New England School Bluefin with long(er) sticks?

Old November 10th, 2003, 07:55 PM
News

Default New England School Bluefin with long(er) sticks?

My brother and I got caught up with this "Football" fishing thing and so we
got ourselves a pair of 7' Penn power sticks mated with a pair of 9500 SS.
We managed to see some huge pods on three trips but never hooked up. Now
with the boat out of the water, I'm looking at lines, different lures,
techniques, and I was wondering . . . have any of you had any luck fishing
with school blue fin with LONG surf casting rods? Will it work? I think
being able to cast 20 yards further would give a huge advantage but I wonder
if any surf casting rod can hold up to a "tuna run". How long would you go?
9? 11? Which brand? Or should I stick with the 7's. . .

I'm also sorting through and making my lures. I read an article regarding
poppers for schoolies so I just got re-hooking several poppers. Do any of
you have any favorite lures for these schoolies?

still waiting for my first one!

Old November 10th, 2003, 08:57 PM
David H. Lipman

As a NJ surf fisherman who uses a 12' ultralight graphite, it makes no sense to me why you
would want to use a long rod from a boat. When you are off a boat there is no need to cast
a couple hundred yards. It seems to me that a good stiff boat rod would serve you better. 6
~ 7'.

Personally I like heavy metal spoons. You might want to try a 2oz. Lure Jensen Crocodile or
the cheaper Gator. Maybe a Crippled Herring lure.

Dave

PS: It is NOT a good idea to post your true, unmunged, email address in UseNet News
Groups.
The Swen worm specifically and spammers in general harvest email addresses from UseNet News
Groups.
Don't be surprised if you start receiving email messages purporting to be from Microsoft and
providing a "patch". This would be the Swen worm masquerading as a Microsoft email with the
Swen worm laden attachment.
DHL

Old November 11th, 2003, 01:46 AM
Calif Bill

I use a 9' stick for casting iron for Yellow Tail and tuna in SoCal. Allows
you to throw an aluminum jog a long ways and then wind it back on the
surface past those fish out there for a distance. Shorter rod for tossign
live bait.

Old November 12th, 2003, 07:31 AM
JML

9' feels right. There were a few times where the "pod" was moving in on the
boat and I really felt that if I could toss it out 30 more yards, I could
have 4 or 5 good casts at it rather than 2 or 3. Also, a longer cast would
mean a more time to work the lure back to the boat . . .

Which 9' do you use?

11/10/03 7:46 PM