casting for casting advice

Old October 16th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Larry L

Default casting for casting advice

I'm 100% self taught as a fly caster and the truth is, my instructor wasn't
too good.

Normally, my abilities are fine with me, although I do see a lot of other FF
point my direction and laugh as I cast. I can manipulate the line into
curves and around rocks and, generally, get it to serve it's fish catching
function ... at the short ranges I normally fish. I actually prefer the
challenge of getting closer to the fish to casting tests, anyway.

But, every year, about this time (Striper time and 'ain't nothing left but
stillwaters' time ) I become aware of my failing as a distance caster.

My question
...after a comment. I'm a little afraid to get too involved in trying to
relearn casting.
I fear three things
1) getting so self-conscious that I actually get worse ( I've seen golfer
friends do this, 'think' themselves into troubles ) and lose the short line
abilities seeking long line fishing I only do a few days / year .. I can
live without really casting a long line well, have for nearly 40 years
2) falling into a blame the tools trap, that sees me out senselessly
spending on new miracle rods ( I'm a sucker )
3) losing fishing skills to casting skills ( some [ not all TJ :-) ] really
skilled 'tight loop' guys I see can't fish worth a damn and it 'appears' to
be related to their casting skill ... they consistently choose to cast
rather than fish ... wailing a long line to the other side while wondering
what those things flashing away from their feet are :-)

Have any suggestions for videos/ books on long line casting? Have any
experience in "re-learning" to cast after many many years of doing it the
wrong way? Opinions on whether it would be worth the effort for a few days
a year, when much of my fishing sees me backing up to get far enough away to
cast? Opinions on where/ how to practice? ( I see suggestions to 'practice'
without a rod and such that stretch my old fart view of reality )

Old October 16th, 2003, 05:20 PM
JR

Larry L wrote:

But, every year, about this time (Striper time and 'ain't nothing left but
stillwaters' time ) I become aware of my failing as a distance caster.

My question
..after a comment. I'm a little afraid to get too involved in trying to
relearn casting.
I fear three things
1) getting so self-conscious that I actually get worse .........
2) falling into a blame the tools trap .........
3) losing fishing skills to casting skills ........

I improved my distance casting (somewhat) by concentrating on learning
to haul and double haul better. It's true that too much thinking made
my hauling worse before it got better, but--perhaps because these aren't
techniques that I use at shorter distances--working on them didn't at
all confound my "normal" casting.

On the other hand, an earlier attempt to improve my distance casting by
switching to a stiffer rod and screwing with the timing of my casting
stroke was disasterous.

JR
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:22 PM
CB

An hour with a pro might be a better way to spend the money as opposed to a
book or video because he or she will be able to tell you what to work on and
what to leave alone. More importantly, a person can answer a question.

That said, I got more distance when I finally figured out the rod stop on
the back and fore cast.

Good luck.

Chris Brown

Old October 16th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Larry L

How does one find such instructors?

Old October 16th, 2003, 10:34 PM
CB

Do you have a local fly shop? Often, there is at least one that they can
refer you to. In my area, the adult education program through the local
junior college/school district offers class. Local fly fishing club is
another place to check out.

Chris

Old October 16th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Larry L wrote:

Have any suggestions for videos/ books on long line casting?

Troubleshooting the Cast by Ed Jaworski (sp?)

My wife took some photos of me while I was casting several years ago. It
was very clear I was breaking my back cast at the wrist and that my arm
motion was too low. I think you may want to videotape yourself in order
to catch some of the more obvious mistakes you may be making.

Mu
Old October 17th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Larry L

"Mu Young Lee" wrote

I think you may want to videotape yourself in order
to catch some of the more obvious mistakes you may be making.

I think that is a cool idea, thanks

Old October 17th, 2003, 01:20 AM
asadi

I practiced on a lawn next to an office building with those big reflective
mirrors.....I've never had much luck getting women to do what I want with a
video camera....

john

pcc.itd.umich.edu...

Old October 17th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Peter Charles

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:41:24 -0400, Mu Young Lee
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Larry L wrote:

Have any suggestions for videos/ books on long line casting?

Troubleshooting the Cast by Ed Jaworski (sp?)

My wife took some photos of me while I was casting several years ago. It
was very clear I was breaking my back cast at the wrist and that my arm
motion was too low. I think you may want to videotape yourself in order
to catch some of the more obvious mistakes you may be making.

Mu

Mu probably has the best advice -- nothing like seeing your mistakes
first-hand. -- Greg sent me a video of my spey casting

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old October 17th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Mark

Neither was mine... but I DID recently get a little help. I bought a copy
of Mel Krieger's "The Essence of Flycasting"... and BOY it did a number on
my casting... I am SO much better now, it's not even funny. Hell, I might
even let some ROFF people see me cast now!

Anyway, I highly recommend it. It certainly helped me!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te... atic_product