QUESTION: Hooks snapping on de-barb

Old September 20th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Hooked

Default QUESTION: Hooks snapping on de-barb

"Chas Wade" wrote in message
news
Scott Seidman wrote:

It was a barb on a #22 that got hooked in my son's eye lid and required
a doctor's help to remove. Since then I debarb everything I fish with.

So how did this hook end up there in the first place?

Old September 21st, 2003, 07:47 AM
Chas Wade

Scott Seidman wrote:
Chas,

I really should say absolutely nothing here, cause your boy was at
risk,
and it couldn't have been a very pleasant situation, but was your son
wearing eye protection??

It's a good enough point that I can't take offense at it. This was
about 20 years ago, and people hadn't gotten into the radical defend
the kids from everything mode yet.

When I teach in the courses, I gear up, and I ask the audience to call
out
the most important piece of gear I'm wearing. I make sure they all
understand that it's my glasses or sunglasses, and why. Next, I take
my
whistle out of my wader pocket. Then my wading staff.

I'm with you on the glasses, but I put a hat next, and don't bother
with either the whistle or the wading staff. I can yell as loud as a
whistle, and I'd just trip over the staff. I call the hat my "casting
helmet". A full brim, not a baseball cap.

Of course, your son could have caught a hook anywhere on his body, and
you
would have had a similar problem, but not as nervewracking. Hell, for
all
I know, your boy could have had a freak accident at the tying vise.

This part, though true, is irrelevant.

Chas
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html

Old September 21st, 2003, 07:53 AM
Chas Wade

"Hooked" wrote:
"Chas Wade" wrote in message
news
Scott Seidman wrote:

It was a barb on a #22 that got hooked in my son's eye lid and
required
a doctor's help to remove. Since then I debarb everything I fish
with.

So how did this hook end up there in the first place?

I was in one of those one man rafts that Sevylor calls a three man
raft. My legs run the entire length of the floor, and my son sat on my
feet and the far end of the raft. This put his head less than 5 feet
from mine. When the fish rose and I missed him, I tried to turn the
strike into a backcast and get the fly back there as quickly as
possible. Normally that trick works well for me, but this time the
line wrapped around his head. Even though I stopped tha casting
motion, the momentum of the line completed the job. His eye naturally
closed well before the fly got to it. I leaned forward, told him we'd
take care of it, and bit off the leader before any more trouble could
come up.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:41 PM
Scott Seidman

Chas Wade wrote in news:dQbbb.115190$mp.58539
@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:

Scott Seidman wrote:
[...]

Tremendously happy that you took this in the spirit with which it was
intended.

Fully agree on the staff, BTW. I use a folding one, just so I always
have it and might not trip over it. I also try to use it exclusively for
wading myself out of trouble, but the temptation is always there to wade
myself into trouble. Also, a staff is really no substitute for an
attentive wading buddy.

The whistle, though, I really push. You can yell as loudly as a whistle
can, FOR AWHILE, assuming you're not injured. For a three buck
investment and a tiny space in my vest, I'll keep carrying the whistle.

What's your son doing these days, BTW??

Scott
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:54 PM
Wolfgang

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...

You can yell as loudly as a whistle
can, FOR AWHILE, assuming you're not injured.....

Maybe. I remain skeptical. But volume and tenacity aren't necessarily
always the key issues, anyway. High frequency sounds carry much better
through background noise.......like rushing water, or wind in the trees.
Birds figured it out years ago. In addition, a signal note, regardless of
pitch, is much more likely to be noticed if it is of long duration. A
whistle requires relatively little air flow. It's pretty easy to hold a
note for thirty seconds or more on a whistle. Try that with a maximum
volume shout sometime.......and half a dozen or so shouts like that will
pretty much fry most people's vocal cords.

Wolfgang
tweet, tweet!

Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:13 PM
Ernie

Wolfie.
I used to carry one of those little cans of compressed gas with the horn
on top in my fishing vest. I figured it would carry a lot further than
hollering.
Ernie

Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:42 AM
Chas Wade

Scott Seidman wrote:

Tremendously happy that you took this in the spirit with which it was
intended.

Fully agree on the staff, BTW. I use a folding one, just so I always
have it and might not trip over it. I also try to use it exclusively
for
wading myself out of trouble, but the temptation is always there to
wade
myself into trouble. Also, a staff is really no substitute for an
attentive wading buddy.

The whistle, though, I really push. You can yell as loudly as a
whistle
can, FOR AWHILE, assuming you're not injured. For a three buck
investment and a tiny space in my vest, I'll keep carrying the whistle.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I'm of the opinion
that the less extraneous stuff I carry, the more fun I'll have. As
soon as I feel the need to carry a whistle, I'll realize I need a
pistol capable of stopping a bear or a crazed fisherman. I'll also
realize I need a satelite phone and an ELT (emergency locator
transmitter). The experience is richer for me without all that modern
"safety" stuff.

This is just the way it works for me, not a position I advocate for
others.

What's your son doing these days, BTW??

Working as a geologist, skiing, and fishing whenever he can. He also
ties flies. No negative repercussions from the accident.

Thanks for asking,