About that portable generator thingy.....

Old January 12th, 2011, 12:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default About that portable generator thingy.....

Not much of an adventurer myself.....never really have been. But I've
spent a lot of time outdoors in places where one inevitably discovers
that, willy nilly, adventures happen. "Adventure" it should be
remembered, is the past tense of calamity, disaster, serious pain in
the ass, discomfort, injury, illness, terror, deprivation, sweat,
tears, and blood.....and poison ivy, just to keep things lively.

As a breathing (which is to say, still aging) non-adventurer, I can
appreciate the allure of the comforts of home.....regardless of where
I may be at any given moment. And, yes, I would gladly accept such
comforts wherever I might be at any given moment.....well.....

Seeking out the places where angels fear to tread seems to me to imply
a certain willingness to forego some of the simple pleasures.....like
satelliteT.V., microwave ovens, hot and cold running water, freshly
filtered and frozen ice, connectivity.....even (heaven forefend!)
moment by moment updates from and to ROFF!.....or used to, anyway.

Yes, I DO drive an internal cumbustion engined automoblie to most of
the waters I fish.....or did, anyway.....but I balk at insisting on a
legal and/or moral right to continue driving in the stream. Easy
enough for me, though.....I have never mastered the art of casting
through the driver's side window. Might be different if I had my own
solar powered mega-death-mobile from the windows of which I could
harangue some poor dumb sonafabitch who had the temerity to use his
cell phone in the stream.

As I continue to breath, which is to say, to age, I hope I will
continue to possess.....or at least to learn.....the simple civility
and basic sense to do what *I* can do.....and leave the rest to those
who can do it without a ****ing nuclear reactor in each ****ing
pocket.

giles
who, in all fairness, has to admit that he thought a "honda generator"
was a smallish nation is eastern asia.

Old January 12th, 2011, 03:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jan 11, 4:09*pm, Giles wrote:
[...]

So AC would be a no-no too right?
;+))
Actually I agree with you if I were camping. But basically what I have
is a tin cabin and i want to do longer stays. Lights are nice as is a
heater, both of which require juice. Fires are anethma for much of the
year in wheat country. Ive never been able to burn outside and gas or
kero lanterns in a camper are not a good idea. What it comes down to
is triple aaa headlamps, or a 12v marine, and the ability to recharge
after 2-3 days. Solar can do it at a price and I already use a tiny
bit and will use more. But this time of year a little generator would
be welcome, although double bagging it helps and chipping the ice off
the beard in the AM doesn't take that much time.

Old January 12th, 2011, 06:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

On Jan 11, 7:05*pm, DaveS wrote:
On Jan 11, 4:09*pm, Giles wrote:

[...]

Dave

Dave,
Though you have had considerable input solar, I haven't seen much
input wind power. Given that your place is located near a huge
wind farm, that option should be well worth looking into. There are
numerous small scale wind generator setups now available, and I
believe you can even find plans on the web for DIY (all except the
generator itself) wind turbines.

Bob Weinberger
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jan 11, 10:11*pm, Bob wrote:

Dave,
Though you have had considerable input solar, I haven't seen much
input wind power. Given that your place is located near a huge
wind farm, that option should be well worth looking into. There are
numerous small scale wind generator setups now available, and I
believe you can even find plans on the web for DIY (all except the
generator itself) wind turbines.

Bob Weinberger- Hide quoted text -
-

I did look into wind a year ago or so. And where i am is down from a
gap to the West of me venturi effect. However, consensus seems to be
that negs are 1. more moving parts and maintenance than solar.2. you
still need a connection w/ the grid or a gen-set, 3. need a fairly
large battery bank to store a useful head of power. I was surprised
that there was more stuff available than a few years back, but mostly
you were on your own piecing together a system at this point in time.
And i suck at electricity as you can probably guess from the questions
Ive been asking in these threads.:+))

Are you doing any fishing lately?

Old January 14th, 2011, 01:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark Allread

Just tossing in my two cents worth.
As an amateur radio operator (no longer "active") I used a tiny and very
quiet Honda 300 watt gasoline generator with a 12v output, charging a
marine battery which in turn powered a 120vac inverter rated at 600 watts.

I bought the generator from another "Ham" who had bought it in Japan
while employed by the US in a military-related capacity.

As long as my peak power demands were less than about 500 watts, and not
constant, the little generator kept things going nicely. If the
generator ran out of gas, the battery kept the inverter going long
enough for me to walk out and refuel the "system."

It all worked pretty well, surprisingly.

In fact, I've done a similar thing with a gasoline generator powering a
12v battery charger, maintaining a battery providing power for a 1,000
watt inverter.

It wasn't efficient, but it worked.

I'd guess one could replace the generator with a sufficiently large
solar/wind supply to charge the battery.

Old January 14th, 2011, 07:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

On Jan 13, 12:37*pm, DaveS wrote:

Are you doing any fishing lately?

Dave

Not really. After 7 decades of heaping abuse on this body, I've become
pretty much a fair weather fisherman. Also, I haven't figured out
this salt water flyfishing thing.

Bob Weinberger

Old January 14th, 2011, 11:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Steve W.

Bob wrote:
On Jan 13, 12:37 pm, DaveS wrote:

Are you doing any fishing lately?

Dave

Not really. After 7 decades of heaping abuse on this body, I've become
pretty much a fair weather fisherman. Also, I haven't figured out
this salt water flyfishing thing.

Bob Weinberger

The only question I have about Sal****er fishing is, IF you use salted
minnows in freshwater fishing do you need to use freshwater minnows for
salt water fishing???

I think the method used by Micheal J. "Crocodile" Dundee looks
interesting....
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jan 13, 11:26*pm, Bob wrote:
On Jan 13, 12:37*pm, DaveS wrote:

Are you doing any fishing lately?

Dave

Not really. After 7 decades of heaping abuse on this body, I've become
pretty much a fair weather fisherman. *Also, I haven't figured out
this salt water flyfishing thing.

Bob Weinberger

We should get together over in Dayton. Smaller rivers than you are
used to but lots of lower impact access. Per the salt I have been and
still am a neophyte. Except for the catch as catch can stuff around
the island for cutts and the rare Silver. Suggest you plug into this
blog on the Tacoma Trib web site and read back a year or two. Good pix
and realism as to what's out there. Good article a few issues back in
Northwest Flyfishing mag also.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/fish/page/2/