Conventional vs. Baitcasting

Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:26 PM
Bob

Default Conventional vs. Baitcasting

Hello all...I am a newbie to the whole fishing scene, and I was
wondering what the big differences are between conventional reels, and
the bigger, beefier looking baitcasting reels? I've been told that
conventional reels really aren't that great to cast with (supposedly
it takes some fancy thumb work to prevent recoil tangles), but
baitcasting reels on the other hand have the word casting attached to
their name...what's the difference? Do they have mechanisms that
facilitate casting in any way? (not to mention that with most
manufacturers, baitcasting reels are a LOT more expensive compared to
their conventional models.)

Thanks a lot!
Old September 3rd, 2004, 03:32 AM
Sarge

Bob wrote: "I was wondering what the big differences are between
conventional reels, and the bigger, beefier looking baitcasting reels?"

Bob, I believe what you are really asking is what is the difference between
conventional and low profile baitcasters.
Both are baitcasters. The big conventional reels like the Shimano Calcutta
or Penns Senator models or other similar brands and models are designed as
one poster put it with guts. Theses reels are used to catch bigger fish.
They come in level wind and unleveled wind. Some have more then one speed.
Then can be casted or just for drop shotting. Theses reels due require you
to stop the reel from spinning to prevent backlash. Theses reels are
typically used by surf fishing or drop shotting offshore.

The smaller baitcaster called low profile are good for catching fish
inshore. They are easier to cast because they are designed so your thumb
can stop the reel from spinning in a more natural grip. Most come with
anti-backlash features but this does not stop backlash if you don't use your
thumb to stop the spool from spinning.

There are 4 types of reels: spincast, spinning, baitcaster and fly. See
this site for a brief description and photo:
http://www.texasgulfcoastfishing.com/reels.htm

Sarge

Old September 3rd, 2004, 11:13 PM

As best that I can remember the standard reel was bait caster, after the fly
reel. You had to use the thumb for line control or you very bad backlashes.
Then came the spinning reel, open face. it did not have much feel of the
line or bait. It still had tangled line as it twisted the line where as
the baitcaster was a level wind & tghe line came in flat. Then came the
spincast, a combination between the standard baitcaster & the spinning reel.
It could be cast by a beginner with out backlash.

Now the baitcaster reels have brakes of different designs to slow dow the
spool to help prevent backlash.

The cost is usally dependant on the method of brake. The range fro friction
to computer driven.

I still use an Ambassador 3000 I purchased many years ago, at least 30, it
cost about $60.00 then at a discount store. The new 3000 models are about
the same price. You still have to lightly use the thumb for good control
after getting the brate set for line, rod, & lure weight or size.

I also use a Scientic Angler Fly Reel & a Martin automatic fly reel.

Keep them cleaned & lubed for many years of fishing.

Good luck

om...

Old September 4th, 2004, 03:27 PM
joe

In article ,
(Bob) wrote:

Hello all...I am a newbie to the whole fishing scene, and I was
wondering what the big differences are between conventional reels, and
the bigger, beefier looking baitcasting reels? I've been told that
conventional reels really aren't that great to cast with (supposedly
it takes some fancy thumb work to prevent recoil tangles), but
baitcasting reels on the other hand have the word casting attached to
their name...what's the difference? Do they have mechanisms that
facilitate casting in any way? (not to mention that with most
manufacturers, baitcasting reels are a LOT more expensive compared to
their conventional models.)

What class of fish are you interested in angling for and/or are you
planning to fish offshore or inshore?

If you are fishing with artificials and will be making many casts you
would want a reel which casts easier. Also, if you are fishing inshore
most species will not require larger line capacities (around 200 yards
would be enough) and the line is usually 12 - 8 pound test.

Fishing offshore for larger species or around structure may require
larger line test and a larger reel to accommodate the the quantity of
line in the larger test. This type of fishing also requires less casting
as you are either dropping straight down or possibly trolling.

There are other factors but these may help you figure out what you need.

good fishin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb