small spoon flies on trout

Old March 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

Default small spoon flies on trout

These look interesting.

http://www.nwmangum.com/spoonfly/index.html

Ever heard of using them in smaller sizes on trout?

Halfordian Golfer
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:01 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mike[_6_]

On Mar 29, 5:50 pm, Halfordian Golfer wrote:
These look interesting.

http://www.nwmangum.com/spoonfly/index.html

Ever heard of using them in smaller sizes on trout?

Halfordian Golfer

These and similar flies work very well indeed for trout. You may have
some problems in some places convincing whoever runs or controls the
fishery that they are indeed "flies".

http://www.ukswff.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=840

TL
MC
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 29, 11:01*am, Mike wrote:
On Mar 29, 5:50 pm, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

These look interesting.

http://www.nwmangum.com/spoonfly/index.html

Ever heard of using them in smaller sizes on trout?

Halfordian Golfer

These and similar flies work very well indeed for trout. You may have
some problems in some places convincing whoever runs or controls the
fishery that they are indeed "flies".

http://www.ukswff.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=840

TL
MC

Thanks Mike. I'm eager to tie some of these as a spring project and am
heading out in a bit to find the pearlescent mylar sheets, hopefully
the flyshop or hobby lobby has it. Seems like the TMC 2457 would be a
good choice? My thought was the hook weight is good for the smaller
sizes, I'm thinking #14's. Colorado has a very reasonable "flies and
lures only" policy on areas where it is an issue, so this hair-
splitting is completely avoided. I don't believe we have a 'flyfishing
only' designation anywhere.

Tim
http://www.epinions.com/review/Umpqu...t_409228840580
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mike[_6_]

On Mar 29, 7:35 pm, Halfordian Golfer wrote:
On Mar 29, 11:01 am, Mike wrote:

[...]

Timhttp://www.epinions.com/review/Umpqua_Tiemco_Tmc_2457_Fly_Tying_Hooks....

In sizes below a size 10 LS ( at least 1X long 2X strong) or similar,
you will have problems. Not only with the material as such, but also
with the action in the water. Below a certain size, they just donīt
work very well, and will also twist your leader badly when casting and
retrieving. None of the small sizes I tried, with various materials
and techniques, worked. A half inch fly on a size 6 hook is about the
smallest you can go and still retain the proper action.

The Mustad 34007 is also a heavy wire stainless steel hook. The
smaller hooks in the usualy wire size prevent any proper "action" of
the spons, and just spin. They are also bad hookers.

Trout will take the larger sizes anyway, even up to two inches or more
long, so there is no real need to go any smaller. Nothing to stop you
trying it though.

If you merely want to try a spoon as such, on the fly rod, then in
small sizes the "fly-spoons" are probably your best bet. You may dress
a fly on the hooks or just use them as they are;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fly-Spoons-10-...QQcmdZViewItem

They are also easy to make.

TL
MC
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:29 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Willi

Halfordian Golfer wrote:
These look interesting.

http://www.nwmangum.com/spoonfly/index.html

Ever heard of using them in smaller sizes on trout?

Halfordian Golfer

I use them in warm water for Bass and especially Crappie. Never tried
it on trout, but I'm not much of a streamer guy.

I make mine differently. I use mylar tubing, which you probably have. I
tie on a tail of marabou, slide on the mylar tubing, tie it in at the
tail leaving a bit behind the tie in as a frayed skirt, then push the
rest of the tubing back toward the rear to make it flare out. Then tie
it in at the head. You can either then crimp it horizontal or vertical.
I often add either dumbell or bead chain eyes. You can coat it with
epoxy which is best but I'm usually lazy and just coat it with cement.

This picture is of the only one I could find done in a verticle
position. It was just lightly coated with regular cement:

http://crystalglen.net/Fishing/Spoonfly.jpg

Willi
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mike[_6_]

On Mar 29, 9:29 pm, Willi wrote:

I use them in warm water for Bass and especially Crappie. Never tried
it on trout, but I'm not much of a streamer guy.

I make mine differently. I use mylar tubing, which you probably have. I
tie on a tail of marabou, slide on the mylar tubing, tie it in at the
tail leaving a bit behind the tie in as a frayed skirt, then push the
rest of the tubing back toward the rear to make it flare out. Then tie
it in at the head. You can either then crimp it horizontal or vertical.
I often add either dumbell or bead chain eyes. You can coat it with
epoxy which is best but I'm usually lazy and just coat it with cement.

This picture is of the only one I could find done in a verticle
position. It was just lightly coated with regular cement:

http://crystalglen.net/Fishing/Spoonfly.jpg

Willi

Thatīs an interesting variation from Willi, but it will have a
completely different action.

The original is here;

http://www.flyfishlouisiana.com/Spoon_fly_1.htm

The amount and position of lead is critical for the correct action,
and getting the fly just right is a finicky business. The fingernail/
epoxy spoons described in the URL above are much easier to make, and
work with just the weight of the epoxy in the concave fingernail. A
guy form Florida wrote me that he had lots of fish on them, and he
used hot melt glue instead of epoxy.

TL
MC
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:39 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 29, 2:44*pm, Mike wrote:
On Mar 29, 9:29 pm, Willi wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback you guys, great stuff.

I went out to get the stuff and was really, really saddened to find my
local fly shop, Two Guys Fly Shop, completely empty. Not sure what
happened but I wish all the best for those guys. I know one of the
brothers died a few years back, but I thought the store was doing
good.

Anyway, I have everything except the mylar sheet and, I guess, hooks
if I need to go a little larger. In terms of making some plain
colored, silver, would a mylar balloon work? I also picked up a
product called sparkle glaze to experiment with. They had some
interesting top glosses at Hobby Lobby, like pearlescent and stuff.
The sparkle glaze claims: Adds a clear iridescent sparkle. Also, not
sure if it was the right choice but, when I got the Sally Hansen's
hard-as-nails, I got the arcylic+nylon. Am guessing what I'll need in
the way of plastic for the thick layer assuming fairly stiff but
extremely thin, clear, sheet protectors.

Best regards,

Tim
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:54 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mike[_6_]

On Mar 30, 12:39 am, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

Anyway, I have everything except the mylar sheet and, I guess, hooks
if I need to go a little larger. In terms of making some plain
colored, silver, would a mylar balloon work? I also picked up a
product called sparkle glaze to experiment with. They had some
interesting top glosses at Hobby Lobby, like pearlescent and stuff.
The sparkle glaze claims: Adds a clear iridescent sparkle. Also, not
sure if it was the right choice but, when I got the Sally Hansen's
hard-as-nails, I got the arcylic+nylon. Am guessing what I'll need in
the way of plastic for the thick layer assuming fairly stiff but
extremely thin, clear, sheet protectors.

Best regards,

Tim

You can get the mylar tape and a lot of other similar stuff at more or
less any automobile accessory store ( "go -faster stripes" ! )

The mylar balloon material is too thin, and wont hold its shape.

You can use ordinary epoxy to coat the flies.

TL
MC
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:59 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 29, 5:54*pm, Mike wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mike. I'll check it out. The original instructions suggested
the hard-as-nails over the epoxy for a nice finish...so I got it.
You're right, probably don't need it. This site has good pearlescent
and reflective tape: http://www.sal****erflies.com/catalog2.html#pearlsheet

Fun.

Thanks,

Tim
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:43 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 29, 5:54*pm, Mike wrote:
[...]

The thought on the thin mylar was that, when attached to the clear
plastic sheet it really serves only to provide the color and
underlying shades/patterns to the fly, that the plastic sheet is what
holds its shape.

Made me wonder about just cutting the shape out of a red plastic
picnic plate and epoxying over that for red ones at least (because I
have some red ones in the pantry).

Halfordian Golfer