On topic fly tying

Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike

Default On topic fly tying

What is the easiest fly to tie........I have some tiger scouts looking
to get a fishing badge one of the requirements is to tie a fly as I
get the majority of my flies from my long tall friend I have never
learned to tie.......any help will be appreciated............

The Handy One
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Mike wrote:
What is the easiest fly to tie........

Most folks start off with the Wooly Bugger. The good things about
a Wooly Bugger are it's easy to tie and no matter how poorly it's
tied it can still catch a fish.

Good luck.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Dec 2, 12:10*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Mike wrote:
What is the easiest fly to tie........

Most folks start off with the Wooly Bugger. The good things about
a Wooly Bugger are it's easy to tie and no matter how poorly it's
tied it can still catch a fish.

I concur with the Wooly Bugger suggestion, tho oddly enough, I
remember this question being asked a while back; and someone taking
issue with the simplicity. Still, you tie stuff to a big hook, wrap
some more stuff around it, and tie it off. Walla! Like Ken says,
even an ugly one is still a good fly.

Joe F.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peaceful Bill

wrote:
Mike wrote:
What is the easiest fly to tie........

Most folks start off with the Wooly Bugger. The good things about
a Wooly Bugger are it's easy to tie and no matter how poorly it's
tied it can still catch a fish.

I concur with the Wooly Bugger suggestion, tho oddly enough, I
remember this question being asked a while back; and someone taking
issue with the simplicity. Still, you tie stuff to a big hook, wrap
some more stuff around it, and tie it off. Walla! Like Ken says,
even an ugly one is still a good fly.

Joe F.

The easiest? How about a hare's ear scud? Even ribbed, its very easy
to tie and catches fish.

Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike

Sorry should have mentioned these kids are 6 years old...........The
easier the better
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Mike wrote:
What is the easiest fly to tie........I have some tiger scouts looking
to get a fishing badge one of the requirements is to tie a fly as I
get the majority of my flies from my long tall friend I have never
learned to tie.......any help will be appreciated............

The Handy One

A large hackled spider. On at least a size eight hook. This is merely a
thread body, and a hackle at the head.

Although many people advise woolly buggers and similar stuff, the fact
is that these are simply too complex for beginners, require too many
different techniques, and too much precise manipulation.

The simple hackle spider will also catch fish.

There are still various ways to dress such a spider.

For info on a simple way;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tln6uj9AUrY

Or you can try something like this, whcih is nearly as easy, and will
also catch fish;

http://copperfly.net/foamspider.php

None of the tools described are actually necessary, although a simple
vice can help, and scissors are required to cut thread, hackle etc.

For a cheap vice;

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...cast/rc161.php

TL
MC

Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Mike" wrote in message
What is the easiest fly to tie........I have some tiger scouts looking
to get a fishing badge one of the requirements is to tie a fly as I
get the majority of my flies from my long tall friend I have never
learned to tie.......any help will be appreciated............

The Handy One

Ditto on the Wooly bugger. It's the first fly I taught my son and he picked
it up easy. Best part, he caught fish on it the next day...

JT

Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On Dec 2, 11:59*am, Mike wrote:
What is the easiest fly to tie........I have some tiger scouts looking
to get a fishing badge one of the requirements is to tie a fly as I
get the majority of my flies from my long tall friend I have never
learned to tie.......any help will be appreciated............

* * * * * The Handy One

In our tying classes, the first fly is always the Woolly Worm. A bit
easier to tie than the Bugger, it is ideal for a fist timer. Generally
the next fly in the series would be a simple, wingless wet fly, like
the Grey Hackle Peacock.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

For ABSOLUTE beginners, who have never tried to dress a fly before, the
simple hackle flies are best. Just a thread body and hackle.

Even then, some things need to be learned, here are some general
introductions ;

http://ukflydressing.proboards47.com...lay&thread=744

Some complete beginner videos;

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1470

Loads of step by steps, techniques, etc etc;

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14091

TL
MC
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

This is a fly many begin with, although the herl body adds another step
and material;

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=514

TL
MC