Um, Ken..., or, suddenly, $24,000.00 for a evening out in NYC seems like a bargain...

Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Um, Ken..., or, suddenly, $24,000.00 for a evening out in NYC seems like a bargain...

It is being reported by multiple sources, including on-site and local press in
India, that the Obama family's little trip (in which he isn't going anywhere...)
is costing - are you ready - $200 _million_ USD _a day_ in expenses in India
alone. To be fair, some sources are reporting that the 200 mil includes
everything, not just expenses paid in India...like that matters. Further, it is
being reported that somewhere between - again, are you ready - 25 and 50 million
(total or per day, depending on the source) are because Michelle and the girls
are going. I realize in the sense of the entire US economy, 200 mil is a
rounding error, but come on. How can any rational person defend
spending/allowing the expenditure of 200 million a day on a friggin' trip? And
if it adds anything approaching the reported costs to bring his family, it is
all the more appalling.

Just as an exercise, figuring $24,000 a day in travel expenses, that's over 22
_years_ of going out, each and every night, or, at a fairly generous travel
allowance of $500.00 a day (FWIW, more than is allowed to the CEO of Walmart to
any city in CUS under normal circumstances), that's over nearly 1100 _years_ of
continuous travel.

And for the record, I have no direct information that the figure is correct, but
if it is even remotely close, it is a disgrace and it is mind-bogglingly
offensive to the poor in both the US and India. And I also hope like hell that
this is some wildly inaccurate and over-inflated number invented by Limbaugh and
Beck under the influence of God-knows-what, but if it isn't...

Sheesh to the 200,000,000th power,
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

wrote:
snip

Don't you have anything better to do than yap at the
President's ankles like a little, deranged chihuahua ?

Good grief.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 13:34:20 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

snip

Don't you have anything better to do than yap at the
President's ankles like a little, deranged chihuahua ?

Ken, I gotta tell you, if the 200 mil a day figure is remotely close to the
actual cost, I do not consider it "yap(ping) at the President's ankles," and I
do not believe for a second that if this were Bush (or any other Republican)
that you would consider it any less than what it would be, if true - a
disgusting thing.

Good grief.

You got that right,
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Nov 3, 1:21*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 13:34:20 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

snip

Don't you have anything better to do than yap at the
President's ankles like a little, deranged chihuahua ?

Ken, I gotta tell you, if the 200 mil a day figure is remotely close to the
actual cost, I do not consider it "yap(ping) at the President's ankles," and I
do not believe for a second that if this were Bush (or any other Republican)
that you would consider it any less than what it would be, if true - a
disgusting thing.

Good grief.

You got that right,

Don't recalls that it ever came up. Seemed that Bush had the exact
opposite problem (ie not getting around much/running to ground). Where
did he go? At least once to Iraq, maybe Europe (?) but where else? As
I remember it, one of my personal gripes about the man was that he was
even less traveled than I am, and didn't seem interested in the world
much.

I have the same gripe about most politicians. Nixon, Clinton and
Kennedy were the most "worldee" so far IMHO. There is something to be
said for study and preparation over improvisation.

Old November 4th, 2010, 10:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 00:23:25 -0700 (PDT), DaveS wrote:

On Nov 3, 1:21*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 13:34:20 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

snip

Don't you have anything better to do than yap at the
President's ankles like a little, deranged chihuahua ?

Ken, I gotta tell you, if the 200 mil a day figure is remotely close to the
actual cost, I do not consider it "yap(ping) at the President's ankles," and I
do not believe for a second that if this were Bush (or any other Republican)
that you would consider it any less than what it would be, if true - a
disgusting thing.

Good grief.

You got that right,

Don't recalls that it ever came up. Seemed that Bush had the exact
opposite problem (ie not getting around much/running to ground). Where
did he go? At least once to Iraq, maybe Europe (?) but where else?

Just Crawford, Whataburger, and Toys-R-Us - now there is a President who knows
how to keep travel costs down...

As
I remember it, one of my personal gripes about the man was that he was
even less traveled than I am,

Ah, well, see, that there is your problem - "As I remember it..."

and didn't seem interested in the world much.

Eh, screw the world, he was the friggin' President of the United States...

I have the same gripe about most politicians. Nixon, Clinton and
Kennedy were the most "worldee" so far IMHO.

Well, let's be fair - Boeing was kinda late delivering George Washington's 747
to him...and why, shoot, a whole bunch of them early dudes weren't even born in
the US...how "worldee" is THAT...

There is something to be
said for study and preparation over improvisation.

There is something to be said for a double-scoop cone of braunschweiger ice
cream dipped in broccoli-flavored caramel and rolled in used cat litter, too...

HTH,

Old November 4th, 2010, 11:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:19:42 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
wrote:
snip
Don't you have anything better to do than yap at the
President's ankles like a little, deranged chihuahua ?

Ken, I gotta tell you, if the 200 mil a day figure is remotely close to the
actual cost, I do not consider it "yap(ping) at the President's ankles," and I
do not believe for a second that if this were Bush (or any other Republican)
that you would consider it any less than what it would be, if true - a
disgusting thing.

Presidents and their families travel abroad, it's part of the
job. Where were you when Shrub traveled abroad ?

He never went anywhere - ask Sarge...

....but funny you should ask - I remember the Dems going bat**** about some trip
Bush, um, didn't take, that cost something like 3.5 million total, and had a
campaign-ish stop on the return, for which the GOP only paid something like 50
grand and the Dems said it should have been more like a mil (IIRC, it was
something like dropping off a Congressperson "at home," obviously via AF1, and
doing a grip-and-grin with them). Basically, it was some attempt at, er,
bush-league payback for the bush-league Lincoln bedroom shtick, but the numbers
are there as to cost of POTUS travel. Hell, Clinton's little ride on the Orient
Express (or was it the Great Lewinski-Dodging Safari...) only set the taxpayers
back about 40 mil, IIRC, for the entire thing. And I remember some Dems raising
hell with some trip Bush, er, didn't take and around 600 or so people went
(about 1/3 being security) in 3 planes (2 passenger and 1 cargo, which is about
SOP for any such Presidential travel - at least 2 - AF1, generally one of the
VCs/747s, and a large C17 transport for the limo and hardened ground transport,
etc. - the S.S. doesn't book from Avis and cross their fingers for a 2-class
upgrade when they get there...). But this, sheesh, it's the friggin' Berlin,
er, Mumbai airlift...

IAC, the story has been picked up by other media, including, obviously,
Limpdick, Malkintent, etc., but also a few "mainstream" outlets and the White
House commented on it. The "official comments" are not good - basically, they
immediately claimed the numbers were "wildly inflated" (without so much as
checking on _anything_), but for "security reasons" they could not give any
numbers of any kind as to the actual cost of anything. Um, yeah..."security
reasons"...good one, guys...I'm sure every terrorist from al Quida to the
Baader-Meinhoffers are sitting around whining that if only someone would slip up
and let out what the canapes cost, they could destroy the
infidels/capitalists/whatevers...and they really had their lil' ol' hearts set
on a hearty "MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"...

HTH,

Old November 4th, 2010, 01:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

have a un safe trip o'bummer