Shimano Curado 201

Old January 27th, 2004, 11:24 PM
egildone

Default Shimano Curado 201

Just got it in the mail today. Thought they would have instructions on how
to adjust the brakes and set the tension for proper casting. Does anyone
know of a site that has such instructions? This is the first reel of this
type I've owned. Thanks in advance for the help.

--
Ed (remove nospam to reply)

Old January 27th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Charles B. Summers

Well... you bought a good first reel.

To adjust the brakes on the spool, flip ou the little lever on the right
side and unscrew it. Inside you'll see 6 pins with the plastic brakes on
them. They either snap down towards the center of the spool, or snap out.
When they're snapped down, they will not act as brakes, but pulled out,
they'll spin against the race and act as brakes.

Adjust them until you can cast well. I usually pull out every other pin, but
set my tensioning knob to make corrections.

I know someone here has a better explaination and probably a site or two
they'll share.

Old January 28th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Richard Liebert

I have never had to adjust my brakes on my Curado reels, just the casting
spool tension which is the small brass knob on the side. I would suggest
starting out with a fair amount of tension then, as you get used to it, back
off the tension. Watch out for headwind and be careful when you change lure
weight. Above all, be patient and have fun learning.

Old January 28th, 2004, 02:11 AM

To set the tension knob on all these type reels is simple, put whatever line
and lure you are going to use on and reel it up close to the tip, now
pressdown on the casting button while holding the spool with your thumb.
Release the spool and let the line run free till the lure hits the ground.
If the spool causes a birds nest the knob isn't tight enough, tighten and
test till the lure falls relatively fast but has very little overrun that
causes a birds nest. The more you use the reel and get an "educated thumb"
the less you'll use any of the adjustments and the better the reel will
perform.
Don't try to cast to the moon on your first practices, accuracy in casting
is more important than distance. Cast to something in your yard like a Hoola
Hoop or kids wading pool about 25 to 30 ft away, when 9 out of 10 goes in
look for a bucket and start over, when you have that licked you are as good
as most fisherman.