Hackle gauge

Old November 16th, 2004, 02:07 AM
vincent p. norris

Default Hackle gauge

Hackle tips must extend past the gape on just about every dry fly I've ever tied.

After fly filshing for about 75 years (no exaggeration!), George
Harvey started tying his dry flies with hackle a couple of sizes too
SMALL! E.g., using #18 hackle on a #14 fly. Said it works great!

vince

Old November 30th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Ernie

I bought a nice flexible plastic one for a buck at Hook & Hackle.
Ernie

"Bill C" wrote in message
. net...
Does anyone know where I can find a printable copy of a hackle gauge.

Thanks
Bill

Old November 30th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Jarmo Hurri

Bill Does anyone know where I can find a printable copy of a hackle
Bill gauge.

Try the bottom of the page at

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/

(That's the address of the page during this week - next week you can
find it behind the link "Previous flies".)

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:16 PM
Norman Greenwood

Does the gauge measure the hackle feather from the pin you bend it
round, in which case it includes the thickness of the hackle stem? Or
does it measure from the centre of the pin you bend it round, in which
case the pin may vary in thickness from the hook and you may be better
bending it round a hook and saving a buck?
A Yorkshire Lad

Remove spam filter to reply

. com...

Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Stan Gula

Norman Greenwood wrote:
Does the gauge measure the hackle feather from the pin you bend it
round, in which case it includes the thickness of the hackle stem?

Yes, but that doesn't matter.

A gauge is just an estimating tool to help you pick feathers that are
'right' for your hook. And if it looks too small or too big on the final
product, use a bigger or smaller feather for the next one.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps