Fly Fishing Question

Old August 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
samurai

Default Fly Fishing Question

I'm a happy and satisfied member (well almost) of a local club which
has access to many good stretches of the Upper Don in West Yorkshire,
UK. My biggest problem is casting into small pools overhung with trees
which both prevent easy overhead casting from the bank and pose a
problem if you're in the water! Advice, technique, tips please!

Thanks,

Fly Fishing Guide Book
http://angelfit.flyfish.hop.clickbank.net/

Old August 20th, 2007, 02:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"samurai" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a happy and satisfied member (well almost) of a local club which
has access to many good stretches of the Upper Don in West Yorkshire,
UK. My biggest problem is casting into small pools overhung with trees
which both prevent easy overhead casting from the bank and pose a
problem if you're in the water! Advice, technique, tips please!

Thanks,

Fly Fishing Guide Book
http://angelfit.flyfish.hop.clickbank.net/

Rollcast.
-tom

Old August 20th, 2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:11:38 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

"samurai" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a happy and satisfied member (well almost) of a local club which
has access to many good stretches of the Upper Don in West Yorkshire,
UK. My biggest problem is casting into small pools overhung with trees
which both prevent easy overhead casting from the bank and pose a
problem if you're in the water! Advice, technique, tips please!

Thanks,

Fly Fishing Guide Book
http://angelfit.flyfish.hop.clickbank.net/

Rollcast.
-tom

I don't believe he has trees behind him, Tom, but wants to place the
fly under the trees along the banks of the river. A roll cast or
overhead cast wouldn't work. A side cast might work, or a
bow-and-arrow cast taught to me by roff's own Waldo Winters.

It's been many years since I have tried it, so maybe some of the North
Cacalackie boys will correct me if I am wrong in the description.

This is for a right handed person. Hold your rod in your left hand in
a horizontal position with the tip to your right. Draw out some line
from the reel, and hold the line tight with your left hand with
about six feet of line from the tip of the rod. Grasp the fly
*carefully* at the eye and make sure it will not snag you. Draw the
line back essentially making a bow out of the rod. The more you bend
the rod, the farther the fly will go, but be careful that when you
release the line that the fly doesn't hook your fingers. *Practice*
this on your lawn or in another safe place before you go to the stream
and try it. The first time I tried it I got the fly into the trees I
was trying to avoid. The very next cast I caught my finger with the
fly. *Practice* You might want to also try changing hands (rod in
right hand, left hand drawing back the "bow", and holding the fly at
the bend instead of the eye.

This technique works for very short casts, say about 10 - 15 feet.
Old Waldo has it down pat and is very accurate with his "bow".

Old August 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:11:38 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

"samurai" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Dave

Thanks Dave for the description on the bow-&-arrow cast. I've seen in
performed on mpg., and read about the b&a cast in magazines, but never tried
it. I'll look forward to giving it a go someday.
-tom

Old August 21st, 2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"samurai" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a happy and satisfied member (well almost) of a local club which
has access to many good stretches of the Upper Don in West Yorkshire,
UK. My biggest problem is casting into small pools overhung with trees
which both prevent easy overhead casting from the bank and pose a
problem if you're in the water! Advice, technique, tips please!

Thanks,

Fly Fishing Guide Book
http://angelfit.flyfish.hop.clickbank.net/

Fire a side arm...

....and if that don't work, toss in a grenade!

john

Old August 21st, 2007, 04:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:42:23 -0400, Dave LaCourse
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:11:38 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

"samurai" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Um....at the _eye_? I thought you and Walt were friends. Next time,
try grasping it at the bend of the hook, and you'll have a lot less to
worry about.

As to the OP's question, both of the casts Dave mentioned are good
possible alternatives (well, if you don't hook yourself trying to hold
onto the eye...), and you might consider a skip cast (essentially, just
like skipping a rock):

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/b...hniques_1.aspx

(It's an excerpt from an A. K. Best book)

TC,

Old August 21st, 2007, 08:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"samurai" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a happy and satisfied member (well almost) of a local club which
has access to many good stretches of the Upper Don in West Yorkshire,
UK. My biggest problem is casting into small pools overhung with trees
which both prevent easy overhead casting from the bank and pose a
problem if you're in the water! Advice, technique, tips please!

Thanks,

Fly Fishing Guide Book
http://angelfit.flyfish.hop.clickbank.net/

a good side arm roll cast is a valuable tool to have in these
situations.

Edmond Dantes

Old August 21st, 2007, 11:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
samurai

On 21 Aug, 08:33, Edmond Dantes wrote:
"samurai" wrote in message

ups.com...

I'm a happy and satisfied member (well almost) of a local club which
has access to many good stretches of the Upper Don in West Yorkshire,
UK. My biggest problem is casting into small pools overhung with trees
which both prevent easy overhead casting from the bank and pose a
problem if you're in the water! Advice, technique, tips please!

Thanks,

Fly Fishing Guide Book
http://angelfit.flyfish.hop.clickbank.net/

a good side arm roll cast is a valuable tool to have in these
situations.

Edmond Dantes

Thanks for the advice!... I'm going to have a go this weekend -
fingers crossed!

Old August 21st, 2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"samurai" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a happy and satisfied member (well almost) of a local club which
has access to many good stretches of the Upper Don in West Yorkshire,
UK. My biggest problem is casting into small pools overhung with trees
which both prevent easy overhead casting from the bank and pose a
problem if you're in the water! Advice, technique, tips please!

Thanks,

Fly Fishing Guide Book
http://angelfit.flyfish.hop.clickbank.net/

There many variations of the rollcast.
One of which I learned is where you form the "D-loop" right front of you and
roll the line right on top of the water. The idea is to keep the line
moving as you do so. It's best to use a soft flyrod and double taper line.
I use this cast when there are overhangs or sweepers preventing the overhead
or normal rollcast. It's also more of a finesse cast rather than a power
cast as with most of the variations of the rollcast. Practice the "over the
shoulder rollcast" as well, you'll need it depending on which way the wind
is blowing.
-tom