Clark's Hill Tournament

Old March 24th, 2009, 02:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Clark's Hill Tournament

Friday - March 20, 2009 - Day 79

Clark’s Hill Lake - March 20 - 22

Spalding County Sportsman Club Tournament

Water very muddy up Little River above Mistletoe, clear below the
bridge

Temps from 54 to 63 - depending on wind and sun

Friday, March 20 - Cold, bright sun and wind

Niles and I had driven over Thursday night and set up camp. Water
looked very muddy at Mistletoe State Park and it was cold when we got
up at 7 AM. Got on the water at about 9 after checking in and the
water was muddy. Ran out to a rock ridge I like and tried a crankbait
- could see it down about three or four inches. Water was 56 degrees

No hits on the ridge and the wind was rough. Ran up to the small creek
where I won last year and it was bad muddy, too. A spinner bait would
disappear completely 4 inches down. Worked around it with a variety of
lures but no hits.

Headed downstream to find clear water. As soon as we neared the bridge
could tell a difference. Checked out some backouts and points but
nothing. At least the water was clear. Found 63 degree water in the
coves where wind was blowing in and had been in sun.

At about 2:00 ran to some rocky points in the mouth of Mosely Creek
and fished them with with wind blowing in. Niles got a good 2.5
pounder on a trap and I got a 3 pounder on a jig head on consecutive
points - told him I knew where we would go first thing tomorrow
morning.

Fished a few more spots trying to figure out something but no hits. At
about 3:30 my batteries got weak - not good, we are fishing 10 hours
tomorrow. Headed back to ramp, checking some spots for water color on
the way back. Back of Gray’s Creek was stained but looked ok.

Loaded the boat and ran into town to Walmart and got two new
batteries. Old ones were 25 months old - did not take the time to see
if they still had any value, were replacement guaranteed for 18
months.

Back at the campground grilled some pork chops and hit the sack at 9
pm.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Saturday - March 21, 2009 - Day 80

Saturday, March 21 - Cold, hazy clouds and wind

At the ramp David said his truck thermometer showed 38 - and it felt
it. Never warmed up much all day with the wind and hazy clouds.

Took of just before safe light at 7 AM and ran down to rocky points in
Mosley Creek. Saw a tournament taking off from Cherokee Ramp as we
went by. Started on one point and Niles said something about another
boat - looked and a guy in a Skeeter was on the point just outside the
one we stopped on - I never saw him, hate to pull in right in front of
another fisherman. I started throwing a Yozuri Shallowvibe and Niles
threw his chrome trap. We worked that point fairly slowly and the
other boat idled around to the next point and started working it.

We kept fishing and he went into a pocket - I went across to the next
point. Kept fishing down the bank but no hits. At 8:00 on the very
last point inside the cove with wind blowing in on it I got a solid 2
pounder on the Yozuri. One in the live well at 8 AM.

We worked back up the points but no hits. Ran to the very back of
Double Branches, the other creek coming in here, and started throwing
a jerk bait, working it over the flooded grass. Clark’s Hill came up
about six feet on March 1 and another foot last weekend so there is a
lot of dead grass out to 7 feet, then hydrilla in some spots from 8 to
15 feet.

About the third cast I caught a 2 pounder on the Pointer. Two in the
boat at 9. Worked the back of the creek and fished a brush pile in 12
feet of water on the lip of the channel hard - not a bite. I was sure
the brush pile would hold fish and had marked it yesterday so I could
find it easily with the higher water. Last time I was here it was
visible.

At 10 ran back out to the rocky points and started fishing them with a
jig head. Just inside the first point I pulled the jighead out of some
grasss and got a thump - landed a 14 inch keeper about 1.5 pounds.
Three in the boat at 10 - seemed I was on an appointment on each hour!

A few minutes later in the back of the pocket I pulled the jig out of
some grass but the grass moved - fish had it. By the time I got smart
enough to set the hook it was gone. One miss.

On a rocky point a few minutes later I thought my line was moving out
and tightened up just in time to feel a fish spit the lure. Two had
made fools of me - should have a limit.

We worked on around the cove fishing a variety of baits. Shallow cove
looked good with grass in it but no hits and no movement. I told Niles
I was glad we had some cloud cover in the clear water and I was afraid
I had blown a limit already.

At 11:50 we had worked to the end of a small island and I was throwing
the jig head and Niles was still on the Trap. I felt a fish start out
with my jighead and as I set the hook Niles said “There’s one, get the
net.” I quickly landed my little bass, swinging it over the side, and
grabbed the net as it fell off on the back platform. Didn’t think it
was a keeper but knocked it in the bottom of the boat with the net
and then netted a good 2.5 pounder for Niles. Picked up my fish and
it barely touched - four in the live well at 11:50 but really needed
to cull, but too early to think about that.

Worked into the cove behind the island and got a thump and set the
hook on a solid keeper - five in the live well at noon, but one just
touched.

We worked all around there and Niles got another keeper off the island
on a crankbait. Worked the rocky points again but nothing. Lots of
boats running by now - a big tournament had taken off downstream of us
at daylight. Boats had run by us for at least 30 minutes when they
took off, from Wildwood probably.

At about 3 I had not had another bite and we ran across to the other
side of the river to a small creek with rocky points going in. Within
a few casts I got a thump on the jig head and landed a solid keeper -
culled the little one.

We fished those areas until quitting time at 5 PM but no hits for
either of us - very frustrating. The water where I got my last fish
was 63 degrees, thought they would be active.

At weigh-in first place was just over 11 pounds - Russell had got on a
good pattern down in Keg Creek, fishing wind blown rocky points. He
had a 5 pound kicker with his limit. Second was 4 at 9 pounds, caught
in the muddy water around the ramp. My five weighed 8.5 for third. We
had a 6.15 pounder weighed in - only fish he had, and it came from the
mud. Also had several more over 4 pounds each, most from the muddy
water, but those guys had only one or two fish.

Grilled a steak and got a hot shower, was in bed before 9 PM.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old March 24th, 2009, 02:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Sunday - March 22, 2009 - Day 81

Sunday, March 22 - Cold, bright sun and no wind

Felt even colder running down to the rocky points - about a six mile
run. Some patchy fog - not a breath of breeze. And the sky was crystal
clear.

Fishing the rocky points I got a keeper on a crankbait at 7:30 - told
Niles maybe that was a good sign. We watched five boats go in where I
had got my jerk bait fish the day before so didn’t even try it. Worked
that points, island where we got three the day before, all around.
Nothing, no hits at all. Ran across to the small rocky creek. No hits
there either.

At 10:45 told Niles we had to make a change - the water was too clear
in the bright sun. Ran up to the small creek where I won last year.
Didn’t really have any hope - could see my jighead down about 4
inches. Very muddy.

Fished the rocky point there and worked in to some brush. Nothing.
Felt the need to get rid of some used coffee so turned and made a long
cast up the bank and put the rod under my arm. About half way through
a fish tried to pull the rod away from me! I “set the hook” by turning
my body with the rod under my arm - finally got my hands on the
fishing rod and managed to land a solid 3 pounder - told Niles it was
a suicide fish! Two in the boat at 10:30.

We worked that area hard then jumped across to an island with some
rocks. As we fished it Niles saw fish schooling back in a pocket. Ran
into it with the trolling motor on high but didn’t get any hits.

Noticed some brush and stumps in the very back in the flooded grass -
only about a foot deep. Worked a spinner bait though it and caught a
1.5 pounder. Big change of pattern, very shallow. Three in the boat at
12:30.

We worked all around that area but no more activity. Went back to
where I had caught the three pounder but nothing. Decided to run the
two shallow pockets with spinner bait and fish the two points on them
with about 1.5 hours left.

Nothing hit around the first pocket although we saw lots of baitfish
activity and one big swirl. When we got to the first point I ran my
spinner bait over it- it is clay with an old roadbed crossing it,
rocks and brush piles. No hits.

I threw my jighead near some of the brush and it got heavy - set the
hook and landed a good keeper. Four at 1:15 - not much time left.

Nothing hit around the next cove but as we got to the next point I
told Niles there was a fish there. It is clay with scattered rock and
the road bed crosses it, too. I have caught a good many fish where the
roadbed makes a dropoff.

I cast to it and so did Niles - no bites. Cast back and felt a hard
thump on my jighead and could not see or feel my line. Finally
realized the fish was headed to me and I set the hook - hard. A big
fish fought for a few seconds then pulled off - left a huge boil. Hook
on my jighead was straightened out - too hard a hook set on short
line, tight drag and 15 pound line.

Worked the point hard with just few minutes left. Cast to the dock on
the point and when I tightened up my line was sliding down the dock
cable - I thought until I felt the fish spit out my bait. I told Niles
missing two late fish like that was going to cost me.

At weigh-in my four went 8.5 pounds, giving me 17 for the two days and
first place.. Guy in first had three little fish - no wind killed his
pattern. He ended up with 14 pounds and second. Guy that had 9 pounds
the first day had gone - no fish. Third was just over 12, fourth just
under 12. Was real happy with the win on a tough, changing weekend.
Not as many big fish today - 6.15 held on for big fish.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old March 24th, 2009, 05:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Congrats Ronnie....great win, I know you were a little disappointed in
the last couple tournaments...this should raise your confidence a
little, not to mention your spirits!

John B

========

Old March 25th, 2009, 01:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Congrats Ronnie....great win, I know you were a little disappointed
in
the last couple tournaments...this should raise your confidence a
little, not to mention your spirits!

John B

Thanks - any win is a good one. I have been frustrated and this
weekend was the same, expected to catch a bunch more. At least I am
fishing!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com