Outboard motor

Old April 24th, 2009, 02:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BIG FISH 2006

Default Outboard motor

do you need to pump the fuel bulb everytime before starting an outboard
motor?

Old April 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"BIG FISH 2006" wrote in message
do you need to pump the fuel bulb everytime before starting an outboard
motor?

It depends upon how long the boat has been sitting, but usually I only have
to pump up the bulb once or twice a season. If you have to pump up the bulb
every time you start the outboard, there's a good chance that it has a
pinhole leak or crack and should be replaced. It's not difficult or
expensive to do with simple hand tools.

Take a good look at your fuel line too as long as you're replacing the bulb.
If the fuel line has any cracks, now would be a good time to replace that
too.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 24th, 2009, 02:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
What me worry?

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 07:40:28 -0500, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com"
backed into a tree whilst ridin inna park
then wrote:

"BIG FISH 2006" wrote in message
do you need to pump the fuel bulb everytime before starting an outboard
motor?

It depends upon how long the boat has been sitting, but usually I only have
to pump up the bulb once or twice a season. If you have to pump up the bulb
every time you start the outboard, there's a good chance that it has a
pinhole leak or crack and should be replaced. It's not difficult or
expensive to do with simple hand tools.

Take a good look at your fuel line too as long as you're replacing the bulb.
If the fuel line has any cracks, now would be a good time to replace that
too.

Especially if it is older and you are using fuel with alcohol in it.
Lots of older rubber and synthetic materials used in fuel systems do
not hold up well when alcohol fuel is introduced.
10% alcohol fuel has been shown to deteriate(sp) items such as
rubber/synthetic fuel line, carb floats, gaskets and seals in/on older
motors/engines.
YMMV

Dan
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
I R AN IDIOT

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" wrote in message

"BIG FISH 2006" wrote in message
do you need to pump the fuel bulb everytime before starting an outboard
motor?

It depends upon how long the boat has been sitting, but usually I only
have to pump up the bulb once or twice a season. If you have to pump up
the bulb every time you start the outboard, there's a good chance that it
has a pinhole leak or crack and should be replaced. It's not difficult or
expensive to do with simple hand tools.

Take a good look at your fuel line too as long as you're replacing the
bulb. If the fuel line has any cracks, now would be a good time to replace
that too.

Depending on your setup you can often find a hose, squeeze gbulb, and
connector for your motor all as one unit. I usually pump mine up before
every launch first thing just so I am not sitting there cranking with no
lubrication going into my moor, but after the first start of the day all my
motors usually start one the first lick.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SteveB

"BIG FISH 2006" wrote in message
do you need to pump the fuel bulb everytime before starting an outboard
motor?

No, but I like to, as it helps prevent stalls during the time you get it off
the trailer, and to the dock, at which you are a little vulnerable to
current, wind, and the slings and arrows of other boaters.

It only takes a couple of seconds, and can save a narly situation.

Steve MHO, YMMV