Line oil?

Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
QUAKEnSHAKE

Default Line oil?

Hi
Any here ever use "line oil"?
Im having an issue with Stren SuperBraid sticking to itself. The green
coloring stuff that is on it gunks-up my reel too (pflueger 1806
underspin).
Ive looked in BPS catalog and saw some products

(ie Kevin Vandam line/lure conditioner)

that might seem to clear this issue up. The price though seems a bit
steep $9 /2oz I believe.
Any alternative say 3-in-1 oil or a squirt of WD40 would this be bad on
braid or worse repel fish?
Thanks
Ray

Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles Summers

Are you sure you're talking about braided line? Or could it be the fusion?
Never seen braid stick to itself, other than digging into itself on the
spool making it hard to unspool... but the fusion stuff always acted weird.

Never use an oil based lubricant on anything you put in the water. It may
not hurt your fishing, but it will pollute the water.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Hi
Any here ever use "line oil"?
Im having an issue with Stren SuperBraid sticking to itself. The green
coloring stuff that is on it gunks-up my reel too (pflueger 1806
underspin).
**Ive looked in BPS catalog and saw some products
(ie Kevin Vandam line/lure conditioner)
**that might seem to clear this issue up. The price though seems a
bit steep $9 /2oz I believe.
**Any alternative say 3-in-1 oil or a squirt of WD40 would this be
bad on braid or worse repel fish?
Thanks

Ray

==========

Ray, maybe I'm out of touch with all the new fangled "stuff" they have
on the market....but it seems to me that if I had a line that was
gunking up my reel, I'd throw it in the trash can, and buy something
different! I know I wouldn't go looking for another new product to "fix"
it.

I know it's no help....just a thought!

John B

Old April 4th, 2008, 05:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
QUAKEnSHAKE

Hi THANKS all for your input.
I looked around some and this stuff
RealMagic
http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/16524/reviews.htm
I saw it at WallyWorld and picked it up. Ill see if it helps, It says
its Enviro safe. All my other reels could use a good cleaning and lube
so it will serve more than a single purpose.
Ill let ya's know how it does.

Ray

Old April 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"QUAKEnSHAKE" wrote in message
Hi THANKS all for your input.
I looked around some and this stuff
RealMagic
http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/16524/reviews.htm
I saw it at WallyWorld and picked it up. Ill see if it helps, It says
its Enviro safe. All my other reels could use a good cleaning and lube
so it will serve more than a single purpose.
Ill let ya's know how it does.

Ray

You can try it, but before you spray the snot all over your reel, give this
a try. Most of the time when someone is having problems with superlines
"sticking" it's actually because the line was spooled on too loosely and its
cutting down into the spool.

Tie one end of the line to something solid. Put the reel in free spool and
back up, unloading all of your line. Now, with the drag cranked down solid,
keep steady pressure on the line and keep a good bend in the rod and slowly
reel the line back on the spool. This will ensure that the line is on the
spool nice and tight and I'd be willing to bet that your "sticking" problems
will go away. If that doesn't work (but I think it will), then spray the
line...

As far as the coating coming off the line, they all do it, some lines more
than others. When the reel is dry, much of that will simply blow off with
compressed air. Or simply wipe it off. As the line breaks in, the coating
goop coming off will lessen and become a non-issue.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
QUAKEnSHAKE

Steve I didnt see your post in time right after my last post I went to
use the stuff.
The spray worked it now casts great. I had my son get his reel another
underspin he has Trilene XL and gave it a squirt it seemed to help get
more distance as well. Just this short exposure Im happy.
I posted before/after pics at