OT Why Obama WIns

Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default OT Why Obama WIns

To paraphrase some lyrics from the Grateful Dead, "sometimes
you see the truth in the strangest places". Charles Krauthammer
and I rarely agree on anything political but I think he nailed
it today.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Oct 3, 5:58*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
To paraphrase some lyrics from the Grateful Dead, "sometimes
you see the truth in the strangest places". Charles Krauthammer
and I rarely agree on anything political but I think he nailed
it today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...08/10/02/AR200...

Really?

"Obama has shown that he is a man of limited experience, questionable
convictions, deeply troubling associations (Jeremiah Wright, William
Ayers, Tony Rezko) and an alarming lack of self-definition -- do you
really know who he is and what he believes? "

I admit, looks like your team is going to win this year, but I
wouldn't be happy about who you picked.
- Ken
Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

wrote:
To paraphrase some lyrics from the Grateful Dead, "sometimes
you see the truth in the strangest places". Charles Krauthammer
and I rarely agree on anything political but I think he nailed
it today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...08/10/02/AR200...

Really?

"Obama has shown that he is a man of limited experience, questionable
convictions, deeply troubling associations (Jeremiah Wright, William
Ayers, Tony Rezko) and an alarming lack of self-definition -- do you
really know who he is and what he believes? "

From Krauthammer's perspective all that is true but Krauthammer's
"convictions" are a little to the right of Benito Mussolini's so
naturally he's going to believe a moderate liberal has questionable
convictions. The rest of that paragraph is little more than wingnut
talking points, hell there's not a single member of the Illinois
Senate who doesn't have "troubling associations", that's Illinois
politics. And if anyone wants to know what Obama believes all they
have to do is read one or both of his books.

I admit, looks like your team is going to win this year, but I
wouldn't be happy about who you picked.

Well, we usually have to pick a politician and politicians are
always suspect by their very nature, but as politicians go I'm
quite happy with Obama-Biden. But if the Dalai Lama ever runs
for POTUS I'd be happy with that pick too. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:
To paraphrase some lyrics from the Grateful Dead, "sometimes
you see the truth in the strangest places". Charles Krauthammer
and I rarely agree on anything political but I think he nailed
it today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...08/10/02/AR200...

Really?

"Obama has shown that he is a man of limited experience, questionable
convictions, deeply troubling associations (Jeremiah Wright, William
Ayers, Tony Rezko) and an alarming lack of self-definition -- do you
really know who he is and what he believes? "

Yeah, that jumped out at me, too, but hey, if Ken says he nailed it,
then he must have nailed it...and yeah, he nailed it...the only question
is if the US voter will care...

I admit, looks like your team is going to win this year, but I
wouldn't be happy about who you picked.

You may admit it, but it doesn't look to be accurate. Looking at some
complete numbers (Barr, Nader, etc.) and full poll results, currently
Obama leads by about 4% nationally and a fair number of states are
polling toss-ups. The debate last night is beginning to show up in
early data, and it looks better for McCain/Palin than Obama/Biden (but
both look to do OK). It's looks like Monday might have things back to
about even in the polls. And, no, I'm not suggesting that McCain is
going to win, either - it's just too close, nationally and state-level.
IAC, the polls are little more than trending data. About all that can
be said is that one of them is probably going to win...and a whole lot
more people are gonna lose...

HTH,
- Ken

Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:10:05 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

a moderate liberal

Moderate liberal? Obama? He's to the left of Castro. Redistribute
our wealth my ass.

ott, how was the fishing. and the pup?

Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Dave LaCourse wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
a moderate liberal

Moderate liberal? Obama? He's to the left of Castro. Redistribute
our wealth my ass.

That shows how far to the right our political center has
shifted. Hell, you'd categorize Nixon as a member of the
loony left if he were around today.

ott, how was the fishing. and the pup?

I'm freezing my tooshie off up here. Caught some gorgeous little
brookies in the UP on the last day of trout season and some smallies
since then. No muskie yet but I'm still here. The weather didn't
run me off but it did run me into town. There was snow in the forecast
last night. I'm doing some laundry this morning and I'll go muskie
fishing this afternoon. We'll head back to Urbana sometime next week.

The pup is doing great, she thinks she's Kaylin "Wild Dog Do Bad"
of the North and that she doesn't have to obey any of those silly
town rules, but we're working on it. She'll turn six months old on
Monday.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:35:27 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Dave LaCourse wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
a moderate liberal

Moderate liberal? Obama? He's to the left of Castro. Redistribute
our wealth my ass.

That shows how far to the right our political center has
shifted. Hell, you'd categorize Nixon as a member of the
loony left if he were around today.

LOL. You mean to tell me he *wasn't?*

ott, how was the fishing. and the pup?

I'm freezing my tooshie off up here. Caught some gorgeous little
brookies in the UP on the last day of trout season and some smallies
since then. No muskie yet but I'm still here. The weather didn't
run me off but it did run me into town. There was snow in the forecast
last night. I'm doing some laundry this morning and I'll go muskie
fishing this afternoon. We'll head back to Urbana sometime next week.

Heading up to northern Maine first thing in the a.m. Got my merino
wool and fleece all packed. I'm going to a wedding on the banks of
the of the Magallaway - Rapid River guide and a former Lakewood
waitress (ooops, forgot whom I'm talking to.... make that "wait
person.") They're heading to Montana for their honeymoon. I should
go through a cord of wood or so. d(

The pup is doing great, she thinks she's Kaylin "Wild Dog Do Bad"
of the North and that she doesn't have to obey any of those silly
town rules, but we're working on it. She'll turn six months old on
Monday.

Good. She'll come around I am sure. Jenny is still eating and
thankfully passing socks. If it is small enough and not nailed down,
she will eat it. She ate Jo's Omega watch last week. Strap and
buckle ingested and passed. Jo saved the watch. It now has teeth
marks on it, but still works. It was the first gift I got for her 27
years ago.

Old October 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 07:58:21 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

To paraphrase some lyrics from the Grateful Dead, "sometimes
you see the truth in the strangest places". Charles Krauthammer
and I rarely agree on anything political but I think he nailed
it today.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/...-missouri.html

This story from St. Louis is what I see happening on a personal level
in Wausau. My kid is an Obama intern. He is working his azz off and
the experience is changing him for the better.

I find myself struggling with this concept of having a leader who I
really, really respect. I came to respect Carter after he left office
but in my entire adult life, with the exception of Robert Kennedy's
short lived run in '68 (and I was only 15 then), I've always seen the
person running who I ended up voting for as being a compromise. Not
this time. Geez, I'm too old for this. I was a real "Don't follow
leaders... watch your parking meters" kind of guy. Am I today. No. Do
I walk in lock step with Hopey. No. Do I trust his judgment to try to
find reasoned solutions to problems. "You betchya", to quote a certain
Alaskan.

A constitutional scholar as President of the United States. Amazing.
Just amazing.

g.c.
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Oct 3, 9:35*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Dave LaCourse wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
a moderate liberal

Moderate liberal? *Obama? *He's to the left of Castro. *Redistribute
our wealth my ass.

That shows how far to the right our political center has
shifted. Hell, you'd categorize Nixon as a member of the
loony left if he were around today.

This exchange reminded me of an article I had just read:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news...on_people_youd

- Ken

Old October 5th, 2008, 02:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Oct 3, 11:48*am, " wrote:

I admit, looks like your team is going to win this year, but I
wouldn't be happy about who you picked.
* * - Ken

Oh hell, there's plenty of time and the swift boat crew hasn't been
called in yet (they should be just about ready, must have spent all of
their money by now). All that's needed is a good fairy tale or two.