What's amazing is...

Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

Default What's amazing is...

the number of lurkers who show up begging Mike C. for assistance. Why is it
that none of these so-called lurkers could not have asked their most
pressing questions before Mike C's umpteenth return? I mean, if these folks
have lurked for so long, they know who they don't want responses from and
who might be helpful to them. It's a simple matter of blocking out the
people that you don't want to read and reading those whose posts mean
something to them.

I know, kill-files are for pussies. But I are one; so, I use my filtering
system for my benefit and no one else's. I couldn't care two hoots in hell
about what anyone thinks about the use of kill-files. I find that I am
easily exasperated by some folks, so it's best if I don't see them.
Blocking devises make it easy for me.

One can basically have the NG of their choosing, by employing filters. So
the lurkers argument that they don't post because they don't want to get
attacked is bull****! Anyone, including all of these new found lurkers, get
out of this NG what they are willing to put into it. No more, no less.

Also, why are these folks lurking here, when they could be participating in
one of those sterile web-forums? I know I don't hang out at the web-forums
just waiting for a chance to jump in and tell them how unsatisfying their
discussions are, so why do we have these folks who are just hanging around
with nothing to say? It's really kind of strange.

If it truly is the case that no one here knows **** from shinola about fly
fishing, except Mike C., why haven't Mike C. and his cadre of followers
simply set up house over at alt.flyfishing? Really, it's there for the
taking. No one seems to be using it, except for the occasional post from
T-Bone. I'm sure that alt.flyfishing would be tickled to death to receive
some attention. Who knows, alt.flyfishing could become the premier fly
fishing discussion medium on the internet, if Mike C. and his posse would
just utilize it.

Op

Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:44:05 -0400, "Opus" wrote:

[...]

Would that be a "Posse of One"? Aside from a sock or two, I'm not sure there
are enough members of the "posse" to play a game of Killer Hearts, never mind
Bridge...

/daytripper (is there anything more useless than a pure lurker? ;-)
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

bla bla snip snip
opus is a fly faggot...................................

Old March 24th, 2007, 07:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
J the Trout

"Opus" wrote in message
[...]

As a self confessed lurker, I take the view that I will only contribute when
I have someting useful to say - unlike the "usual suspects". I suspect that
they simply like the sound of their own voice (or the on-line equivalent).

Also, if you look back through this group, you will see many occasions where
newbies, or others, have asked sensible questions, only to be derided or
insulted, again, by the "usual suspects".

I do contribute to other forums where I know that constructive information
is accepted, even if it's queried or discussed, it's done in a civilised
manner.

Old March 24th, 2007, 11:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

anonymous wrote in message ...
bla bla snip snip opus is a fly faggot...................................

as I stated to your juvenile post on ROFFT, nice to
see mommy let you use the computer. Now, run along.
Tom

Old March 24th, 2007, 11:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"J the Trout" wrote in message
As a self confessed lurker, I take the view that I will only contribute
when I have someting useful to say - unlike the "usual suspects". I
suspect that they simply like the sound of their own voice (or the on-line
equivalent).

perhaps you are being harsh on yourself. Banter, in and of itself, might
prove useful. Identifying yourself and not being anonymous will give you a
bit of credibility, as well.
Bottom line: Usenet is what it is, and some like it, some do not. No one is
forcing you to post, or even read here.
If you like the format, or even can merely tolerate it, feel free to
participate and perhaps, you might be surprised.
Tom

Old March 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"J the Trout" wrote in message

As a self confessed lurker, I take the view that I will only contribute
when I have someting useful to say - unlike the "usual suspects". I
suspect that they simply like the sound of their own voice (or the on-line
equivalent).

I can't recall ever having seen a post or reply from a "J the Trout," until
Mike Cs latest return to ROFF. "As a self confessed lurker," have you never
had anything *useful* to say or contribute before Mike's most recent return?
Defending Mike's honor doesn't constitute a useful contribution to fly
fishing, as far as I can tell. I suspect that Mike posted his disdain for
ROFF to several of the forums that he frequents and his pal decided to come
to his aide. Mike is big on recruiting supporters, when he has gotten
himself into another virtual fracas.

Quite a few of us "usual suspects" are not fanatical fishers, and we simply
like to fly fishing for its many attributes beyond the technical realm.
Therefore, we have come to enjoy and tolerate ROFF for what it is, and not
expect it to become some utopian fly fishers dream. It is possible for two
or more mutually exclusive cliques to associate in one NG wihout ever
interacting with one another. If you lurkers, Mike C., and all of the past
regulars that have been "run off" got together and made a list of offensive
ROFFians and then filter them, you could retake ROFF and make it into
whatever you want it to be.

Also, if you look back through this group, you will see many occasions
where newbies, or others, have asked sensible questions, only to be
derided or insulted, again, by the "usual suspects".

As someone who has been a regular at ROFF since 2000, I can say that the
above is an over simplification of one reasons that folks don't stick around
ROFF for an extended period of time. The majority of us regulars were
*newbies* at one time. People come and go for various reasons, one of which
might be that they couldn't deal with controversy or particular ROFFians.
Some people like others to tell them how they should *properly* fly fish,
others like mysef, don't necessarily care to be, or need to be, told how we
should fly fish.

Please, answer me this: Why do you lurk, if ROFF is so distasteful to you?

I do contribute to other forums where I know that constructive information
is accepted, even if it's queried or discussed, it's done in a civilised
manner.

And the same is true of ROFF. Join in, block those ROFFians you find to be
instigators of trouble and see what happens. Yes, a find discussion on the
merits of knots, leader lenghts, rods and reels, casting techniques, and a
plethora of other topics will degrade; sometime in very short order, but you
will also find that varied opinions lead to much useful information
concerning fly fishing. You will also have those who are bombastic in
nature and who declare themselves to be the true arbiters of fly fishing.
Those are the people I can't take, so I block them. No harm, no foul.

Op

Old March 24th, 2007, 12:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mar 24, 1:10 pm, "Opus" wrote:

I can't recall ever having seen a post or reply from a "J the Trout," until
Mike Cs latest return to ROFF. "As a self confessed lurker," have you never
had anything *useful* to say or contribute before Mike's most recent return?
Defending Mike's honor doesn't constitute a useful contribution to fly
fishing, as far as I can tell. I suspect that Mike posted his disdain for
ROFF to several of the forums that he frequents and his pal decided to come
to his aide. Mike is big on recruiting supporters, when he has gotten
himself into another virtual fracas.

I do not require supporters, nor have I ever attempted to recruit any
on other boards.

You fit in well here, nothing sensible to say, so you fabricate
bull****.

It really is a shame I will never meet some of you arseholes, as I
would take very great pleasure in punching your lights out.

MC

Old March 24th, 2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
J the Trout

"Tom Littleton" wrote in message

"J the Trout" wrote in message
As a self confessed lurker, I take the view that I will only contribute
when I have someting useful to say - unlike the "usual suspects". I
suspect that they simply like the sound of their own voice (or the
on-line equivalent).

perhaps you are being harsh on yourself. Banter, in and of itself, might
prove useful. Identifying yourself and not being anonymous will give you a
bit of credibility, as well.
Bottom line: Usenet is what it is, and some like it, some do not. No one
is forcing you to post, or even read here.
If you like the format, or even can merely tolerate it, feel free to
participate and perhaps, you might be surprised.
Tom

Tom,

"Banter" appears in many other forums, and I am very comfortable with that,
but I feel that it goes over the top on too many occasions here. It does
appear that this thread has brought out a few lurkers, like myself, who, I
guess, would probably agree with me.

Old March 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
J the Trout

"Opus" wrote in message

"J the Trout" wrote in message

As a self confessed lurker, I take the view that I will only contribute
when I have someting useful to say - unlike the "usual suspects". I
suspect that they simply like the sound of their own voice (or the
on-line equivalent).

I can't recall ever having seen a post or reply from a "J the Trout,"
until Mike Cs latest return to ROFF. "As a self confessed lurker," have
you never had anything *useful* to say or contribute before Mike's most
recent return?

On VERY odd occasions over several years. This for a couple of other
reasons e.g. I live in the UK so, often, techniques, equipment etc. are
different to the majority of posters here. Also, getting your name on this
group seems to automatically generate loads of spam. I really don't need an
American mortgage, (who does?) or other pharmaceuticals. I suppose I will
get them now!

Defending Mike's honor doesn't constitute a useful contribution to fly
fishing, as far as I can tell. I suspect that Mike posted his disdain for
ROFF to several of the forums that he frequents and his pal decided to
come to his aide. Mike is big on recruiting supporters, when he has
gotten himself into another virtual fracas.

No recruiting here. No defending honour either. I don't know the guy, but
I can understand a logical argument and support it.

[...]

I did point out in a previous post in this thread that I have been on the
cusp of deleting it for some time. I have hung on in the hope of gleaning a
bit of useful information from time to time.

I do contribute to other forums where I know that constructive
information is accepted, even if it's queried or discussed, it's done in
a civilised manner.

And the same is true of ROFF. Join in, block those ROFFians you find to
be instigators of trouble and see what happens. Yes, a find discussion on
the merits of knots, leader lenghts, rods and reels, casting techniques,
and a plethora of other topics will degrade; sometime in very short order,
but you will also find that varied opinions lead to much useful
information concerning fly fishing. You will also have those who are
bombastic in nature and who declare themselves to be the true arbiters of
fly fishing. Those are the people I can't take, so I block them. No harm,
no foul.

I take your point. It's refreshing to see that some points of view can be
expressed without losing it.

Op