Loch Coruisk

Old April 29th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Swith

Default Loch Coruisk

I'm hoping to get up to Loch Coruisk on Skye in June for a couple of days.
Has anyone fished it? Any fly or technique recommendations? I am very new
to fly fishing so any tips are welcome to help with this remote water. I
know it has some good trout in - I caught a couple with a worm when I was a
lot younger...but now I've converted want to try the "proper" way. Also:
does anyone know where I can get a ticket for the water?

Also: I will need to get some new and appropriate flies at least. Does
anyone know a good on-line shop, preferably with someone sensible I could
email to help get the right kit. ie who will really help me to buy the
right stuff not just dump a load of remaindered stock.

Thanks.

Swithun

Old April 30th, 2004, 02:59 PM
riverman

"Swith" wrote in message
I'm hoping to get up to Loch Coruisk on Skye in June for a couple of days.
Has anyone fished it? Any fly or technique recommendations? I am very

new
to fly fishing so any tips are welcome to help with this remote water. I
know it has some good trout in - I caught a couple with a worm when I was

lot younger...but now I've converted want to try the "proper" way. Also:
does anyone know where I can get a ticket for the water?

Also: I will need to get some new and appropriate flies at least. Does
anyone know a good on-line shop, preferably with someone sensible I could
email to help get the right kit. ie who will really help me to buy the
right stuff not just dump a load of remaindered stock.

Don't know the answers to your questions, but being a newbie, let me offer
some universal good advice. The proper flies to use change pretty regularly,
with changing hatches, changing weather and water levels, so its really hard
to get them online beforehand. Your best bet is to bring your rod and gear,
some universal flies (upwing dries, wooly buggers, GRHEs) and find a local
fly shop. Your top priority should be to hire a local guide (ghillie, in
your parts, I believe). Your next priority would be to pick their brains
about what you need for where you are going that week (if they start
recommending more than one or two flies, they're trying to sell you the
store. Buy about 15 flies in two or three patterns).

Be sure to stop by the shop afterwards and tell them how you did, what
worked and what didn't work, and what you saw hatching. These guys are the
main source of info, and the more they have, the more they can share.

Good luck!

--riverman

Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:31 PM
Swith

Thanks - and all true of course...I'd like to find someone who has fished
there before too if possible. However, I'm struggling there a tad. So, I
may up staying at the Tomdoun Hotel at Glen Garry and hiring Ghillie to go
onto some of their waters. I think it might be a bit too hit and miss
otherwise.

Cheers.