Lay Lake Alabama

Old March 8th, 2009, 01:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Lay Lake Alabama

Thursday - March 5, 2009 - Day 64

Lay Lake - March 5 - Sunny cool day, water temps 50 in most areas

Water stained, some snow still on shady spots

For the sites that pull these reports, see more info at my site at
http://fishing.about.com

I met Brandon Ligon at Beeswax Ramp about an hour and half after
sunrise to get info for an Alabama Outdoor News article. We headed out
to a main lake ridge. It was not a real cold day but I wore my
snowmobile suit - had not felt real good when I got up, almost felt
like I had a little fever, but seemed ok after the three hour, 170
mile drive.

Brandon threw a Carolina rig some while I took notes but got no hits.
Pretty quick we ran down to the mouth of Cedar Creek and he started
casting a crankbait to a shallow grass point. I was still taking notes
but when he hooked a 3 pound spot I put my notepad down and grabbed a
rod with a Yozuri Shallowvibe bait. First cast I hooked a fish I
figured had to be a striper or hybrid - it made a long strong run and
pulled like crazy but pulled off.

Next cast I hooked another amazingly strong fish that fought to the
boat. It was a 3.5 pound spot. Those Coosa spots are strong fish!
Brandon got another spot close to 4 pounds on a Trap before the
feeding spree seemed to die. We worked into the pocket behind the
point and he got a 2.5 pound largemouth off the grass there.

Those first four fish weighed about 13 pounds - I would take that
start in any tournament! We hit several similar points but no takers
over the next two hours.

We spent about an hour back in some spawning areas around noon, mainly
for Brandon to show me what he looked for when sight fishing. It is
still too early there and the run-off from the snow had the back of
the creeks and pockets real cold. Water dropped from 48 at the mouth
of the one we want back in to 44 in the very back.

Back out on main lake points Brandon hooked a bass on a jig but it
came off. He then caught two more 3.5 pound spots off it but I didn’t
get hit.

After a few more places I hooked a 3 pound plus spot right at the boat
on the Yozuri. It fought good on the short line.

We hit a few more spots but the trolling motor was getting weak - we
were in a borrowed boat. Decided to head in - which was ok, I had
started feeling worse. I had eaten a sweet roll and it felt like a
lump in my stomach.

Started taking pictures for the article and suddenly told Brandon to
take me to the bank right now. I barely got out and got my pants down.
Thought I felt better till I straightened up - then started throwing
up.

Managed to get back in the boat and take more pictures, having to stop
once to throw up again. Left and headed home, stopped to throw up
after about 30 minutes. Miserable trying to drive. Almost stopped at
the emergency room in Alexander City but kept going. Stopped for gas
and as soon as I opened the door and the cool air hit me I started
having chills - hurt every time I moved. Ever try to drive 2.5 hours
without moving? Had to stop one more time.

Made it home and got in bed at 9 PM - and slept til noon Friday,
waking up every two hours or so until 3 am. 15 hours in the bed.
Started feeling a little better at about 3 am and was able to start
drinking water. That helped.

Miserable ending to a good day. I have not hated traveling that much
since the last time I had to get on an airplane.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
What me worry?

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 17:56:11 -0800 (PST), Ronnie
backed into a tree whilst ridin inna park
then wrote:

Thursday - March 5, 2009 - Day 64

Lay Lake - March 5 - Sunny cool day, water temps 50 in most areas

Water stained, some snow still on shady spots

For the sites that pull these reports, see more info at my site at
http://fishing.about.com

Noticed that huh?

I met Brandon Ligon at Beeswax Ramp about an hour and half after
sunrise to get info for an Alabama Outdoor News article. We headed out
to a main lake ridge. It was not a real cold day but I wore my
snowmobile suit - had not felt real good when I got up, almost felt
like I had a little fever, but seemed ok after the three hour, 170
mile drive.

Oh oh, BTDT.

Brandon threw a Carolina rig some while I took notes but got no hits.
Pretty quick we ran down to the mouth of Cedar Creek and he started
casting a crankbait to a shallow grass point. I was still taking notes
but when he hooked a 3 pound spot I put my notepad down and grabbed a
rod with a Yozuri Shallowvibe bait. First cast I hooked a fish I
figured had to be a striper or hybrid - it made a long strong run and
pulled like crazy but pulled off.

Next cast I hooked another amazingly strong fish that fought to the
boat. It was a 3.5 pound spot. Those Coosa spots are strong fish!
Brandon got another spot close to 4 pounds on a Trap before the
feeding spree seemed to die. We worked into the pocket behind the
point and he got a 2.5 pound largemouth off the grass there.

Big Spots.

Those first four fish weighed about 13 pounds - I would take that
start in any tournament! We hit several similar points but no takers
over the next two hours.

Woulda made a nice bag.

We spent about an hour back in some spawning areas around noon, mainly
for Brandon to show me what he looked for when sight fishing. It is
still too early there and the run-off from the snow had the back of
the creeks and pockets real cold. Water dropped from 48 at the mouth
of the one we want back in to 44 in the very back.

Back out on main lake points Brandon hooked a bass on a jig but it
came off. He then caught two more 3.5 pound spots off it but I didn’t
get hit.

After a few more places I hooked a 3 pound plus spot right at the boat
on the Yozuri. It fought good on the short line.

Do Spots normally fight more/harder than Largemouth?

We hit a few more spots but the trolling motor was getting weak - we
were in a borrowed boat. Decided to head in - which was ok, I had
started feeling worse. I had eaten a sweet roll and it felt like a
lump in my stomach.

I knew it.

[...]

Not a way to end a day of fishing. Glad to hear you are feeling
better!
---

Dan TOASTY in Florida for now

Remove the X for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

I was fine the next day - other than being tired and sore. Found out
at my club tournament today at least six other club members have had
the same bug in the last week or so, lasting 24 to 48 hours. It is
nasty.

Spots do fight harder than largemouth - more like a smallmouth.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old March 9th, 2009, 02:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
What me worry?

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 18:21:01 -0700 (PDT), Ronnie
then wrote:

I was fine the next day - other than being tired and sore. Found out
at my club tournament today at least six other club members have had
the same bug in the last week or so, lasting 24 to 48 hours. It is
nasty.

That one or two day stuff can be a killer.

Spots do fight harder than largemouth - more like a smallmouth.

There are supposed to be spots around here. All next week is going to
be in the 80s. Hope I'll feel good enough to go out later in the
week. Water temps should be up too.

Dan
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

then wrote:

I was fine the next day - other than being tired and sore. Found out
at my club tournament today at least six other club members have had
the same bug in the last week or so, lasting 24 to 48 hours. It is
nasty.

That one or two day stuff can be a killer.

Spots do fight harder than largemouth - more like a smallmouth.

There are supposed to be spots around here.

When hooked, most of the time the spots will run deep (not jump, or even
surface head shake, I can always tell the difference between a spot
and LM, before even seeing the fish, spots do indeed pull out more line,
lb for lb than a Bucket mouth does. 90+ percent of the bass I catch are
spots, mainly due to me fishing in or near fast water most of the time.
Spots love moving water :-)
--
Secret Weapon Recoil Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
What me worry?

then wrote:

I was fine the next day - other than being tired and sore. Found out
at my club tournament today at least six other club members have had
the same bug in the last week or so, lasting 24 to 48 hours. It is
nasty.

That one or two day stuff can be a killer.

Spots do fight harder than largemouth - more like a smallmouth.

There are supposed to be spots around here.

When hooked, most of the time the spots will run deep (not jump, or even
surface head shake, I can always tell the difference between a spot
and LM, before even seeing the fish, spots do indeed pull out more line,
lb for lb than a Bucket mouth does. 90+ percent of the bass I catch are
spots, mainly due to me fishing in or near fast water most of the time.
Spots love moving water :-)

With the water in nearby lakes as low as it is, the only moving water
is in the rivers. The Tsala Apopka lakes are about 7 feet low. There
are areas, cause the lakes are so shallow, that have 100+ feet of
bottom exposed. Many connecting channels are impassible so current is
at a minimum or non existent. The lake doesn't have much in the way
of structure either, it's like a large shallow silt bottomed bowl.
Hopefully with the warmer weather the Bass and Crappies will be moving
in to spawn soon. Evidently the "cold" fronts moving in every 3/4
days have kept spawning at bay.

Dan