Montauk Sportfishing Report 4/14/05

Old April 14th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Capt Gene Kelly

Default Montauk Sportfishing Report 4/14/05

4/14/05

I'm ba-ack! It's been a long and miserable winter, but things are hopping
here in Montauk right now.

Before I get into details: If you would like to receive these reports this
year you have to reply to this one. Every year I update the mailing list and
this is the easiest way to do it. You don't have to write anything. Just hit
"reply" and "send".

Tomorrow (Friday) is what I call the official start of the fishing season,
even though some boats have been cod fishing for the last couple of months.
Tomorrow the LAZYBONES starts fishing in the lake for flounders.

Many of the charter boats are in the water, with more joining them every
day. The regs have been loosened up this year, and they're all anxious to
get started.

Fluke season opens up on April 29, and the fish are already here and
waiting. Typically the most big fish are taken in the first couple of weeks
of the season, so if you are interested in catching doormats, that is the
time, and the new regs allow five fish per person. The striped bass season
opens tomorrow (April 15), and there might be some of them around as well.
The big change in the regs for bass allows private boaters to posses one
bass over twenty-eight inches and a second one over forty inches. The
charter and party boats still have the old limits of two fish over
twenty-eight inches.

As I said earlier, there have been boats fishing for cod for the last couple
of months and they have done very well, at least in the beginning. The
codfishing right now is still very good, although if you like eating codfish
it's not so good. Lots and lots of shorts with occasional keepers.

There is a new MARLIN in town. THe MARLIN VI PRINCESS will replace the old
MARLIN VI. It's bigger, faster and a pretty spiffy looking boat. Captain
Eddie Beneducci and Jamie Quaresimo are still there and the boat is still
sailing out of Uihlein's.

There is also a new and different charter boat in town. Mike Vigessi's
daughters, Capt Serena and mate Becky will be operating it out of the
Montauk Marine Basin. I forgot to ask it's name.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at . And for more information about
fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http.//www.montauksportfishing.com.

--
Capt Gene Kelly
Tropical Fishing Adventures