Terrorists on ROFF?

Old October 13th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Cyli

Default Terrorists on ROFF?

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:06:57 +0100, "riverman"
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/4xmnh

What do you guys think: would it be possible for an AlQueda type to pass
info on ROFF without being noticed? It seems to me that just about every
Usenet site that I know of has its 'residents' who would notice newbies
having conversations on the side. Its only anonymous to those who aren't
there.

--riverman

Trolls. SPAMmers. Both drop in on newsgroups everywhere and are
seldom paid much attention unless they hang around and self justify.

However, chat rooms are more reasonable for instant communication and
Web pages and binaries much more reasonable for passing on longer term
stuff. I've only ever examined any chat rooms briefly and at loooong
intervals (every few years is more than enough for me), but they allow
reasonable privacy. I don't know if the persons running the channel
can see when new users drop in, but they could go right into more of
the "Hey, any gurlz on here 2nite?" crap and all that and drive almost
any drop in visitor away.

I play one game on Yahoo that has an attached chat part. I turn it
off as soon as the game's entirely loaded, but catch some of it. Gag.
It wouldn't take much in way of disguise for a few people to be on
there and act as if they're talking up a favorite band, perhaps named
"Fear and Death", and asking what its tour stops will be. One could
pop in cities, dates, times, and even locations. "Yeah, they'll be in
Boston on the 28th. That club down on the corner of 1st street and
15th avenue. Afternoon for the kiddie concert. 3pm for the warm up
band, "Destruction Zone" and then the main act at 4pm." Of course
they'd have to get up on chat room English variants, which I'm not, in
spite of the small example above, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Luckily, the terrorists seem to be short on imagination. There are so
many awful things they could do so easily that they've not yet done.
Or else I have a very vivid imagination and more paranoia than a group
with Rumsfeld and Ashcroft and 40 neocons and Vince Foster's killer
combined.

PS: the part about Foster's killer is fiction. I, in the small
amount of time I considered it, do believe he offed himself. Maybe
not where he was found, though...

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Old October 13th, 2004, 05:53 PM
George Adams

From: Cyli

Luckily, the terrorists seem to be short on imagination. There are so
many awful things they could do so easily that they've not yet done.
Or else I have a very vivid imagination and more paranoia than a group
with Rumsfeld and Ashcroft and 40 neocons and Vince Foster's killer
combined.

We must be on the same wavelength. I have thought of a number of relatively low
cost/low tech activities that would strike fear into the heart of most
Americans, but thankfully the terrorists have not. I thought we had one going a
while back, buy it turned out to be home grown whackos.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old October 13th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , George Adams

From: Cyli

Luckily, the terrorists seem to be short on imagination. There are so
many awful things they could do so easily that they've not yet done.
Or else I have a very vivid imagination and more paranoia than a group
with Rumsfeld and Ashcroft and 40 neocons and Vince Foster's killer
combined.

We must be on the same wavelength. I have thought of a number of relatively
low
cost/low tech activities that would strike fear into the heart of most
Americans, but thankfully the terrorists have not. I thought we had one going
while back, buy it turned out to be home grown whackos.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream
of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

I must say that, as someone who grew up, and then brought up two
children, in a city where I'd hear machine-gun fire each evening , and
that was constantly being bombed by terrorists (many funded from New
York and Boston) I am utterly terrified by the current obsession with
terrorists in the US.

How many of you have ever seen a terrorist bomb go off? Or seen anyone
shot or killed in a terrorist incident? (I've seen lots and lots and
lots).

How many of you have known someone who was killed in a road accident?

Get a life guys, stop being paranoid, and killing innocent people with
your paranoia.

Go fishing.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Larry L

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote

Get a life guys, stop being paranoid, and killing innocent people with
your paranoia.

Go fishing.

Lazarus

Thank you and I mean that sincerely .... this country is so paranoid it is
it's own worst enemy

Old October 14th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Tom Littleton

Lazarus writes:
I am utterly terrified by the current obsession with
terrorists in the US.

I agree. In our worst year, most Americans were more likely to be struck by
lightning.
What you may or may not see is that here in the US, a combination of the mass
media and our own elected officials have fanned the paranoia to this level for
their own selfish purposes(ie: monetary gain, and staying in office). Although
fortunate not to have encountered such surroundings, I have spoken, fished and
spent time with quite a few who grew up in the Middle East and Northern
Ireland. I look at my own nation and realize we are weak, soft people at times.
Tom

Old October 14th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Willi & Sue

Tom Littleton wrote:

Lazarus writes:

I am utterly terrified by the current obsession with
terrorists in the US.

I agree. In our worst year, most Americans were more likely to be struck by
lightning.
What you may or may not see is that here in the US, a combination of the mass
media and our own elected officials have fanned the paranoia to this level for
their own selfish purposes(ie: monetary gain, and staying in office). Although
fortunate not to have encountered such surroundings, I have spoken, fished and
spent time with quite a few who grew up in the Middle East and Northern
Ireland. I look at my own nation and realize we are weak, soft people at times.
Tom

I have trouble with you labeling people as soft and weak because they live
with peace. If that's true, I think I'll take soft and weak.

Willi