product ideas

Old May 27th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Dave Plowman

Default product ideas

In article ,
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
I always talk to the
riders as I approach (another advantage of not being in a tin box!)

Same here. I find "Get off the fooking road and use a bridle path" works
best.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:21 PM
shazzbat

"Terry D" wrote in message
Pete Biggs wrote:

The holy grail of bicycle accessories: A strong, secure yet

*lightweight*
lock. I want one! Get cracking please :-)

~PB

I'll second that one. Took both of my locks out with me yesterday so
that I could secure my good bike in an al fresco location (it normally
stays indoors at home or in the workshop) Together the locks weigh
almost as much as the bike! Makes buying a lightweight bike pointless if
you have to cart things like that about all the time.

Perhaps a built in device like the steering lock on a car. Stealing a bike
with the front wheel on full lock must be difficult, unless the thievery is
of the bung it in the back of a van variety. It may also make the bike more
trouble than it's worth. (to the thieves I mean)

Steve

Old May 27th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Thu, 27 May 2004 13:21:38 +0100, shazzbat
wrote:

Perhaps a built in device like the steering lock on a car. Stealing a
bike
with the front wheel on full lock must be difficult, unless the thievery
is
of the bung it in the back of a van variety. It may also make the bike
more
trouble than it's worth. (to the thieves I mean)

Not quite a steering lock but you can get locks called 'nurses locks'
these attach to the frame (on the brake lugs) and lock around the wheel
when necessary. They tend to be not as good as U-locks but an Abus one did
well in recent test. Their big benefit for a hack bike is that they are
never forgotten.

Colin
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Dave Plowman wrote:

I always talk to the
riders as I approach (another advantage of not being in a tin box!)

Same here. I find "Get off the fooking road and use a bridle path"
works best.

Two possibilities:

1. You missed the smiley, or
2. You are an arse.

Answers on a postcard, please...

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Chris
writes
I am in the final year of a technology education degree course, part of
which involves designing a product and manufacturing it to prototype stage.
The product has to be original, or better designed, than any similar product
on the market. I am posting this message to a number of newsgroups in the
hope that someone will have a problem with a product they use, or can't find
a product to suit their requirements in the market place. I would appreciate
any (sensible) suggestions.

If you are designing anything for the garden with a long handle, please
make the handle longer that would be required for a dwarf!!! I am fed up
with having to bend over shears, power hoses, lawn edgers, spades. Not
doing my back any good at all ((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old May 27th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Roger Hughes

Cath Fleetwood wrote:

What I would like though is a gadget that pops the tyres of cars that
overtake within an inch of my horse and something to frighten the life out
of cyclists who whoosh up behind us silently and then overtake frightening
the life out of said horse. Only kidding by the way :-))

Horses frighten the life out of cyclists inherently, especially when
seen from underneath. And the first one would only be that useful if you
know you have a horse that won't be spooked by the bang...

ROger
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Jim Warren

shazzbat wrote in message

Perhaps a built in device like the steering lock on a car. Stealing a bike
with the front wheel on full lock must be difficult, unless the thievery

is
of the bung it in the back of a van variety. It may also make the bike

more
trouble than it's worth. (to the thieves I mean)

Steve

It has been done already. The Raleigh bikes of the 1940s and early 1950s
(the ones with the enclosed chain and roller lever brakes) had just such a
lock, which would lock the front forks at dead ahead, or right or left lock.
But most owners lost the keys.

Jim

Old May 27th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Pyromancer

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Pete M
breathed:

A working spam filter would be nice. One that puts a stop to people
crossposting things across all sorts of weird groups..

.. although saying that, this doesn't appear to have been crossposted that
foolishly

as you were..

Perhaps a device, light enough to be carried on a bicycle, which
utilises the energy of a horse to whack anyone x-posting to a classic
car group, using a north sea haddock attached to a garden rake?

:-)

Seriously, how about a cycle carrier for a horse? Or possibly more
practically a high-density folding cycle rack, capable of carrying lots
of full-size bikes, designed to be mounted in a standard horse-box (I
assume the ones I see on the M1 are largely to a standard-ish size), and
which folds into a compact and easily lockable / moveable size when not
in use. Thus horse-box owners could gain additional revenue when not
carrying horses by transporting bikes, e.g. for major road events like
the London - Brighton run.

The rack would need to be able to carry many more bikes, without damage,
than can simply be piled into the horse-box.

--
- Pyromancer.

- http://www.tabbyvans.co.uk
- 'Purrfect' sun-drenched static caravan holidays on the English east coast.

Old May 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Mark South

"Pyromancer" wrote in message

Seriously, how about a cycle carrier for a horse?

Well, a practical horse carrier for a bicycle would be a boon.

You could resort to the horse when you get a puncture. (The horse would also
need to be equipped with a cycle carrier, but the desing will take that into
account.)

When encountering horseriders on bridleways they will not be able to make smart
remarks unless they want the obvious retort.

Morons encountered can be administered a jolly good kicking by the horse.
--

-- M.