £80 or less on ebay

Because I like to float fish for Dace and Chub.

I do have heavy feeder rods for when needed.
--
Andy Lawson

Old December 7th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Steve Walker

In message , UFO
writes
"Andy Lawson" wrote in message
Well.... just for a change on a fishing NG )

I've been out of coarse fishing for a number of years and just recently
started up again (last week in fact!).

I use a 12ft Normark Titan spliced tip for slow rivers such as the upper
Thames or smaller rivers but I could really do with a more powerful 13ft
waggler rod for larger rivers such as Wye and Usk. I would like another
Normark, but they're just too expensive right now. I've been looking at
adverts for Shimano, Daiwa, Drennan etc. around the £100 - £140 'ish.
Anyone recommend a particular rod?

Why use a float rod on a River?
I use on the Severn a Masterline Signature Barble rod
Very good rod, can handle and 10+ Barble with ease
Cost about £80 or less on ebay

Float fishing rivers is tremendous fun, and done skilfully will often
out-fish other methods. I used to fish the Severn a bit around
Ironbridge, and while the days when I caught the most fish were usually
on the feeder, the most enjoyable fishing was long trotting a wire
stemmed avon in a fast, shallow swim.

--
Steve Walker
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:49 PM
900ft

Can't remember the last time I had a good days float fishing on a river
(especially now the winter is here).
I have to follow the crowds to the commercials (with pole) to get a good day
in :-(

Nidd.

Old December 8th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Andy Lawson

"900ft" wrote in message
Can't remember the last time I had a good days float fishing on a river
(especially now the winter is here).
I have to follow the crowds to the commercials (with pole) to get a good
day in :-(

Nidd.

Float fishing rivers is tremendous fun, and done skilfully will often
out-fish other methods. I used to fish the Severn a bit around
Ironbridge, and while the days when I caught the most fish were usually
on the feeder, the most enjoyable fishing was long trotting a wire
stemmed avon in a fast, shallow swim.

--
Steve Walker

Well.... I was in Cardiff last week and fished the River Taff at Radyr. Only
fished for just over two hours in the afternoon with a friend and we had 30
plus Grayling between us. All on the float with some cracking fast bites. I
missed loads! I'm just so out of practice.

--
Andy Lawson

Old December 8th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Steve Walker

In message , Andy Lawson
writes

"900ft" wrote in message
Can't remember the last time I had a good days float fishing on a river
(especially now the winter is here).
I have to follow the crowds to the commercials (with pole) to get a good
day in :-(

Nidd.

Float fishing rivers is tremendous fun, and done skilfully will often
out-fish other methods. I used to fish the Severn a bit around
Ironbridge, and while the days when I caught the most fish were usually
on the feeder, the most enjoyable fishing was long trotting a wire
stemmed avon in a fast, shallow swim.

Well.... I was in Cardiff last week and fished the River Taff at Radyr. Only
fished for just over two hours in the afternoon with a friend and we had 30
plus Grayling between us. All on the float with some cracking fast bites. I
missed loads! I'm just so out of practice.

Now that's interesting... I was in Cardiff a month or two back for a
wedding, and was looking at the river with interest. I love grayling
fishing, although the only place I've fished for them is Taunton. Any
info on tickets, location, etc greatly appreciated!

--
Steve Walker
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Steve Walker

In message , 900ft
writes

Float fishing rivers is tremendous fun, and done skilfully will often
out-fish other methods. I used to fish the Severn a bit around Ironbridge,
and while the days when I caught the most fish were usually on the feeder,
the most enjoyable fishing was long trotting a wire stemmed avon in a
fast, shallow swim.

Can't remember the last time I had a good days float fishing on a river
(especially now the winter is here).

I actually prefer winter for fishing rivers on the float, once the weeds
have died back a bit.

I have to follow the crowds to the commercials (with pole) to get a good day
in :-(

Just not the same, is it? "Oooh, a bite, I wonder what species this will
be? Could it be.... a fat little carp?"

--
Steve Walker
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Andy Lawson

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In message , Andy Lawson
writes

"900ft" wrote in message
[...]

Gary Evans tackle shop, Whitchurch Road, Cardiff have day tickets @£4.00 per
day.

Have a chat with them in the shop and they'll tell you where to fish
depending on whether you want Grayling, Chub or Barbel

--
Andy Lawson

Old December 10th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Steve Walker

In message , Andy Lawson
writes

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

Well.... I was in Cardiff last week and fished the River Taff at Radyr.
Only
fished for just over two hours in the afternoon with a friend and we had
30
plus Grayling between us. All on the float with some cracking fast bites.
missed loads! I'm just so out of practice.

Now that's interesting... I was in Cardiff a month or two back for a
wedding, and was looking at the river with interest. I love grayling
fishing, although the only place I've fished for them is Taunton. Any info
on tickets, location, etc greatly appreciated!

Gary Evans tackle shop, Whitchurch Road, Cardiff have day tickets @£4.00 per
day.

Have a chat with them in the shop and they'll tell you where to fish
depending on whether you want Grayling, Chub or Barbel

Brilliant, thanks Andy. I fancied a few trips to Taunton for grayling
after Xmas, but Cardiff is nearer.

--
Steve Walker