Fishing Poles.....

Old March 18th, 2007, 11:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Sandy Joren

Default Fishing Poles.....

Now....how bout that. When was the last time you heard any reference a rod
as a fishing pole. However, I am a transplanted Georgia redneck that can
never forget my roots.......

A serious question now. If you were limited to only four rods (or poles) on
your boat and were strictly fishing for bass, What would those rods be.
Please try to be as specific as possible. For example: For plastics -
G-Loomis GL2 spinning rod 6' 6" ML.

I ask because I intend to try something different this year on the ABA draw
trail. Being a non-boater, I want to try to expand my experience fishing
with a limited but well thought out selection of hardware. I know there
will probably be folks that say this is the wrong approach and I should have
the hardware necessary to adapt to any circumstances, but I want to test my
ability to adapt and catch fish with only four poles (there....I said it
again).

P.S. Of course, I will still need a fork lift to put my tackle bag in the
boat....... Thanks in advance for your guidance...

--
Sandy Joren
Il pesce tutto il giorno. La bevanda tutta la notte.

Old March 18th, 2007, 12:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Sandy,

If it ain't got a reel on it, and the line is tied to the end, it's a
pole. Otherwise, it's a rod.

The 4 rods I would use would be different based on time of year, what I
could reasonably expect to encounter, etc.
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Sandy Joren" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Rich, if it's got a reel, it's a ROD!!! It's like petting a cat
the wrong way when I hear someone talk about their fishing pole!

I also agree that a lot of my rod selection would be determined by the lake
being fished and the time of year. However, if I had to limit it to four
rods, they would be a;

7' medium light spinning rod with an extra fast tip.

7' medium baitcaster with a fast tip.

7' medium heavy baitcaster, extra fast tip.

7'6" flipping stick.

If I could bring a 5th rod, it would be a 7' medium spinning.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 18th, 2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:
snip
I agree with Rich, if it's got a reel, it's a ROD!!! It's like petting a cat
the wrong way when I hear someone talk about their fishing pole! ...

My wife calls my fly rods "fishing sticks" but I think she's just
trying to be a smart aleck. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Sandy Joren" wrote in message

I ask because I intend to try something different this year on the ABA
draw trail. Being a non-boater, I want to try to expand my experience
fishing with a limited but well thought out selection of hardware. I know
there will probably be folks that say this is the wrong approach and I
should have the hardware necessary to adapt to any circumstances, but I
want to test my ability to adapt and catch fish with only four poles
(there....I said it again).

Nothing wrong with your approach. I know guys who have fished as a
non-boater for decades. The older more experienced guys usually carry 4-5
rods. The younger guys try, but they usually wind up with 8.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old March 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message

[...]

Amazingly on the other side of the country and typically fishing a totally
different environemnt my selection would be very similar.

7' medium light spinning rod with an extra fast tip.

6'10" St Croix Drop Shot Rod. (also works well for finnesse Senko fishing
when you have to go to long casts with 4" worms.

7' medium baitcaster with a fast tip.

Yep. Pretty much my number 2 choice as a semi-universal rod.

7' medium heavy baitcaster, extra fast tip.

Jig pole. You betcha. Also can be used in some flipping circumstances, but
see below on that.

7'6" flipping stick.

I'm particular about my flipping sticks. Every inch of reach counts when
you spend 90% of your time reaching back in river cane duirng the summer.
8' Tica TC3, St Croix 7'11", or KIng Cobra 7' 11 3/4" short handle custom
with titanium tip top.

If I could bring a 5th rod, it would be a 7' medium spinning.

This is actually my number 1 choice as a semi universal rod. Quantum seems
to make a bunch of them from cheap to fairley expensive that fish this class
very well. The biggest difference I have noticed between the cheap ones and
the more expensive Tour Editions is the durability. I actually have six
identical rods int his class. All Quantum Tour TES704F. There is a guy on
EBAY who always has this 80 dollar rod on sale for 39.95.

My fifth rod would be a Med-Hvy Fast 7' St Croix Avid spinning rod spooled
with 12lb Seaguar Carbon Pro. Ideally I use this rod for fishing wacky
senkos in light cover, open water, and even pockets in heavier cover.
However, it will also work well when swimming weightless magnum size worms
through tree tops.

Old March 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mike

St. Croix TWS68MXF (or AS68MXF)
St. Croix TBC68MXF
St. Croix TBC70MHF
St. Croix TBC70MHM

It's probably obvious that I like the St. Croix Tournament series of rods,
but I do like the Avid spinning rods too. I don't care much for the Avid
casting rods; I don't like the grip. The two 7 foot rods would be general
purpose rods, the spinning rod for drop-shotting and any other spinning
applications and the 6'8" casting rod for lighter plastics. I'd cap the
casting rods with Shimano Curado reels; 201s for the 7' rods and a 101 for
the 6'8" rod. I'd put a Stradic on the spinning rod.

Old March 19th, 2007, 11:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan

Sandy Joren wrote:
[...]

Fishing rod

Snoopy pole
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe Haubenreich

While cold Northern lakes are all covered with snow
Wordsmiths ruminate as frigid winds blow
And write definitions for those who would know
If a stick with a string is a "rod" or a "pole."

Each term its own meaning they do establish;
A "rod" or a "pole," is... whatever they wish.
That's fine; in that country hard water can't swish.
All winter, down South, we just take it... and fish!

My grandpa's homemade outfits -- 12-foot bamboo poles with homemade guides
and rude, wired-on reels that amounted to not much more than a
line-holders -- were the poliest-looking rods I've ever seen. In the lexicon
of rural Tennessee, "swells" from the city carried "rods" while home folk
used "poles." It's a Southern thang.

Joe
--------------

Old March 24th, 2007, 12:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Henry Hefner Henry Hefner is offline
Junior Member

On Mar 22, 7:59 pm, "Joe Haubenreich"
wrote:

snip

In the lexicon
of rural Tennessee, "swells" from the city carried "rods" while home folk
used "poles." It's a Southern thang.

Joe

"Wanna Coke?"
"Yeah"