3-piece 4-weight graphite rod

Old July 1st, 2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default 3-piece 4-weight graphite rod

ROFFers:

Do you know if any rod company makes a nice 3-piece 4-weight graphite
rod, 8-1/2 or 9 feet long? I just broke the Orvis Zephyr I've been
using for 27 years. I don't really want to switch to a four-piece
rod.

Thanks,

John in Denver

Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Lazarus Cooke

In article .com,
wrote:

ROFFers:

Do you know if any rod company makes a nice 3-piece 4-weight graphite
rod, 8-1/2 or 9 feet long? I just broke the Orvis Zephyr I've been
using for 27 years. I don't really want to switch to a four-piece
rod.

Hi john

I'm curious as to why you don't want a four-piece. I don't have any
(well one - one of the very first, a 9 foot Hardy Pall Mall Exclusive),
but people suggest that a 4-piece made today is at least as good as a
2-piece made, say , fifteen or twenty years ago.

any thoughts?

Lazarus

Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MichaelM

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
news:030720072235576339%lazaruscooke@britishlibrar y.invalid...
In article .com,
wrote:

ROFFers:

Do you know if any rod company makes a nice 3-piece 4-weight graphite
rod, 8-1/2 or 9 feet long? I just broke the Orvis Zephyr I've been
using for 27 years. I don't really want to switch to a four-piece
rod.

Hi john

I'm curious as to why you don't want a four-piece. I don't have any
(well one - one of the very first, a 9 foot Hardy Pall Mall Exclusive),
but people suggest that a 4-piece made today is at least as good as a
2-piece made, say , fifteen or twenty years ago.

any thoughts?

The modern multi section rods are in my opinion quite marvellous. I have as
my primary rod for my favourite stream a 5 piece 8 and a quarter foot #4
(Missionary) rod by Greys and I love it. I don't use many 2 piece rods as I
think that multi sectioned rods are really handy and they cast as good as my
ability (i.e. I am the limiting factor) I guess that we have the CNC type
precision in the joints of the rods that have enabled multisection blanks to
behave as well as they do. In virtually all my rods they are overslide
joints and they seem to be good. I have a Hardy Smuggler rod (9.5 foot #7
from 1990s) that has the spigot type joints, and they do look fragile
compared to overslide joints. In fact I broke a bit of the blank on the
Smuggler when I negligently allowed a section to come loose, and casted with
it in this condition. I had it repaired and have to check that the joints
are tight periodically to try to avoid a recurrence (one of only downsides
of multi section IMO) ~ Rod is still casting ok, but I always seem to be
thinking about the spigots when I cast with that rod... Overslide joints
just seem to be less worrisome, and I cast without nagging thoughts with
this type of joint.

Old July 4th, 2007, 01:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

this type of joint.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your replies, guys. I guess I'm laboring under the old
assumption that the more the joints in the fly rod, the worse the
action. I thought the three-piece fly rod was the perfect compromise,
but I just cast a four-piece Winston Boron IIt rod that was great. A
little pricey, and I was surprised that it was about the same weight
(in ounces, not line weight) as the Orvis Zephyr that I bought 27?
years ago. I wonder if the Winston would have the same longevity.

I have to admit that it's really fun to be shopping for a new rod
after all this time with my steady gal.

Thanks,

John

Old July 4th, 2007, 03:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for your replies, guys. I guess I'm laboring under the old
assumption that the more the joints in the fly rod, the worse the
action....

Well, the joints MUST be considered the weak points.....whether in strictly
physical terms or by other criteria......else, why not build a 53 piece rod,
eh?

Wolfgang
who can hardly wait for his first 11 bladed razor!

Old July 4th, 2007, 06:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Cyli

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 20:28:19 -0600, "Wolfgang"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

Thanks for your replies, guys. I guess I'm laboring under the old
assumption that the more the joints in the fly rod, the worse the
action....

Well, the joints MUST be considered the weak points.....whether in strictly
physical terms or by other criteria......else, why not build a 53 piece rod,
eh?

Because nobody would have the time, energy, or even ability to
remember which piece went where? Unless they had an elastic thread
down the center, like tent poles. That'd work. And then if the rod
fell apart midstream, you'd just snap it back into shape. Yeah.

--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jcoleman

wrote:

[...]

John,

If you are under cost constraints, another good place to look is ebay.
Back in the days of my laziness and unemployment, I needed a smaller
stream rod. I bought a nice IM-6 rod handmade by a guy I met on ebay.
It was a 7'6" 4 piece, came with a case, and he even engraved my
initials on the bottom of the blank. It's a great little rod
(especially for the money) - and even now that I have several other
Winstons and Sages, I still break the little guy out when I hit the
small creeks in the rockies.

Don't overlook the homemades - you won't get the big name (or the
lifetime warranty) - but you can get a good rod at a great price.

jc