Fly line recommendation

Old May 6th, 2004, 11:54 AM
riverman

Default Fly line recommendation

OK, as if this hasn't been all hashed out here before..but I think its time
to modify my fly line on my smaller rod, and I'd like a recommendation of
some lines to look at. I'm just getting to where I believe that different
lines might actually make a noticable difference. Call me a reformed cynic.

The rod is Hardy Gem Smuggler 5 piece-4 weight, is 8'5, quite soft, and I
use it in diverse conditions (open casting, and also with covering brush). I
don't like to cast it tremendously far out, as I can't seem to get a good
delivery, so I'd want something that loaded up pretty quick for intermediate
(30-40 foot) casts. I store my line on a small arbor reel, and all my
scientific angler Air Cel lines have developed memories that I cannot seem
to stretch out, so I want a line with a good reputation for no memory. I
usually fish dries, so a high-floating line is preferred. I only fish it in
freshwater, usually for trout or greyling.

People have suggested that I try to find something in a WF with a short tip
and short front taper, a short fat belly, and a long rear taper (sounds like
a personals ad...) Can anyone recommend a good product, or is this such a
trivial question that its worthless? So far, I've thought about a SA
Headstart, but that seems like its a bit of a beginner's line (whatever that
means). Another option is a SA Ultra4, but again, I've had bad luck with SA
and memory, so I think I want to change brands. Any suggestions?

TIA
--riverman

Old May 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Tim J.

"riverman" wrote...
OK, as if this hasn't been all hashed out here before..but I think its time
to modify my fly line on my smaller rod, and I'd like a recommendation of
some lines to look at. I'm just getting to where I believe that different
lines might actually make a noticable difference. Call me a reformed cynic.

The rod is Hardy Gem Smuggler 5 piece-4 weight, is 8'5, quite soft, and I
use it in diverse conditions (open casting, and also with covering brush). I
don't like to cast it tremendously far out, as I can't seem to get a good
delivery, so I'd want something that loaded up pretty quick for intermediate
(30-40 foot) casts.

I'll defer to the old timers (anyone who has fly fished longer than me), but on
my softer rod, I prefer a DT over the WF. I found it really difficult to roll
cast with a soft rod and a WF.

I store my line on a small arbor reel, and all my
scientific angler Air Cel lines have developed memories that I cannot seem
to stretch out, so I want a line with a good reputation for no memory.

At the end of each season, I take my line off of the reel, dress it (if
necessary), and wrap it in larger coils. I've found storing it on a small arbor
reel will make the line act like a watch spring. My second season, I had to
replace two lines because of this.

I usually fish dries, so a high-floating line is preferred. I only fish it in
freshwater, usually for trout or greyling.

People have suggested that I try to find something in a WF with a short tip
and short front taper, a short fat belly, and a long rear taper (sounds like
a personals ad...) Can anyone recommend a good product, or is this such a
trivial question that its worthless? So far, I've thought about a SA
Headstart, but that seems like its a bit of a beginner's line (whatever that
means). Another option is a SA Ultra4, but again, I've had bad luck with SA
and memory, so I think I want to change brands. Any suggestions?

So far, my favorite has been the Cortland 444 LaserLine. I've got one that's on
its third season and still going strong.
--
TL,
Tim

Old May 6th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Charlie Choc

On Thu, 6 May 2004 11:54:49 +0100, "riverman"
wrote:

Any suggestions?

I like the Wulff TT line for my 4wt. I've heard a lot of good things
about the Sage Quiet Taper and will probably give that a try the next
2, 3 or 4wt line I buy.
--
Charlie...
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Willi and Sue

wrote:

Any suggestions?

I like the Wulff TT line for my 4wt. I've heard a lot of good things
about the Sage Quiet Taper and will probably give that a try the next
2, 3 or 4wt line I buy.

The Sage Quiet Taper is a speciality line. It has a longer front taper
and an overall thinner profile than a conventional line. However,
because of this thinner profile it is going to be more dense and not
float as well as a conventional line. Good for delicate presentations
but probably not so good as a day to day line. If you desire a delicate
presentation but are willing to sacrifice floatation, you can get a
Dorber line for $12.

Willi

Old May 6th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Mike Connor

"riverman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I would go for a Cortland 444 DT, and only use half the line. ( Just cut it
in the middle).Fill the reel up with backing. There is no point in
overlining a soft rod, so I would use the rated line.

The trick is, to wind the half line on, put the backing on, until the spool
is nearly full, and then reverse the whole lot. This ensures optimal
retrieval rates, and also prevents the line being wound into small coils.
Never had a problem with memory on Cortland lines.

Keep the other half of the line in reserve, packed in loose coils in the
original packaging. This should last you quite a few years.

WF line wont do you much good, as you will never even see the running line
under the circumstances you describe, and distance casting with a soft rod
is also pointless.

TL
MC

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Roger Ohlund

"riverman" wrote in message
[...]

Myron,

"Guideline Presentation" fits the description of your requirements.
I'll fix you up with one should you be interested but unable to find it in a
shop somewhere, you can use PayPal or something to transfer money.
Read about it on the Guideline web page http://www.guidelineflyfish.com/
I'm very satisfied with these lines and use the "Professional", "Tri Cast"
and the "Presentation" myself.
I know Fred is using the "Pounch Pro" line and none of us has had any
problem with line memory or bad coating.
Also, it floats exceptionally well.
Fred is here right now and sends his regards.

/Roger

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

riverman wrote:

[...]

Im using the Rio Grand (WF) on all my rods (Powell Tiboron). This rod is
reasonably fast and so
far I havent found any other lines that load it well except for a tri-taper.
Only drawback on the
Grand is that the builtin loop has been breaking on me, so now I replace it
with a braided loop
before using the line.

Old May 7th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Jarmo Hurri

riverman The rod is Hardy Gem Smuggler 5 piece-4 weight, is 8'5,
riverman quite soft, and I use it in diverse conditions (open
riverman casting, and also with covering brush). I don't like to cast
riverman it tremendously far out, as I can't seem to get a good
riverman delivery, so I'd want something that loaded up pretty quick
riverman for intermediate (30-40 foot) casts. I store my line on a
riverman small arbor reel, and all my scientific angler Air Cel lines
riverman have developed memories that I cannot seem to stretch out,
riverman so I want a line with a good reputation for no memory. I
riverman usually fish dries, so a high-floating line is preferred. I
riverman only fish it in freshwater, usually for trout or greyling.

I use a Scientific Anglers XPS on both my 4wt and 2wt and like it
quite a bit. Their website says that the line has "the lowest memory
of any Mastery Series line" - personally I haven't noticed any memory
in the line.

IIRC, the line has a long, delicate front taper, but I don't think
this should really be a problem, since the Smuggler has a soft action.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:42 PM
riverman

"Roger Ohlund" wrote in message

Myron,

"Guideline Presentation" fits the description of your requirements.
I'll fix you up with one should you be interested but unable to find it in

shop somewhere, you can use PayPal or something to transfer money.
Read about it on the Guideline web page http://www.guidelineflyfish.com/

Thanks for the website link, Roger, but have you forgotten that I don't
speak Norwegian?

I'll research some more, and if I decide to go with the Guideline, you can
pick it up and I'll reimburse you at the Lapland Clave. I'm familiar with
Guideline products, as my 8wt fly rod (which I am bringing this year) is a
Guideline Pro.

Hello to Fred, tell him we are going to slay them this year! I'm ready to go
for size instead of numbers this time.

Old May 7th, 2004, 07:17 PM
brians

Jarmo Hurri wrote:

[...]

Ditto, I have the XPS on my 2wt. I like it a lot. Memory is not an
issue, and I use a very small arbor reel. I bought the new SA Trout line
for my 4wt, but have yet to try it. It's built on the same core as the
XPS, so it should have little memory. Another good option(IMHO)is,
Cortland's 444 Peach. Very little memory, and handles really well.

brians