I miss ROFF

Old June 29th, 2013, 06:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John B[_4_]

Default I miss ROFF

I miss ROFF

I truly do.

ROFF was/is the campfire, where we relaxed at night and talked about our day. The catch or the missed, the times or the trials and tribulations. Facebook seems like a lot of soccer moms around the produce counter or the stay at home dads in the frozen dinner section where they all just gab and pull pictures out of their wallets and speculate on what college their kid will get accepted to.

The campfire was quiet. We got to know one another.

There are things I could or would say on ROFF that I would never say on facebook. ROFF was private. There were idiots and flame wars but we weathered the storm. Patched up the differences or learned to live with them, it was our "Hole in the Wall."

Now, everything is on the wall...

ROFF could even cure cabin fever. Cabin fever is an insidious disease. Like dehydration, you don't see it coming. In ROFF, where one did not have to be so socially and politically correct, your friends could see the symptoms and tell you, "You need to go fishing." You can't rant and rave on FB because you are in the middle of the supermarket or the town square and all you say is open to the world. Pardon me, but the world is not welcome around my campfire...

So I blame all those who no longer post on ROFF for all of my current problems, had ROFF been active, I wouldn't be in the situation I am today.

About two or three months ago I began to get nervous, uncontent, dissatisfied and feeling a general unease. The feeling intensified. I began to feel like a caged animal.

I read some posts on FB about the PENN'S Cave and cracked wide open. Full blown Cabin Fever....and I didn't know I had it. I have not had a campfire or been fishing in over four years.....

But I had it, a nervous pacing around the house, none of my normal recreation seemed to relax me.

I began to panic. I started searching airline fares and wondered if I could make it to the Clave on time.

I also searched out Wolfgang. I dearly love all of the friends I made on ROFF and will not go into any details but some friends are made by GOD for some purposes and I really, really, wanted to fish with Wolfgang at that particular time in my life.

A few days later I couldn't take it anymore and screamed, ran out of the house and jumped on my motorbike. Two days and three islands later, while shopping in the market for a tooth brush, underwear and clean socks, I theorized that my departure could have been somewhat better planned. In a moment of clarity I realized I had cabin fever....

So I picked another island and rode every road on it. You should try it sometime....quite relaxing.

I didn't get to fish and I didn't get to sit around a campfire but I managed to get most of it out of my system.

I returned home one afternoon just about as dirty and stinky as a man can get. I went down to the dock of the bay and had a few beers with the guys and watched the tide roll away and then went to my favorite little watering hole which is called the "Europe Cuisine."

Europe Cuisine was established by Jose and Elda, a truly delightful couple. Chicken Cordon Blue, Lasagna.... all the goodies. Cold Beer. A place I often spent my afternoons reading my E-books or drinking in the evening with friends.

Now, I always admired Jose and Elda, they didn't manage a restaurant they were married to it. Up at dawn and getting the stock and getting it open and cleaning up after I and my friends had left at God knows what hour. Jose is younger than me and I have been retired for almost eight years and doing nothing and loving it. No way I could do what they do.

So there I am drinking my beer and talking to Elda and I ask about Jose and she tells me he is in Australia working on his pension and won't be back for a year or two. Jose is a Spaniard who served some time in the French Foreign Legion and worked in Australia . . . figure that out.

Anyhow, Elda says that she is going to Australia to be with Jose and I ask what is going happen to my favorite little restaurant and she says if she can't sell it she will close it.

Eight years, eight years I have been retired and living the life of Riley. I like to sleep late in the mornings, I don't like to wear no shoes and the first words out of my mouth were.... "How much?"

I don't know **** about running a restaurant but I do know this....

If you bring in a facebook post your first drink is on the house and your meal is half price. Bring in a copy of your ROFF post, from the days of ROFF, you pay full price for your meal. Your drinks are free as long as you can stand up to order them.

John B
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John B[_4_]

I'[m throwing some Acacia on the fire...it burns nice and makes a hot bed of coals.

I'm just going to sit here and drink a few beers. I've got spicy Italian sausage if you wanna grill one up...

I got plenty of beer and extra chairs...

jb
Old July 10th, 2013, 02:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2012

On Monday, July 1, 2013 12:17:21 PM UTC-5, John B wrote:
I'[m throwing some Acacia on the fire...it burns nice and makes a hot bed of coals.

I'm just going to sit here and drink a few beers. I've got spicy Italian sausage if you wanna grill one up...

I got plenty of beer and extra chairs...

jb

I'll pop over to your new place this weekend. It shouldn't be too long a drive, should it?
Frank Reid

Old July 17th, 2013, 02:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
personaobscura

Ok, curiosity has gotten the better of me: where the heck are you exactly,
Asadi?

Old August 14th, 2013, 07:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DavePA

On Saturday, June 29, 2013 1:39:48 PM UTC-4, John B wrote:
[...]

Hey John,

Nice Otis Redding reference.
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DavePA

[...]

I was wondering how you are doing; timely post my friend. Nice Otis Redding dock of the bay rendition there without the music. So, there are no fish available in a country with about 5000 miles of shoreline?

And, ROFF is no more? It is now on Facebook?

I sent you an email sir!

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman[_6_]

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 1:39:48 AM UTC+8, John B wrote:
[...]

John: check your Facebook inbox
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark H. Bowen[_2_]

So, how are you and Myron fairing together in the islands? You absolutely amaze me--being able to just pick up sticks and move to a new home so far from the old home.

Anyway, best to you and yours!
Give Myron a hug foe me.

Opie
Old January 26th, 2016, 07:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 12:39:48 PM UTC-5, John B wrote:
I miss ROFF

I truly do.

I miss your inexplicable and inimitable profundity.

g.
and that Dog's own truth