Rod/Reel advice?

Old July 19th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Kevin

Default Rod/Reel advice?

Hello everyone,

I am returning to fly fishing agter a 10 year break. My question is
regarding equipment. I am looking at a few options and would like some
advice. I can either get a complete rod, reel, line combo (new) OR piece
together a setup from used components. I'm not familiar with the new
equipment and any help is appreciated.

Friends have recommended the following 9' 5wt setups:
Orvis Streamline Rod and Entry Reel (forgot the reel model) $140
Cabelas Prestige Combo $160
G. Loomis GL2 Kit (plastic reel feels flimsy) $180
Orvis Clearwater Rod and Entry Reel (forgot reel model) $250
Sage RPL590 and 106M reel (Used but in good shape) $250

Which setup would have the most bang for the buck for a guy who is
re-learning (semi-beginner)? Any other recommendations not listed here?

Old July 19th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Sierra fisher

If you have been out of the loop, you may not have heard tht Redington was
on the verge of bankruptcy, and was bought out by Sage. the operations were
moved to Washington State to be near Sage, but they have been kept separate.
Redington has a 5 pc Wayfarer which is a fantastic rod for the money. I
have the 7, 8, 10 and 12 wt rods and use them a lot in my sal****er fishing.
Because fo the bankruptcy, and the breakage problem of their top of line
NTI, a lot of people are down on Redington. However, their top of the line
reels are well respected, and their lower priced rods have always been well
received. their assoc with Sage should give them some respectibility.
they have a package of rod, reel, line, etc $350. The rods alone are often
available on E-Bay for $100 to 150 new. the reels for $50 to 70

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Old July 20th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Steve Sullivan

In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

Friends have recommended the following 9' 5wt setups:
Orvis Streamline Rod and Entry Reel (forgot the reel model) $140

Walmart something similiar for $118. It is called something like a
"blue mountain by Orvis", it is a rod, reel, backing and line. That is
probably going to be your best bet.
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:58 AM
JR

GregP wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:00:37 -0600, "Kevin" wrote:

Sage RPL590 and 106M reel (Used but in good shape) $250

Which setup would have the most bang for the buck for a guy who is
re-learning (semi-beginner)? Any other recommendations not listed here?

The RPL is a very stiff rod, isn't it ? If I were in relearning
mode (I'm still working on learning the first time around :-)
I would pass on this rod.

The old RPL is not a particularly stiff rod. I think Sage is accurate in
calling its action "medium fast". The current VPS has the same blank as
the RPL, with slightly plainer fittings. I do 90%+ of my trout fishing
these days with an RPL586-4, and if I lost it, I'd replace it with a
VPS586-4. IMO, an RPL590 in good shape would be not just a perfect
re-learning rod, but a great trout rod for life.

JR

Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:42 PM
rw

GregP wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 06:58:41 +0200, JR wrote:

The old RPL is not a particularly stiff rod. ...

I must have confused the model "number" with another
one.

You may have been thinking of the RPLXi, a very stiff sal****er rod.